What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Test THC and CBD levels in veg?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Wondering if anyone has tried this. Theory is that plants levels could be tested, say during a seed hunt, and the plants with higher levels in veg will also be higher levels in flower, so you could weed out the lower testers before even flowering them to save room and time. This would have practical application when one is searching for a higher cbd content strain as well. Anyone tried this?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
peeps in colorado are doing it to select male CBD breeding stock and identify high CBD varieties, particularly because CBD is stored in plant cells AND trichromes, unlike THC which is found mostly if not only in trichomes

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I wondwr though id u have 5 plants and you get higher thc ratios in 1 or 2 of them in veg if those 1 or 2 will also have higher thc percentages in flower compared to the ones that test lower in veg.

clearheaded

They would have a higher ratio, amount is tottaly different. Perhaps couls test genetics. But no way to know levels by testing seedling leaves only ratio. Soon will have genetic markers and will be able to make selections pre grow out thats when we will make leaps and bounds in varieties. Think how fast they make differences in canola. Seems every year over past 15 it can be grown furtger and further north and just assuming most has to do with genetic marker type breeding. Ie knowing outcomes of sequences. not super versed in it but chimera def would know

i have done it, not extensively, is good for knowing if the plants are THC or CBD ones if you cannot analize synthases.

Also gives an indication on quantities and ratios

Here you are a couple of results of the same plants in leaf and bud at approx 3/4 flowering

BUD-LEAF_21_march_2017 % CBD % THC ratio CBD/THC

BUD_N10 5,34 0,51 10,47
LEAF_N10 0,60 0,065 9,23
BUD_N14 10,75 0,71 15,14
LEAF_N14 1,67 0,108 15,46

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ECt has done this, Get Mo. If I remember correctly, you could tell RATIOS of different cannabinoids to one another, but the top or peak percentages, are not distinguishable or identifiable. For example, plants with a 2:1 THC:CBD are still just as likely to be only 4% THC : 2% CBD as they are to be 20%:10%. Sometimes, an early test on two different phenos, one showing 1.9% and the other 0.5% THC, the 0.5% will finish flowering with a higher percentage. So even trying to identify the "high potency outliers" was a bit of a miss, in that sense.

Just what I remember from discussing it with him briefly.

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts