What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I am curious about cannabis fan leaves... Is there somesort of benefit from smokin em

I've been wondering...

My thoughts are... The fan leaves should still contain CBD... but no THC right?... but...

If it still has CBD... If I smoke the fan leaves.... Will say like... my headache disappear??? or such problems that CBD cures usually???

Or... will the fan leaves do NOTHING AT ALL?

Anyways yeah... Is there somesort of benefit gained by smoking those fan leaves is my guestion I suppose ???!!!! :):):)

:tiphat::ying:

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
i believe some people smoke them to open up the airways, but as far as thc/cbd etc, no resin = no high, except maybe from oxygen starvation.
smoking leaf gives you headache, in my experience

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been wondering...

My thoughts are... The fan leaves should still contain CBD... but no THC right?... but...

If it still has CBD... If I smoke the fan leaves.... Will say like... my headache disappear??? or such problems that CBD cures usually???

Or... will the fan leaves do NOTHING AT ALL?

Anyways yeah... Is there somesort of benefit gained by smoking those fan leaves is my guestion I suppose ???!!!! :):):)

:tiphat::ying:

The fan leaves start with THCA, but tend to have older more mature trichomes, in which more of the THC has degenerated into CBN.

The leaves themselves are harsh to smoke and don't have good flavor, but you can grind and press them into cannabuttons to reduce the harsh part. It doesn't help the flavor issue.

We extract oil from fan leaves and stems, but use it for topicals, rather than ingestion. When vaporized, it produces more of a charley horse between the ears, than a euphoric high, and is highly sedative.

I highly recommend it if stunned, slack jawed and drooling is your goal, but would eschew it for other purposes.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
The fan leaves start with THCA, but tend to have older more mature trichomes, in which more of the THC has degenerated into CBN.

The leaves themselves are harsh to smoke and don't have good flavor, but you can grind and press them into cannabuttons to reduce the harsh part. It doesn't help the flavor issue.

We extract oil from fan leaves and stems, but use it for topicals, rather than ingestion. When vaporized, it produces more of a charley horse between the ears, than a euphoric high, and is highly sedative.

I highly recommend it if stunned, slack jawed and drooling is your goal, but would eschew it for other purposes.

Hummm interesting you say this... I cook with most of my fan leaves but there was a time that we used to smoke this.. I think most ppl smoked fan leaves and they were always different. In other words it would definately depend on the bud and how good a grower was I guess but they all have different type highs. I agree that for the most part the bud is sleepy but there were a few that it was not. I still make eatibles everyday and when I do I find 3/4 of the bud I use makes you sleepy but 1/4 does not.
So I conclude that not all leaves are created the same stay safe headband 707:woohoo:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A few years ago, in the last couple of months before outdoor harvest, there were a lot of new patients without meds, so I extracted the oil from half of a batch of donated fan leaves and made Super Cannabuttons out of the rest, by grinding them and mixing them with the extracted oil, before pressing.

Grinding and pressing the material toned down the harshness, and the oil added potency, with patients testing it reporting it as highly sedative to stunning, depending on dosage.

None reported any euphoria and my reference to a charley horse between the ears, was an effort to describe the tightness that it produces at my brain stem.

None was left over either, so it was certainly worth the effort, but no one wanted to continue to use it, once outdoor harvest was over and more flavorful and euphoric alternatives were available.

JACKBAYBEH

I don't smoke them but I do juice them for their nutritional properties. Mix it up with wheat and barley grass plus a lil apple and carrot. Nice mid afternoon pick-me-up. LOL.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
A few years ago, in the last couple of months before outdoor harvest, there were a lot of new patients without meds, so I extracted the oil from half of a batch of donated fan leaves and made Super Cannabuttons out of the rest, by grinding them and mixing them with the extracted oil, before pressing.

Grinding and pressing the material toned down the harshness, and the oil added potency, with patients testing it reporting it as highly sedative to stunning, depending on dosage.

None reported any euphoria and my reference to a charley horse between the ears, was an effort to describe the tightness that it produces at my brain stem.

None was left over either, so it was certainly worth the effort, but no one wanted to continue to use it, once outdoor harvest was over and more flavorful and euphoric alternatives were available.

I find that I use this for deeper sleeping but once in awhile I take the batch and can't sleep at all as a matter of fact I'm too awake and it's not for sleeping.
I also noticed that it hits ppl differently. In other words I give the same batch to another person and if it makes me fall asleep it makes them wake up. I really noticed this a lot..... So I would say it would depend on what your looking for .. Do I use this for medication YES... I don't really eat bud to get really high I eat it to medicate. Perhaps this is the difference between the two highs. Not all shake is created equal lol...stay safe headband 707:biggrin:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
II don't really eat bud to get really high I eat it to medicate. Perhaps this is the difference between the two highs. Not all shake is created equal lol...stay safe headband 707:biggrin:

And what symptom you are trying to medicate.

For instance, some PTSD sufferers need higher THC content, while someone looking for an evening med would probably rather have less racy THC and more sedative CBN.

Pain sufferers may be more interested in CBD's than either of the above.

