What's new

Sad News on RC...PLEASE READ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I do think that this is a great opportunity for the cannabis community on the internet to unite. I don't mean a million man march or anything, but just the fact that by centralizing the majority of the online cannabis community, I think it'd be more effective. There's a certain anonymity online that people don't have in the real world. This is the anonymity necessary for people to feel able to join the fight. There are already enough people that believe in the cause to make a difference, but the problem is that most of them are too stoned to mail something in, write a letter, whatever. The internet makes it simpler, easier, (questionably)safer. Sorry about the rambling, but I thought of that and then forgot what I was thinking. So when I remembered again, I had to get it all out.

hash*_*bean

damn thats bad news,all my best wishes go out to u RC,
this is not the first cannabis page that have been taken down ,and the others have risen again
dont u guys think it is possible overgrow will be running again in some months,
im sure hopping so ,we should not give up this easy .

jungo

all that info got lost ?
it is like destroying a really importent museum.
so sad ...

but we are like cannabis dont we ? we will continue to grow in another places and grow bigger !

kov

Polskaaa, bialo-czerwonaaa
jungo said:
all that info got lost ?
it is like destroying a really importent museum.
so sad ...

..or like burning books, some may have heard about burning books by a certain totalitarian system back in the early 20-th century...

this comparison makes me unsettled.. hope it won't be that bad.

Prayers to RC and his family..

rgds, kov

G

this is just awful... what a sad day. best wishes for RC & his family. i thought the servers were supposed to be in a safe remote location... but apparently not safe enough :(

dan kay said:
well i just did a little research and the servers still appear to be up and the domain resolves to the same IP that it has since November 2003. This means that most likely the US Govt wasn't involved in any way because had they been we'd probably have seen the DOJ logo that the US Govt puts up when they sieze a domain which probably would've happened if it was any kind of joint action or had been leverage by the US Govt. If any of you ever visited the old site www.isonews.com about software piracy about 2-3 years ago you've seen the page.

Ping 65.39.170.187

[overgrow.com]

Round trip time to 65.39.170.187: 50 ms
Round trip time to 65.39.170.187: 49 ms
Round trip time to 65.39.170.187: 49 ms

Edit: if you are going to ping this server i'd recommend using a web based ping tool instead of your home computer. this also doesn't mean the site is serving pages again just that a server is connected on the IP overgrow was on.

i don't know anything about pinging, and i don't know about you guys, but it seems like this warning could be a bit too late as i've been trying to access that site all frakkin week! so maybe it didn't matter so much that the sites didn't log IP#s, because now this mysterious server that sitting in its' place may have been doing so while we've been checking to see if the site was back up yet?

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rezdog said:
FACT:
OVERGROW AND CW DID NOT KEEP LOGGED IPs.
IF YOU WERE LOGGED IN AT THE TIME OF THE RAID,YOU MAY HAVE A RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED.
OTHER THAN THAT,OVERGROW AND CANNABISWORLD ARE CANNABIS FANTASY SITES,WHERE PEOPLE GO AND PRETEND THEY GROW CANNABIS,NOTHING MORE.

ALL OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH RC AND HIS FAMILY.

Please read the above. peace

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
I'm at a loss for words. I've been an OGer since 2000 and I had almost 4000 post....

U

Uncle Hughie

Jasus.....Poor Richard....!....Fuk the system!

all those Pics....all those years...Bastards..

Peace!

G

Security

Security

What an absolute nightmare for all involved.Our thoughts and good wishes go out to them.
SO............. just how safe are we in europe from the repercussions of this?

The answer is No One Knows! I'm afraid this is gonna be a reality check for many of our ex members. Keep a low profile, people. Don't panick but don't take chances. This could be just the beginning of a large scale operation. People in Canada and in the USA should be afraid, but nothing's telling us what tomorrow will be like. I believe the staff at icmag will let you know when more information is available.

Right now, the news aren't good at all.

Ferre

TheGreenBastard said:
I was told by a Mod at OG they don't log ip's. Even if they do I only got pics up there. The Po's can't raid your crib for that.

Peace

That mod doesn't know sh1t about how forum software works and gave you false information.

Forum software DOES log your ip, it's the only way to keep you logged in, when you log in the server places a cookie on your pc that contains two things, your login data AND your IP.

Without this no one would stay logged in. Overgrow was using vB as forum software, just as this forum does too, and I tell you that when you attempt to get rid of the 'session id' and the ip the forum would become useless.

There is no technical solution to get rid of ip addresses, did you know that every single post you make contains your ip address? Trust me, this forum too saves ip addresses.

