What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hobby grow aka the torture chamber...Vertical/3x3/400w/Coco, goal = 450g/cycle...

jd4083

Veteran
Thanks man! They're looking pretty alright to me, and will be in much better shape in a day or two now that the humidity is in check. I'm actually vaguely suspicious that my buddy gave me clones of different phenos (or maybe even different strains entirely), as the heavily defoliated girl (the one with clear zip-ties) has colas with about 75% milky trichs all the way up and down the plant save for some kinda hidden larf in the back/bottom area. Thing looks like it will be nicely finished right at 8 weeks, whereas I would say that the other two (especially the big one with the red zip-ties) look like they could go at least 9.5-10 weeks and still be pushing out calyxes despite their decidedly indica-leaning structure. Maybe the super heavy-handed defoliation sped things up a bit? I guess we'll see...

and no doubt on the vert thing man, efficiency is job #1 for me in most things, and when I found out about vert on OG/ICM/THC****** back in the day I switched and never looked back...and I'm having more fun with this little bullshit 400w grow than I have had in many, many years with this plant. Brings me back to my roots...no lame pun intended. :tiphat: thanks for posting man

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
awesome torture chamber...
those plants rock up crazy...nice!!
excellent example of high quality..grower and grow!!!
if you dont mind im tuned for this one!!
kudos to you bro!!

jd4083

Veteran
Pics from day 40...will expound on these a bit later when I get a chance. Hope everyone is well...more to come soon.

day401.jpg

day402.jpg

day403.jpg

day404.jpg

day405.jpg

day406.jpg

day407.jpg

day408.jpg

jd4083

Veteran
Guess you guys used up all my bandwidth on the other photos...haha...here are the important ones rehosted, these are the "time lapse" sets. Photos are labeled with Plant # as the first number (the one before the hyphen) and the day after the flip when the photo was taken is noted after the hyphen. Ex: 1-12 is Plant #1 on day 12. 3-28 is Plant #3 on day 28, etc.

1-12.jpg

1-19.jpg

1-28.jpg

1-36.jpg

1-40.jpg

2-12.jpg

2-19.jpg

2-28.jpg

2-35.jpg

2-40.jpg

3-12.jpg

3-19.jpg

3-28.jpg

3-35.jpg

3-40.jpg

jd4083

Veteran
snapped some quick lights off pics at the very end of day 42...couldn't resist, hit a few branches with some pollen that may or may not have been viable from a real greasy, stout highland Mexi male. Also had a timer break on me so may end up with a few beans either way, although I haven't seen any nanners. haven't really looked hard though... I've truthfully neglected these quite a bit, been very busy the last few days, so I'm happy that they're doing as well as they are. Still wondering if my buddy didn't switch up clones on me, as a couple of these look like I could chop 'em by the 1st while the tall one still looks to have some time left judging by how it's filling out. Trichs are mostly milky on just about all of the main colas so this strain may finish as quickly as my friend claims, I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks...anyways, enough yapping, on with the pics.

42-1.jpg

42-2.jpg

day42-3.jpg

day42-4.jpg

day42-5.jpg

Accidentally snapped a pretty hefty lower branch the other day and quick dried it and made QWISO with the trimmings...very impressive considering how early it is and how little I've taken care of these girls, that's what made me decide to hit it with the pollen and try to work something out for posterity... that and the fact that these buds are some of the densest and frostiest I've come across. Unbelievably tight nugs, very impressed overall so far.

more updates in a few days...peace

jd4083

Veteran
And, because I find this so helpful, I'm going to post the time lapses again from day 12 through day 49 (yesterday):

day127-1.jpg

day1914.jpg

day283.jpg

day358.jpg

day401.jpg

49-1.jpg

day1218-1.jpg

day1922.jpg

day282.jpg

day356.jpg

day403.jpg

49-3.jpg

3-12.jpg

3-19.jpg

3-28.jpg

3-35.jpg

3-40.jpg

49-5.jpg

jd4083

Veteran
Random assemblage of shots...will put these in order and label them when I have a chance....before I post them, I'll do a quick breakdown of what has happened since my last update:

1.) Had a pretty big scare that was entirely my own fault -- do not really want to go into detail. In the interest of total safety and security (and the ability to freely grow another day), I chopped the other two girls a hair earlier than I would have liked at 63 days.

