What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root Ball Medicine for Pain, Inflammation and More?

thailer

have you or anyone considered using comfrey in your salves? i have a friend who fell through a delapidated building floor and the beam hit him right in the nut sack causing deep bruising and inflammation. he used a comfrey poultice daily and healed twice as fast as the doctor said it would take. it gave me the idea to add some to the oil since comfrey is called knitbone because of its healing properties. i don't really have any way to test it because i only have one patient who has arthritis and she just keeps saying "oh it's so good" so i don't know how good my feedback is. lol

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
How well do arnica and calendula oils penetrate? The frankincense does help healing, but it's amazing as a carrier and helps the olive oil penetrate so quickly it's ridiculous. :)

I believe I tried comfrey and it was too thick? Then again, I do not remember if I was using frankincense back then to speed absorption. I'll have to revisit it. Thanks ;)

Tolerance? Not yet anyway. I do see a reduced need to use it after a while. It took about a week of daily applications (sometimes twice a day) for the pain to subside in my hip. Now I'm using the oil every 2-3 days when it begins to flare up again.

Why? Have you noticed any tolerance build up?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
How well do arnica and calendula oils penetrate? The frankincense does help healing, but it's amazing as a carrier and helps the olive oil penetrate so quickly it's ridiculous. :)

I believe I tried comfrey and it was too thick? Then again, I do not remember if I was using frankincense back then to speed absorption. I'll have to revisit it. Thanks ;)

Tolerance? Not yet anyway. I do see a reduced need to use it after a while. It took about a week of daily applications (sometimes twice a day) for the pain to subside in my hip. Now I'm using the oil every 2-3 days when it begins to flare up again.

Why? Have you noticed any tolerance build up?
No sir, just curious. Thinking of making some for elderly patients with arthritis, and a man with gout.
Just wondering if we build tolerance to topicals, even without THC or CBD.

Douglas.Curtis

I'll be interested to see the long term results as well. So far, people are really appreciating getting the use of their hands/shoulders/hips and whatnot back without pain. :)

We'll know more in a month. :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No sir, just curious. Thinking of making some for elderly patients with arthritis, and a man with gout.
Just wondering if we build tolerance to topicals, even without THC or CBD.

No build up tolerance that I'm aware. Have used it for years and have elderly clients that faithfully use it. Arnica can cause a burning sensation....easy does it.

I use arnica massage oil (Sunflower Seed Oil, Arnica Oil, Olive Oil, Lavender Oil) and will incorporate comfrey next batch. Growing arnica, calendula and other medicinal herbs.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Made another batch of this based off of "Holy Anointing Oil".

10 fl oz. rootball infused coconut oil
64 g beeswax
1 fl oz. green dragon tincture
0.5 g CBD Isolate
1.0 ml cinnamon bark oil
1.0 ml cinnamon leaf oil
0.5 ml myrrh oil

picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Does it matter if the roots are old and dry? I had a pile of un washed dried up roots. Some maybe a year old. Found it the other day.
Still a few small bits of peat and perlite stuck between some roots, so it needs to be washed.

Does this change anything?

Now that the roots are dry, when I wash off the debris, will I wash off the medicine?

Maybe I need to collect the wash water, and filter and evaporate?
Then add back the concentrate to the roots / oil mix.

Been wanting to try this, but to be honest, I'm really a lazy bastard.

Reactions: ost

Douglas.Curtis

Rinse and process. All the extractions I've seen so far are oil or alcohol based, so I'm pretty sure the compounds you want (if they're still there) will be fine with washing. :)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Thanks DC. Hopefully the compounds are still there.
One day soon I'm going to surprise my Canna mentor with cannabis pain rub for his shoulder.
He told me that the only thing that makes pain less is smoking a certain GSC (probably fake) cut that I shared with him two years ago.
Makes me wonder if the compounds in the roots are strain specific- like the cannabinoids in the Trichomes.

I may make root balm out of all of my old roots, then another from just the gsc. See which works better.

Guess I shouldn't do it with the old roots, in case it skews data.

Douglas.Curtis

I found the same relief from a single plant, and from roots of a few different plants combined. There may be differences, but at this point I don't believe they're commonly a big difference. At least not enough for me to tell anyway. lol

Process the old roots if you can, I have two 6 month old root balls as well and am interested in your results. :)

squatty

I was considering using a pressure washer to rinse outdoor cannabis roots after harvest in the fall.

Drewsif

The first bread made by upright man was from fern root starches. We have really lost our connection to roots. I've completely discredited Christianity for their shunning of root medicine as its illogical to not embrace.

And looking at trends over the last 100 years, fermentation will be the next severed tie between man and nature.

Douglas.Curtis

Still working great here. Looking forward to doing another batch, since I'm almost out of the last one. Makes my clicky/grinding hip sooooo much nicer. lol

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I froze some washed roots and used hammer in a kitchen cloth to smash roots, then wrapped in cheese cloth, organic coconut oil/water in slow cooker, then mix with bees wax.

My experiment is one of my clients, 90 y.o. gracious gal with neuropathy. She finds some relief, but likes the Arnica-canna salve I've made prior.