Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hemp > Grow opportunity - need advice

Thread Title Search
Grow opportunity - need advice Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2019, 06:33 AM #1
midwestkid

midwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nice
Grow opportunity - need advice

So I got an opportunity to manage a big hemp grow and now I'm scared shitless...
Currently I work in the engineering field and have always grown on the side as a hobby. Now I have a chance to grow on a large scale and I'm in negotiation with the financial backer and it all seems overwhelming.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Here's a list of fears and concerns in no particular order.
How much money do I ask for? Do I need a lawyer? How many people will I need for help? What is the best strain? What if the crop goes "hot"
Will he fire me once I get this farm up and running?
And 1000 other thoughts like that.
Let me know if you guys/girls have ever been through this and what to look out for. Thanks in advance!
midwestkid is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 PM #2
highsteppa

highsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of light
How many acres are you looking at? I may be able to help as myself along with some family have been working 57 acre hemp farm. Not huge but still industrial scale.
highsteppa is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:24 PM #3
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Know that fears are normal.

When I'm asked to do something, I research it to hell and back. Even if you only get halfway, you can be confident you'll know more than most. So head up, speak with authority and if you don't know the answer to a question, don't lie, own it and say "I don't know. I'll get back to you on this."

You're in the engineering field? Good. You probable know MS Excel. Start a spreadsheet with the goal of having a 5 year projection.

Call a seed company and ask for a quote for X acres. Talk to a farmer about costs. They're super knowledgeable about planting, fertilizing and harvesting costs, SALES AND CONTRACTS. Contact other hemp farmers, I'm sure there's an association or something. lots of work up front and dont make a bank appointment for next week. You need at least two months lead time to get to know the numbers intimately for the bank.

They'll want a business plan. DO IT. I don't care if you don't know how to write one. Just start it and it'll come together. Trust me. Google is your friend.

There's more but you'll discover it as you move along.

Good luck.

As for getting let go, he probably will. But you'll have to work that into your price. Get a contract. ALWAYS. Even if he does let you go, you'll have valuable info for other farmers as a Hemp consultant in an emerging market. Sound like a sweet position to be in. Try to work a small retainer into your contract.

Boreal Lights Semi Auto

---

"There could be shadow galaxies, shadow stars and even shadow people."
-- Steven Hawking

Isaac Asimov
"Gods serve us because we know so little about the world."
-
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 PM #4
midwestkid

midwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nicemidwestkid is just really nice
Highsteppa how many people does it take to run a 57 acre grow? What strain(s) are you growing?

I haven't been to this facility yet but it use to be a turkey farm. Not really sure on the size/scale just yet

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:51 PM #5
midwestkid

Tychomonolith thanks for the thorough response. I appreciate your feedback. You make a lot of valid points. And yes ultimately I believe it's a good position to be in. I can always fall back on engineering and chances like these don't normally fall in your lap.

I'm doing a lot of reading and video watching right now. I just have always kept my eye on the drug cultivars and now I need to shift focus... growing pains...

What strains are people having success with? I've heard good things about Oregon CBD.
Anyways any relevant info is appreciated.
Thanks again

Old 09-18-2019, 05:54 PM #6
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
I have no idea about strains. I see them starting to farm it here. Look in my pictures for a Hemp album. I have a few shots.

Boreal Lights Semi Auto

---

-- Steven Hawking

Isaac Asimov
-

Old 09-21-2019, 01:48 PM #7
highsteppa

highsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of lighthighsteppa is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestkid View Post
Highsteppa how many people does it take to run a 57 acre grow? What strain(s) are you growing?

I haven't been to this facility yet but it use to be a turkey farm. Not really sure on the size/scale just yet
Labor wise we have 15 +\- people and they are busy from planting to weeding to harvest. 3 people upper mgmt, accountant, and luckily my cousin/partner is a lawyer.

How many acres are you looking at farming year 1? What type of water source do you
have? Get a soil test asap.

Are you going to run it all or mostly concerned with the growing end?
highsteppa is offline Quote

Old 09-21-2019, 02:30 PM #8
TychoMonolyth

As long as you're not doing it old school, all you need is maybe 3 for 57 acres, and your top heavy on the management side unless they're running tractors too.

57 acres is really a one person job.

Boreal Lights Semi Auto

---

-- Steven Hawking

Isaac Asimov
-

Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 PM #9
herbgreen

herbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant future
This where most of the farms get seed for hemp cbd flower crops

https://www.oregoncbdseeds.com/

they may be able help or figure out who the farms are and call them up but this coming up on the busy time of year

You need to talk to a few differnt folks but this is really really new

good people in this somebody will talk to you for sure

herbgreen is online now Quote

Old 09-21-2019, 05:34 PM #10
herbgreen

herbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant future
Just remember this stuff may be classifed 'hemp 'but this is about cbd terpene rich unique phenos and complex breeding

Podcast interview with one of the hempfarms

https://soundcloud.com/the-cannabis-...farms-02082019

herbgreen is online now Quote