What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

root riots issues

Hello,
i'm using root riots to start seeds. I use them with 3" netpots filled with hydroton, and put them in a bucket where there are rotating sprinklers.
Before, i ve had a 60 to 75 % germination rate, never 100 %, though the seeds are fresh. Always had one or two seeds germed but not sprouted.

But lastly, on 4 seeds (expensive) no one has sprouted, they all germed, but stuck with a 5 mm tail and dead.

I think that my sprinklers water the cubes too much and the seeds are drawned, or i put the seeds too deep i don't know.

I would like to put the seed directly in the cube, without passing by the paper towel method before, because i don't want to manipulate a cracked seed. The least, the better.

if i stop the water pump, the cubes dry quite quick.

Who's got an advice ? Please ?

Thanks

Dog Star

Veteran
Maybe to use just root riots cubes on their own under humid dome whithouth adding
any hydroton,its good if humid dome have heating mat under for a temps for sprouting
will be ideal..

then later after seeds sprout and they grow a few inches in this setup then try to
set them in those mesh pots with hydroton..

directly you maybe oversaturate them in water and they drown from too much
of humidity as root riots absorb it from sprinklers.. also maybe its too cold in this
way for seeds stucked inside root riot cubes..

if you use hydroton than woolrock cubes seams more appropriate choice and they
breath different from root riot.. but then is also better to start seeds just in cubes
and later when you have a sprout mount him in this hydro setup..

Root riot is more for organic soil grow..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
^^what he said :)" I use peat pellets watered with a mild solution of peroxide (3%) @10/300ml. They remain under dome and spritzed with that solution (the peat) until roots come out the bottom. This tells me the pellet has been colonized. Then they go in a 4" pot until they get transplanted in my 3gal pots at the end of week 4 of veg). Veg period doesn't start for me until their 1st set of serrated leaves. Before that, they are seedlings. One must water carefully when going right to the final pot.

Before i used rockwool cubes but i had to set them at the good PH, and i got good germinating rate, often 100%, maybe sometimes a runt ...

Thank you for the advices, i just ordered a dome with heater and try this way.

M

MagusMan

hi john i am a new grower i use root riot straight out the bag.i germ seeds in paper towel or glass of water i have done both. i just place a saucer on top of my cable box.soon as tap root comes out straight into root riot but i slice the hole with scissors so its easy too get tap root in then back on top of cable box.lost 1 seed out of 20 seeds.best of luck... the heated propagator will work excellent

RockinRobot

Just my opinion but, automated watering does NOT work well with seedlings. Seedlings need a little more TLC, until they have a good root system established. Root Riot tend to hold more water than say perlite or rockwool so will need less watering on average.

I always water seedlings by hand so I can tell when they actually need it.

hi john i am a new grower i use root riot straight out the bag.i germ seeds in paper towel or glass of water i have done both. i just place a saucer on top of my cable box.soon as tap root comes out straight into root riot but i slice the hole with scissors so its easy too get tap root in then back on top of cable box.lost 1 seed out of 20 seeds.best of luck... the heated propagator will work excellent

Your cubes don't dry on the cable box ?

M

MagusMan

no the dont john just keep your eye on them and use a 5ml syringe too give them a little soak or give em a light spray and there Sound.i just popped two seeds in straight coco
then saucer on top of cable box they where above coco day 3

Ready4

Veteran
Using a damp paper towel works great to start seeds - you place the folded over wet paper towel into a ziplock bag so it does not dry out at all. Root riots fine for clones.

Badfishy1

As stated previously, in my humble opinion your issue is over watering. Dog’s post combined w using h202 is exactly what I do and have only been unsuccessful in beans that others have struggled to germ.

Now, after tuning i've got 26-27 °C in the dome. I put a glass of water to bring moist, and there is a little mist on the dome.

After 4 days, only 2 babys have sprout. The other 2 stayed with a 5mm with tail in the cube. So for me, the root riots are very bad for seeds.

I had a lot of success in the past with my sprinklers when i was using RW cubes, and i started to wonder when i began to use root riots ( that i still like for cuttings ). I still have RW cubes.
So for germinating seeds, i'll try back the paper towel methods.

I hope my 2 little plants will survive...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
After 4 days, only 2 babys have sprout. The other 2 stayed with a 5mm with tail in the cube. So for me, the root riots are very bad for seeds.

I had a lot of success in the past with my sprinklers when i was using RW cubes, and i started to wonder when i began to use root riots ( that i still like for cuttings ). I still have RW cubes.
So for germinating seeds, i'll try back the paper towel methods.

I hope my 2 little plants will survive...
Simply put! Why fuck with something that works!!

hyposomniac

Root riot hole is a little tight for seeds, I jam a screw in and ream the hole a bit.
Rapid rooters have a bigger hole, good for seeds but not as good for clones.
Paper towels work well and fast, but rooters are even faster and less hassle ime.
These little cups help keep em moist on a heat source
picture.php

Betterhaff

Veteran
Root riot hole is a little tight for seeds, I jam a screw in and ream the hole a bit.
I had a problem with this, why I don’t use them for seeds. it seems the seed gets caught up trying to sprout up, I’ve cut them open to find the seed hung up.

M

MagusMan

Paper towels work well and fast, but rooters are even faster and less hassle ime.
View Image

i just get scissors and put a cut in the hole so seed can fit better

View Image

They seem to be wetter than mine though.

Latest posts

Latest posts