What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SPRINGTAILS!!!

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
If you live in an area very prone to soil pests be very careful using Coco.

That constant wetness, plus how easy larvae can travel from top to middle root area (loose, soft media) makes for a disaster unless you are seriously proactive.

Soil can be dried and that makes a big difference killing bugs on the first 1 or 2 top inches of soil.

Larvae catches hell "drilling" against hardened upper soil.

Just a thought...

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Ojorojo i hear you on being proactive on the bug prevention. What do you suggest? I tried to start a thread on this topic but nobody wanted to discuss.
Thanks.

northernlightss

SPRINGTAILS ARE NOT HARMFUL IN ANYWAY

They are one of natures decomposers, and I and many other poison dart froggers add them to terrariums (rainforest in an aquarium), they dont even bother some of my more delicate orchids. They help clean up dead and rotting leaves.

If you think springtails are causing problems you have an unknown prob, do research, springtails are everywhere in nature, and are BENEFICIAL. Other insects can be mistaken for springtails.

Springtails are cryptozoa frequently found in leaf litter and other decaying material,[7] where they are primarily detritivores and microbivores, and one of the main biological agents responsible for the control and the dissemination of soil microorganisms.

If you are experiencing a population explosion and it bothers you try and control the food you are providing them. I water my coco 4 times a day, and my population is minimal, because I never let leaves fall on the coco, I am anal about keeping my plant space clean of dead/cut leaves. There population will decline once the food is gone, even if you let them clean up whats already there and just make sure no new leaves fall into the medium. Springtails don't eat live tissue, they leave roots and leaves alone unless they are rotting.

greenatik

SPRINGTAILS ARE NOT HARMFUL IN ANYWAY

They are one of natures decomposers, and I and many other poison dart froggers add them to terrariums (rainforest in an aquarium), they dont even bother some of my more delicate orchids. They help clean up dead and rotting leaves.

If you think springtails are causing problems you have an unknown prob, do research, springtails are everywhere in nature, and are BENEFICIAL. Other insects can be mistaken for springtails.

Springtails are cryptozoa frequently found in leaf litter and other decaying material,[7] where they are primarily detritivores and microbivores, and one of the main biological agents responsible for the control and the dissemination of soil microorganisms.

If you are experiencing a population explosion and it bothers you try and control the food you are providing them. I water my coco 4 times a day, and my population is minimal, because I never let leaves fall on the coco, I am anal about keeping my plant space clean of dead/cut leaves. There population will decline once the food is gone, even if you let them clean up whats already there and just make sure no new leaves fall into the medium. Springtails don't eat live tissue, they leave roots and leaves alone unless they are rotting.

correct! :santa1:

GrnEyes

If you don't want to let your coco dry all the way out during flower, how do you get rid of the springtails? If they are harmless thats cool but I read they eat the beneficial bacteria that am adding...true or false?

Dog Star

Veteran
When i sees Springtail then i know a Spring time is not far away from us... :) LOL

I hurd they bully beneficial bacteries to pay them big money and a bad bacteries
are lived to live in peace... springtails are bastards of a animal World,bad boys..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Vine weevil treatment has vanished off our shelves now. It seems things vanish quicker than I can keep up.

They don't just eat dead stuff. They also eat wet roots. You can get them in flood/drain clay pebble systems and rockwool. I just found them in a plant I was taking great notice of, as it was lagging behind. A couple of days dry (surviving on foliar misting) seemed to work. For about a day.

35% hydrogen peroxide sounds like it would kill a plant. I'm not trying that.
SM-90 is a wetting agent. I use similar for mite control, when they come around. How is this being used as a root drench? Mixing percentages and adjustments to the feed given would be very useful.

Xanode

Anyone else seen them on lower leaves? I thought I had a bad bug, but under the scope they were clearly springtails.

Latest posts

Latest posts