Don't be naive.

G

Thanks for the heads up Gypsy, and thanks for the reassurances you folks who have posted the server/IP info.

I wish RC and his family the very best, hope that this will pass quickly. The database is not lost, however, as long as those of us who read it remember and pass that info on to others, discretely.

This serves as a reminder to us all to stay careful and stealthy.

One more point: OG was more than just a database and a community, it was the individuals who made up that community. Our skills and dedication made Overgrow what it was. We are a very diverse group of active, intelligent people from all nations and cultures, and we are temporarily adrift in cyberspace. Many of us will no doubt find a new home here, some have been here for a while already. Others will land on other pro-cannabis sites. Hopefully, together we will eventually prevail over the prohibitionists, despite setbacks on the way.

peace

Ferre

Chuck Liddell said:
can't you understand the mother language English??? They said they made "mods" to the forum software so that it doesnt log ip's...I'm glad I never orders beans from Canada...damn I ordering them from Spain now not even the UK because there probably goint there next considering the UK is the baby sister of America. This is all crazy....why did the first word that came out was just a server upgrade and now there busted?? This shit smells!

Well, I'm a server admin and mod forums myself, one of them being my own and when you think that's possible you know more about modding forum code than me. lol

ps, and my mother language is Dutch, I'm an Amsterdammer.

pps. And there's the server statistics, that logges every single ip that visits. NO WAY to get around that.

Last edited:
G

Ferre,
excuse me for being a little abrasive but the server may log the ip but it DOESNT save them....your missing the point!

Ferre

Chuck Liddell said:
Ferre,
excuse me for being a little abrasive but the server may log the ip but it DOESNT save them....your missing the point!

ANY SERVER SAVES THEM!

Please, don't try tell a baker how to make bread. I'm giving you facts.

Ever seen a server control panel dude? Ever coded a forum? Ever worked on server logs?

I don't think so, otherwise you wouldn't keep on like this.

tragic1

You guys just chill out. This is a tight knit community and bickering over nonsense isn't on the agenda here.

Please respect the way we do things around here.

Everyone is welcome at IC. But everyone isn't welcome to trash our "Home"

guineapig

Veteran
i might have said his before but a Church isn't an actual building....

a Church is a congregation of souls who are dedicated to the freedom of medicinal
herbs against the terrorism of the Global Cannabis Inquisition.....so we must practice
our religion in secret and communicate anonymously at great peril to our freedom....

but even if they burn down our Church (OG and CW) the community will always find a
way to re-organize....i guess all this might sound hokey and idealistic but i believe it
nonetheless and people like RC and GN put it all on the line because the weed that
pokes out the most is the first to get lopped off by the shears....for that reason i
always think purchasing Cannabis seeds is like the equivalent of donating money to a
local church or community organization which shares common values and provides an
outlet for the expression of spiritual freedom.....

now i know that might sound crazy to some of y'all who think this is all about one man
trying to make a buck but that is precisely the argument that LEOs like the DEA make
when they crack down on these websites.....just another "drug dealer" trying to make
a buck so this somehow gives them the right to imprison a man and his family and
seize his assets and ruin his good standing in the community forever and revoke his
right to vote (which happens when you are convicted of a felony).....

:yeahthats :hijacked: :off2: :smoweed: :rant:

-gp :wave:

full time daddy
Veteran
Mandragora said:
The site was not keeping IPs in a log file when RC had the controls. Who knows what the cops did to that...

i agree..... they could be logging ips that try to "ping" or log in...careful guys

Xpat

reality check..

reality check..

Unless you have some kind of mass commercial setup going I'd relax. People give LEO far too much credit.

While it's always good to be a little cautious the odds are that LEO is looking for established networks to crack and for people using these sites for large commercial gain.

They can of course pass on information to other national authorities!!!

This is something people should really think about!.....

If you don't fall under that banner then you have really very little to worry about .

I also think it's funny how national borders seem to give people such a false sense of security. If you think that because you are sitting in a country, as I am, where it's legal to trade Seeds/weed even/ and that national laws are going to protect you, think again.

esp: when it comes to international trade. Sell things to the States!

European Parliament recommendation to the Council on the EU-USA agreements on judicial cooperation in criminal matters and extradition.

http://www.derechos.org/nizkor/excep/usaueng.html

The Actual paper..

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2004:068E:0140:0143:EN:PDF

It amazes me that people think they are protected by law... It's such a false sense of security!

Best wishes to those who may face trouble... our solidarity!!

Xpat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.