What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites at early stage with mid flowering plants

popta

Lots of tips for getting them off moms already, but here's one for fixing the room before new clones go back: cook it. You don't need chemical or nuclear weapons, they can't survive good old fashion heat. Neither can your plants of course, but once the room is empty seal off the ventilation and heat it to august in death valley levels (120F or better) and all stages of the little buggers will die. It's supposed to kill them even faster if your co2 levels are up when you do the heat treatment.

Max Q

I completely understand your frustration.

Anyone looking to increase their spraying coverage, I recommend getting a mondi sprayer, or a backpack model if you have more/larger plants. Cover the root zone and thoroughly drench. No wiping, but it is a lot of spraying. With the root zone covered you can spray all you want. Undersides, stalks, down into new growth clusters, pump them up and spray a solid and continuous mist. :)

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered a 2L Pressure sprayer (Solo) it's got a telescoping wand attached.... I can definitely see how one can achieve far better coverage. I had been using a trigger type sprayer.

I look forward to reading your thread on STS/Fem Seed making.... I plan on trying that out after I've eliminated the borg. I've tried the Colloidal Siver method which was pretty tedious, it worked I got male flowers and some pollen (which tuned out sterile).... STS looks like the way to go. Thanks for posting the info.:)

prune

Veteran
I don’t see any harm in using no pest strips as a clean up when room is empty. I wouldn’t put them in a room with plants myself. For all you know they might kill the microbes in the soil too

this is so 90's...

Since you haven't been keeping up, and haven't done the research despite the warnings, the strips are really bad poison AND they penetrate everything they are exposed to and "time release" for years afterward.
Enough to show up in residual tests on continued plantings, so imagine the growers lungs...

Spaventa

Veteran
"Maize" = corn right? Pure corn starch can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store. Might save you some money/time vs cooking special corn based pasta to get the starch.

View Image

Yes indeed popta. I will ask my wife to have a look for it when she goes shopping but I’ve not heard of it here in the UK. Thanks.

Edit - Just been informed we have some in the cupboard. Apparently it’s used for making gravy around here. Who knew right?

chronic82

this is so 90's...

Since you haven't been keeping up, and haven't done the research despite the warnings, the strips are really bad poison AND they penetrate everything they are exposed to and "time release" for years afterward.
Enough to show up in residual tests on continued plantings, so imagine the growers lungs...

How long of clean ups are you used to? I’m sure 2-3 days of a no pest strip in an empty room that’s about to be bleached from floor to ceiling isn’t going to have any residual effects

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
How long of clean ups are you used to? I’m sure 2-3 days of a no pest strip in an empty room that’s about to be bleached from floor to ceiling isn’t going to have any residual effects
Give it up.

ANY exposure is not good, especially if you're using cannabis plants. Phytoremediation actions in the cannabis plant are not just root based. ;)

Do everyone a favor please. Please Stop using the no-pest strips, or stop bringing it up online as an option. Nobody cares what you do with cannabis you are not sharing with others.

mack 10

Veteran
Yes indeed popta. I will ask my wife to have a look for it when she goes shopping but I’ve not heard of it here in the UK. Thanks.

Edit - Just been informed we have some in the cupboard. Apparently it’s used for making gravy around here. Who knew right?

not in uk mate, you can get it off ebay if ya need it.
just dont put them in your living space.

Max Q

No Pest Strip Update...

No Pest Strip Update...

I've been screwing around for a month and half trying to eradicate the 2-spotted mites I've got. Using Azamax, Trifecta, other "organic" pesticides and do it yourself mixes.

Sure it knocks em down, but they keep coming back. I tried to be thorough and follow directions, still not satisfied with merely suppressing the little bastards.... and I had the predator mites too, don't know where they came from, but they were there.... but obviously not keeping up with the 2 spots.

I just put two No Pest Strips in the unused bedroom closet where I have a small grow going. Shut off the exhaust fan. It's been 48 hours and I pulled a few leaves to inspect under Macro lens camera phone.... only spotted a couple of dead mites.

I will leave them in the closet for two weeks and inspect again. As many others have reported I expect they will be dead, dead, dead.

The nerve agent in NPS has a very short half life, breaks down to harmless with exposure to water/humidity. They feed it to cattle to kill parasites, mammals quickly metabolize and excrete the stuff harmlessly, does not accumulate in plants.....

I have taken the precaution of updating my will, but if I'm still standing up and taking nourishment in a couple of weeks I'll report back on my success or lack thereof, with the f'ing mites.

Update:
I had 100% success with the No Pest Strips. After 7 days in the closet 100% of mites, nymphs, and eggs are dead. This stuff worked GREAT and there was no fuss or muss.

I would not hesitate to use them again. NPS are a highly effective fumigant, they completely eradicated the Spotted Mite infestation I had.

If you are able to follow the label directions for their use, (I was, more or less).... then I would highly recommend them.

Dichlorvos has not been shown to accumulate in either plants or animals. It has a very short half-life (between hours and 2 days depending on the study)... it is readily and rapidly metabolized in mammals, it has not been detected in animal (including humans) urine, blood, tissue, milk, etc.

There is a lot of info summarized, and many references to source studies, in the EPA document outlining their decision to re-register it as an approved pesticide:

https://archive.epa.gov/pesticides/reregistration/web/pdf/ddvp_red.pdf

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Dichlorvos has not been shown to accumulate in either plants or animals.
Ok, you're missing the point completely.

Where is your link to the study regarding cannabis and dichlorvos? This is the one which will show you how strongly cannabis protects it from breaking down, and why you don't want to use it.

Oh... wait... it doesn't exist yet. So, the best course of action is to treat it like all the others which have been tested with cannabis. Avoid it until it's tested and proven safe with cannabis.

Why? Because time, and time again, cannabis has shown to be very unlike many plants and the "safe" studies end up not being applicable to cannabis. It holds things and preserves them from breaking down very well.