What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lipid not settling to the bottom during winterization?

Dirt Bag

What type of container are you using?

I actually try to avoid having the lipids and sugars crystalize on the container so that I don't have to clean it out every time. It also makes the process more efficient since I can pull the good stuff through the filtrate more effectively. We use HDPE jugs which tends to keep the filtrate floating rather than crystallized on the bottom of the container. When we have used glass beakers in the past, the sugars and lipids crystallize on the bottom.

It sounds like your real problem is not enough surface area on your filter. You should look at using a larger diameter filter, the surface area goes up like the square of the diameter so it makes a huge difference. Our 24" buchner has 450 sq in of surface area!

This one? Nice, if you have the money for it.