What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flushing peat soil, wont remove beneficial bacteria?

Hubbleman

Veteran
Got some good peat based soil finally. I dont think theres nutes in there... shoild i flush it just in case to remove cheap nutes if there present or that will remove good bacteria too?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peat is not inert. This is one thing I proved in my career. It contains varying volumes of microbes, depending on location of harvest.

h.h.

Veteran
Is SPM the home or the host?

If I were to ship it from Canada to Mexico, would there be a microbial exchange along the way?

Asking for a friend.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is SPM the home or the host?

If I were to ship it from Canada to Mexico, would there be a microbial exchange along the way?

Asking for a friend.

Don't totally understand this. Similar to compost.

These are spores. Is a tomato seed still a tomato seed shipped to Mexico?

H.h.- no need to ship from Canada. You can order from San Diego or somewhere else along the border and save on some shipping cost. Even home depot carries peat. Albeit it being sunshine brand so lower quality than say Alaskan brand.

h.h.

Veteran
It was just a question out if curiosity.

If the microbial footprint would change from being shipped to a different area?

Or stored at Home Depot for 6 months?
I think Tim answered my question.
Spores should survive.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Regardless, all Canadian peat is shipped from Canada. The one thought I had was that long term storage in the hot sun could kill some spores, the same as seeds are killed this way. It is likely best to purchase where there is a large turn over. The peat I just got turned out to not be Premier brand....disappointed. It is Bergers and it is shipped in black plastic....not brilliant. I'll test it for microbes.

Sunshineinabag

Idk if u guys are aware of this but u can crate your own pretty easily. Can u imagine the fungus straisn in a hoarders house!???? Lmao!? I used to use sunshine mix, pro mix, all those peat based soilless types......then I realized the center of my homestate has done all the hard work for me.....they sell a product called fort light which is a compost based soil mix they have already amended in 20 quart burlap bags..l...u just plant u ladies in each 20 quart bag........(17bucks a bag btw) then let them thrive until the roots have filled the burlap sack its planted in. Then just by a bag of his compost plus to top dress when needed! Easy peasy lemon squeezey! I haven't looked back since! Worth every damn penny! No more issues!
Then we wait till harvest ..........dump all the root bound burlap as into kiddy pool....chop em up and add a cup of compost plus to each bag.....mix em up resume em AGAIN!

h.h.

Veteran
Will the local microbial life outcompete the imported ones or will the imported microbes win?
Will the imports be invasive?
Or am I just setting up a false scenario?
Any local alternatives to spm?
Horse manure?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will the local microbial life outcompete the imported ones or will the imported microbes win?
Will the imports be invasive?
Or am I just setting up a false scenario?
Any local alternatives to spm?
Horse manure?

1/ Usually they adapt and form a consortium. Microbial groups are similar globally. One reason EM1 culture can be created in the Americas or Asia
2/ not likely in container/raised bed growing
3/ of course. There are always alternatives

I'm using SPM not just for microbes. That is just a bonus to high CEC, moisture holding, some sequestered nutrients, favorite worm feed.