What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

I have not seen much of the Rosin in person, but has anyone such as Roji who has done this tech in there free time run any quantitative tests to find out a real percentage of adulterants in Rosin? Obviously this is a technique and depending on your skill I have seen product ranging from that massive, pretty slab a few posts back to somewhat less impressive... Has anyone winterized some of this stuff just for curiosities sake to see if any fats/lipids get picked up in the process? I realize that no solvent means that most people are all in, but from a medical perspective I have met folks who smoke decarbed, winterized oil for the ease on there lungs and I wonder where this process falls on that spectrum. After all, even terpines are added expectorants into the mix and are not ALWAYS a good thing depending on your consumer.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
from what i have experienced so far its always been very smooth. I think its probably as smooth as a winterized bho, but with more flavor/ terpenes by far.

Roji

So the past week I've made a few observations. The less press time the buds get the more of a shatter you are going to get. It also seems to retain more terps. For me and my press Im seeing 350f for 5 seconds as the sweet spot for shatter. Soilgrown uses 325f for 2 seconds. The differences may be strain or batch specific. Now saying that, I have also done some 30 second presses @ 350f that spewed huge oil blobs that were a little darker and had a little less odor but were still very strong full melt dabs. This routine would be good for patients just trying to harvest oil for medicine as opposed to rec dabs. There have been tests done on 30 second presses that showed relatively low decarb, but having lower terps.
I can see production pressing as having grades of heat/time exposure. 3 second, 5 second, 15 and 30, potentially.

Below are pictures of a 1 gram pellet I made and pressed. It shows the first 5 second press, the subsequent 10 second press and a final 15 second press. The pellet being exposed to a total of 30 seconds of pressure. Total yield was approx 15%. You will notice I have placed a tri-clamp end cap on my base. This is for maximizing the pressure applied to the bud pellet. I'm pretty much breaking the parchment now due to the extreme pressure.

44AGN5t.jpg

i0XyL39.jpg

yw4yqwT.jpg

first 5 second press

cnqd2db.jpg

3kLIqIZ.jpg

Sunfire

Veteran
I'm curious how that guy with the big golden slab got all the spent material off of it? Is it as easy as freeze and scrape? Roji how are you collecting it together? Freeze, ruffle parchment into a pile and heat, press/roll into those little patties?

I'm all for it if we can make a patty like in that pic in one press! But yeah it'd be nice to regain my investment on the cls but for people like me that might take years lmfao!

I'll definetly sit and watch the R&D developed and maybe I'll have a good idea or two to contribute. Good job roji, if this blows up we all might remember your name when we're old and long forgotten.

Roji

Admittedly I could have spent more time cleaning it up more before collecting. Buuuuut here's the new cool. Pressing the oil through a 25mu bubble bag screen wrapped in parchment/ptfe...

Sunfire

Veteran
Oh good! I hate the 25 micron bag. It's fucken pointless, only gathers trichrome stalks and impedes your drainage immensely. Well sweet I got a few of those from 20 gallon bags, they about 18 inches wide I imagine.

Ok so just figure me how to 18 inch wide presses with the best efficiency, then figure out how this will work great with trim instead of flower, and I'll come bring you some grant money and a big American hug! I got a friend in calgary, sounds like a fun road trip?!?!? Hit eugene, then portland, then seattle, then vancouver, and round off the extraction tour at my friends brewery in calgary!!!

Roji

Oh good! I hate the 25 micron bag. It's fucken pointless, only gathers trichrome stalks and impedes your drainage immensely. Well sweet I got a few of those from 20 gallon bags, they about 18 inches wide I imagine.

Ok so just figure me how to 18 inch wide presses with the best efficiency, then figure out how this will work great with trim instead of flower, and I'll come bring you some grant money and a big American hug! I got a friend in calgary, sounds like a fun road trip?!?!? Hit eugene, then portland, then seattle, then vancouver, and round off the extraction tour at my friends brewery in calgary!!!

Hell ya, c'mon up .
The pressed weed coin deal in pic one and 2 will be an avenue to using viable trim, I'm sure of it. I'm also sure there is fancy heat presses with all the bells and whistles to make this tech more efficient. Something like THIS

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i still think the cylindrical plunger is the best bet. then you prevent the puck of weed from spreading, and all the oil can leach out easily. also could put a fair bit into a strong tube setup to press at once i bet.

soopy

Veteran
So isn't this, effectively, cold-press cannabis oil? Cold in the sense that the oil isn't degraded by the process....

This looks awesome!

Respect.

Humpi

Hi roji.

So did you put that nug in the hole and compress by hand to make a weed puck? Then took the puck to your press? Waiting for Monday to come along so I can pick up that t-shirt press

The slab pictured is soilgrown, and the way he does it is by collecting a small amount on a tool and then rolling it over the paper to collect the rest. It creates a wheel of oil on the end of his tool and he then presses it out into those larger patties. Via his own words on one of his posts. Albeit I think it takes alot of time and effort to acquire that much rosin.

And to repose the same question while I am sure it is smooth, most people's accounts are positive, that doesn't answer the question about how much of this oil being produced is active ingredient and how much is the waxes that make up the trichome structure. We must assume that it adds some measurable amount to the yield just as we do with any "physical" extraction. I am not asking as a knock on the tech or the product, we don't knock dry sifts for the trichome weight, but I think it is a question worth answering.

Attachments

• Rosin.jpg
    Rosin.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 30

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
And to repose the same question while I am sure it is smooth, most people's accounts are positive, that doesn't answer the question about how much of this oil being produced is active ingredient and how much is the waxes that make up the trichome structure. We must assume that it adds some measurable amount to the yield just as we do with any "physical" extraction. I am not asking as a knock on the tech or the product, we don't knock dry sifts for the trichome weight, but I think it is a question worth answering.

yes measurements are good and needed, but it is stronger, and yields less than bho, so that data can influence your opinion on the ratios ahead of testing. it would seem terpenes leach out well in the heat press as well as thc. i am not sure what it extracts so much less of. i did a butane extraction of 20 grams of heat pressed pucks and i didnt measure it, but can estimate it at less than gram but more than .5. it was quite dark, much darker than the heat press extract maybe as a result of the heat pressing, and definitely weaker.

Wow that is impressive. Just to make sure I am looking at this correctly that leaves just under eight percent by weight that is not THC, CBD, or terpenes correct? Thanks for posting that Roji that certainly is enlightening. Begs the question how effective this tech would be on a CBD rich plant, and how much those numbers can fluctuate on from plant to plant.

yes measurements are good and needed, but it is stronger, and yields less than bho, so that data can influence your opinion on the ratios ahead of testing. it would seem terpenes leach out well in the heat press as well as thc. i am not sure what it extracts so much less of. i did a butane extraction of 20 grams of heat pressed pucks and i didnt measure it, but can estimate it at less than gram but more than .5. it was quite dark, much darker than the heat press extract maybe as a result of the heat pressing, and definitely weaker.

I definitely think based on the data just posted terpenes seem to be extracted very effectively. I would say your lack of oil produced off pressed pucks is a good sign the press is an efficient extraction. Whether the darkness is from cellular damage, heat, or some other mechanism if thats all that is left it seems there can be no argument against the merit of the tek. I was going to ask if anyone has run an extraction on the pressed material but you beat me to it. Thanks for sharing.

JointOperation

how much rosin are you getting from that 20 grams.. and how much bho u get from the second extraction..

also.. on 20 grams of the same material whats your bho yield?

just trying to figure out what these yields are at .. 10%-15%?

Sunfire

Veteran
Roji - I'm a shirt press noob. What the deal with the bit in the middle of the one you just linked?

Hashmasta - idk above the tube idea. You would need to get heat all the way through it, and then I feel like oil would gather on the sides of the tube? Maybe not a bad thing? line a 4x36 spool with 25 micron bag material, fill with your flowers, and heat the whole tube and press the shit out of it? Still I think the shirt press sounds faster and easier. My point is there's going to be a breaking point as to how thick you can do your presses for the material in the middle won't get enough heat.

Holy cow on the test results roji! All those terps and it's still shatter like? I've heard once you approach 10% terpenes with bho you will never have a stable product? This is getting fun! Keep working. I wasn't joking about grant money. Once you get this dialed down I'll come buy the first custom machine you make and drop you some extra for R&D. I want to to see yield and production of this technique rival cls!

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
@Joint- I did a 10 gram run yesterday, and got 1.54 grams of Rosin at a low temp, 8-10sec press. Thats over 15%.

I feel like the yields, and quality will go up, and the labor will go down once a machine is designed or discovered for this, and once methods are refined. Screens will be needed to keep hairs and other particulates out of the extract. With precision heat and pressure settings should ensure youre getting everything out. You could go one step further and winterize it if you wanted to. It would not surprise me if 20%+ yields are achieved in the near future.
Theres still a lot of refining to do with this method, but we are on the right track. Moisture content seems to be a biggie, because water seems to be a vessel for the resin to flow out. Im not sure if this is the proper term, but maybe steam distillation kind of going on?
Im starting to like the low temps and longer presses a lot versus say pressing for 2-5 seconds at 300-325f. Much better taste and color. If your getting reddish amber, or caramel color, your doing it wrong. Look for the golden color. It shouldnt have a heavy "vapey" smell or taste.