What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I didn’t read the whole thread but I would spray my outdoor plots with glyphosate. Preferably in the fall.

I use that in the spring around my barn and outbuildings because the weeds can get 6-7 feet high.

Mice hate an open areas. owls would pick them off. Fish in a barrel.

S

Sertaiz

this is a good kick in the pants thread for summer dreamin..... winter is a good time to make seed with the genetics that already did well...
much respect tycho

edit, i really hate glyphosate, im trying to get off of it and things like goat food are are mainstreamed..... now to figure out how to make or buy organic goat grain

I just scooped 4 huge bottles of Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit repellent. I’m gonna douse the smart pots perimeter and the bottom of the plants. Deer aren’t a problem where I am but rats are very much so I hope this stuff works. I’ve heard of people using it against rats tho.

Also just got my 10 gallon fabric pots with handles that I’m gonna veg in using a greenhouse instead of 1000w lights this year. Pretty cheap got them for like $1.80 a piece cheapest I’ve ever seen and good quality.

Thanks again CrushnYuba for the link 247garden.com!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks Sertaiz, But goats would attract a lot of attention here. lol

We have lots of owls and hawks here so I'll just keep the weeds down with a string trimmer. That along with my cages should do the trick.

Smokinfat... I was thinking of using fabric/smart pots. I wonder if there are pots that come perforated half way down. It would be nice to just rip off the bottom half and incert the plant in the ground. Peeling them off I think would be stressful.

S

Sertaiz

ya i was just thinking about my two goats... hehe. one is putting out half a gallon a day. dairy culls.

for gardening weedwacker is easy to custom design the grass. they are making better electric models for small areas..

The site I ordered from has 7 gallon Velcro fabric pots for transplanting. The 10’s I got I’m gonna cut open with scissors. I’m curious to see if my clones are going to fill up the 10 gallons. Getting clones around mid April. This will be my first time starting from a freshly rooted under the sun in a greenhouse. My first year outdoors I begged under fluorescent lighting from March 1st an they were talk n lanky. Last year I put clones under gavita knockoff 1000w and they got way bigger but also grew tall instead of stout and yes I did too them multiple times. I’m hoping this year for straight bushes.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I was thinking it might be rabbits. Plastic bottles would be perfect if I only did a bit. But if I put in 500 plants, that's a huge mountain of plastic bottles to carry to the grow.

Pvc pipe. Cut it on site.

Mice can't climb it and shit won't eat your stems.

Only problem is if your stems get bigger than the size of your pipe, you need to cut it off. But if that's the case you have a good problem anyway.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I thought about cardboard shipping tubes. You can get all sizes on Ebay. I was looking at the 12x3 inch. It would actually be a good way to carry lots of plants without damaging them and just plant the tubes with the plants in them. Cost is the barrier when doing lots.

'I thought about cardboard shipping tubes. You can get all sizes on Ebay. I was looking at the 12x3 inch. It would actually be a good way to carry lots of plants without damaging them and just plant the tubes with the plants in them. Cost is the barrier when doing lots.'

Spot on fella. I use pvc tubes for larger 2 foot tall ladies that i grow out in milk cartons. Nice deep roots going a foot down when its time to plant gives me the edge when things are dry. Fits nicely in my biggest pack too. Nothing worse than squishing your starts right before they see the great outdoors.