2.) As I mentioned before, the early-cut plant (clear zipties) weighed roughly 90g completely dry (stem snapping, that is)...now that it has been totally broken down... i.e. all colas cut down into smaller flowers, large stems removed, and after the final trim....I ended up with 82 grams of fantastic herb, even despite the fact that it was taken so early. This, once again, does not count the almost 150g (wet weight taken at time of harvest) of larfy popcorn and trim that was made into bubble.

3.) If appearance and density of the last two specimens are any indication, I am going to hit my yield estimate out of the fucking ballpark. Not only that, but the quality of these flowers are OUTSTANDING. Some of the greasiest, stinkiest plants I have ever seen with my own two eyes. Very happy with this run...still very confused as to what I was growing though, as I mentioned before. Either way, sick nugs...the foxtailed one (black zip ties) reminds me of a good Sour cross...smells like body odor, garlic, onions, and menthol with a bit of lemon floor cleaner thrown in for good measure...not the frostiest one out of the three, but definitely the most stank for sure...

Anyways, more to come soon, these photos are pretty half-assed...my apologies, but you guys are lucky I took the time to snap any at all, as I've been in cover-my-ass-and-hide-the-felonies mode for the last 3 days and haven't had time for much else at all.

b1.jpg

b-3.jpg

clear1.jpg

clear2.jpg

clear3.jpg

clear4.jpg

clear-day56.jpg

red-day63.jpg

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
yo bro im really impressed for the high quality job you do in this run, those fat nuggs are fabolous...
cant wait for more awesome update...
respect to you

jd4083

Veteran
Thanks brotha...i'm pretty happy with the results given all of the hurdles...sad that I chopped roughly 4-5 days earlier than I would have liked and never ran into the security issue I thought I had, but definitely fine with playing it safe in that regard. I'm going to try to find some batteries for my camera and get some semi-dry and dry shots today. Currently on the 4th day of overall drying, 2nd day for the black zip tie plant, 4th day for the red one. Quick background on how I'm drying...this is a bit faster than I typically like to do it, but in the interest of safety I'm trying to get these in jars as quickly as possible without ruining them. Normally takes me 6-7 days if I do it "right," looking to have the entire crop from the red plant done by tomorrow afternoon and the remainder finished by Valentine's Day. Basically, this is how it goes:

Everything gets hung in one of my spare bedroom closets, the dehuey goes in the bedroom outside of the closet with the door shut. Temps are right at 64-65 degrees, a bit chilly but definitely better than too warm. Started at 55% for the first day, knocked it to 50% RH for the second day, and from the 3rd day on I keep the closet at 45% on the dot. I break down all of my main colas and top buds to golf ball-sized buds to promote even drying...everything this big or larger gets hung, everything smaller gets thrown on an extra clean window screen I have and typically is dry enough to jar about a day before the rest. From that point on, right at the point where the stems are just about to snap but not quite there and the outsides of the buds (i.e. the calyxes, not the close trim leaves) are dry to the touch, they go through the method best described by Simon in his "perfect cure" thread, although I generally just eyeball it/do it by feel and not with hygros in the jars...after a couple days of burping, rotating the jars, and (if slightly too wet after a day or so of sweating) taking the buds out of the jars for ~4 hours at a time, they have generally reached the point at which the cure is beginning and the smell/flavor is there. I should note that this works FAR better with a very well-trimmed batch than with a batch that received a light trim, the leaves seem to throw it off quite a bit when there are a lot of close trim left on.

^I know this is nothing ground-breaking, but figured I'd throw it in for anybody curious as to my method for that...\

Anyways, more to come soon.

jd4083

Veteran
Couple updates...may be slightly out of order/confusing as I copied and pasted these from the other forum I posted this on.

2/13/12:

The third plant (foxtailed one, black zip ties) is still a couple days from fully dry, but the final numbers from the other two were 85g (clear zip ties) and 118g from the big one (red zip ties). Keep in mind that a LOT of larf/popcorn (which shouldn't have been there at all, but more on that later) was turned into bubble and I took at least 4-5 early branches to get them out of the way throughout flowering, so I think that had I not been so heavy-handed with that, I would have hit the 100g mark on the clear one as well.

Either way, assuming that I get at least 100g from the last one (which, honestly, may not happen...I'm guessing no more than 90-95 all said and done, but I could get surprised) I will have hit my mark of 100g avg. per plant. Pretty happy with what I got overall, but another week would have done these damned things right, not just "pretty good." I'm a bit of a perfectionist and this is gonna hurt for a while, but oh well...~300g from a 400w light ain't nothing to sneeze at in my experience, so it's all gravy. However, some thoughts on how I could have increased that yield are as follows:

1.) As mentioned, I over-vegged the s-h-i-t out of these things for the space and wattage. Should have given them 3 weeks of veg instead of 5 and trained a lot earlier and perhaps even more aggressively...duly noted for next time.

2.) I'm a mono-cropper by nature, so since I clearly got at least two different phenos in the clones I received, I would definitely choose to run the big one (red) from clone with aforementioned 3 week veg and stuff at least 4, up to 6 of em in the same space. I think if I did so I could pull 1/4lb from each without breaking a sweat....

3.) Finally, as mentioned earlier.....these were cut early. I fucking HATE early-cut plants unless I have a purpose in mind, like with the first one I chopped...thankfully, these were only a few days out from being DONE done, and at the time of chop the trich profile was 80-85% cloudy, 5% (MAYBE 10%) clear, and the rest amber...the big one had a bit less amber than the foxtailed one, but the density and quality of the buds makes up for the slightly longer flowering time I think. I guess we'll see when they're all cured a bit and I can give em a real test run.

More to come soon...soon as I find my camera cord and get some new batteries I'll take some new shots and finish uploading the rest of my other ones...

2/21/12:

Just to cross a couple of t's and dot a couple of i's...

Final weight for the last plant to get cut (black zip ties) was just about right on the dot at 100g. Having smoked all three plants, I've come to the conclusion that the red and clear plants were the same pheno, and I really like the black zip tie pheno the best. Smells like rotten meat, garlic, and onions with a hint of lemon in the background, and I imagine it will get better (or worse, depending on how ya look at it I guess) with the cure. Pretty gnarly, skull-smashing high on all 3 plants, but the most complex and overall enjoyable for me has been the crazy foxtailed girl (the black zip ties). The yield was right on too, so I plan to run this one again in at least one corner of my next setup, which I am building right now. Nothing too fancy, just a pretty basic 4x8 2x600w vscrog/stadium in coco again, same nutes but may be using Blumats this time around because I'm too damned lazy to handwater much more than 3 or 4 at a time lol.

anyways more pics soon, thanks for following along guys, it's been fun...looking forward to the next run for sure

eman resu

so you were able to keep clones of the black zip tie plant?

all around very fun to watch, I hope you journal the next run as well :tiphat:

P@ssw0rd

I also run a plant of the same gentics, 2 of them as a matter of fact. The first has been with me nearly 2 years now, its called "Couchlock" from the BC seed co. I got it in clone form from a fellow medical patient and it is awesome, fast in veg, stretches nicely, yields well and will medicate even the most seasoned of patients.

The second plant is fairly new to my garden and is not likely to last, Legends Ultimate Indica or LUI. I have heard alot of good stuff about this strain and recently started it from seed. Mine seems to have a problem of some sort and rather then try to work it out i think i am just gonna run what i have of her and be done with it. Whatever it is it displays a variegation symptom similar to a mosaic virus.

T

The Sensi Rebel

Awesome journal man, well taken care of!

I've got something similar going on and i'm hoping to yield about 4 onions for my first shot with 4 but i have a feeling i'll get 6. I'm going to do a Dr.Bud style SOG hopefully so I can get my perpetual game dialed in, just have to master cloning..

I got shelves I'm going to put up in a similar space in my cab for the next run around. keep on!

Latest posts

Latest posts