High CBN meds make me groggy upon awakening, so I personally try to minimize them in most cases. That wasn't shared by all of our volunteer test panel members, so take it tongue in cheek (in chops, in my case).

On the other hand, high CBN was helpful with our Alzheimer's patient, when she got wired and in the evening as a sleep aid. It is a sedative, and has its uses!

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
And what symptom you are trying to medicate.

For instance, some PTSD sufferers need higher THC content, while someone looking for an evening med would probably rather have less racy THC and more sedative CBN.

Pain sufferers may be more interested in CBD's than either of the above.

High CBN meds make me groggy upon awakening, so I personally try to minimize them in most cases. That wasn't shared by all of our volunteer test panel members, so take it tongue in cheek (in chops, in my case).

On the other hand, high CBN was helpful with our Alzheimer's patient, when she got wired and in the evening as a sleep aid. It is a sedative, and has its uses!

Yes mine is for pain/sleep so because I use lots of different bud depending on what is avialable.. So I have no control over the CBN's ..
As you know a lot of what you will find in cannabis depends on the timing of the harvest..If you push the CBN's then yes it just gets sleepy ..
I find that cooking cannabis at different stages brings different results but the thing I would like to understand more is wakeful as apposed to sleepy , When I give this to others I have noticed that they react differently then I do. I have seen some ppl not be able to get up after eating a very small amount of cannabis.. With these ppl I don't know if I recommend eating cannabis they seem pretty fucked up.
Part of the problems all problems start with lack of sleep this is when the body starts to break down. Anyone who has sleeping problems will atest to this. The good thing about eating cannabis is it will help you sleep without meds. I can make stronger batches If I just use the fan leaves for the most part it's usually sleepier . If I use bud it's a stonier effect and the longer I cook it the more it seems to degrad and become sleepier.
In some fan leaves have lots of trichs and in some cases I have tried cooking fresh bud this also works. I don't have control because I don't have the machines to test just me :biggrin:
Stay safe headband 707

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been cooking and making tinctures from fan leaves for over 10 years. I've gotten euphoric highs from fan leaves from most of the strains I've grown. I've never tried to smoke them, since I haven't run out of buds since my first harvest.

For people who don't think they work, try this. Take a few grams (depending on tolerance) of fan leaves from a quality sativa. The leaves can come from males or females, it doesn't matter. Boil them in whole milk for 30 minutes, strain, and drink. Try telling me an hour later that you're not high and euphoric.

psyphish

Veteran
I vaporize fan leaves all the time. I do get effects from them, nothing mind blowing, but definitely helps when you don't have any bud.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently smoked leaves from my plants just going into flower, both male and female. I used the upper smaller leaves. Got some decent highs from them. Buds are about 3x as potent.

The larger and lower leaves are the weakest.

Some people have been juicing leaves and adding them to smoothies. There is a funny youtube of a health living guy who does not use the plant except for juicing. He mixed it with fresh papaya juice. Dude gets totally baked after drinking it. He thinks the papaya "cooked" the leaves.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
icon5.gif
I am curious about cannabis fan leaves... Is there somesort of benefit from smokin em

Sure, you get lung cancer and that's good for my business (I'm a pharmacist) :D . Sorry for the bad joke...
Some people have been juicing leaves and adding them to smoothies.
I use younger fan leaves for smoothies, fresh and uncooked. Harmonises perfectly with Aztec sweet herb and nectarine! Never got high from it but for me it's not about getting high, anyway.
IMH hemp/cannabis leaves are a tastier and possibly healthier alternative to barley and wheatgrass. These so called superfoods are pure marketing hype. Whoever it was again who "invented" it (it's not even a new thing, it's common cat grass) was at the right place to the right time with the right idea and most importantly had no qualm to hornswoggle (my dictionary says that's the proper translation and that hornswaggle is actually a real word??? WTF!) all those poor vegans...

prune

Veteran
oh jesus christ, the only reason to voluntarily smoke fan leaves is to leave the good stuff for someone less stupid than yourself...

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Well, properly cured the way tobacco is makes them a quite nice tobacco surrogate. But it's actually rather tricky... had some success by putting a few "fingers" in my tobacco pouch when the tobacco got too dry cause I was carrying it in my pockets. Body temperature and all lead to an astonishingly nice fermentation. Although it works better with mint leaves, that is if you like "menthols".

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
There might be more to this than you think.... It may be possible that the fan leaves carry a higher ratio of CBD to THC than the buds of the same plant.

Something to think about with today's craze about high CBD strains.

http://herb.co/2017/01/07/cannabis-fan-leaves/

The majority of the medicinal and psychoactive potential of the cannabis plant lives in the cola, covering calyxes with crystally resin. Yet, fan leaves do contain some of the vital cannabinoids and acids that give the plant therapeutic value. However, fan leaves only contain trace amounts of these compounds.
In 1971, the United Nations report comparing cannabinoid levels in male and female plants found that the large leaves of some specimens contained as much as 0.3% THC and 0.7% CBD. These results were from a limited number of samples from 8 different geographical regions.
However, a couple of the samples tested negative for detectable amounts of THC. Samples taken from the upper leaves of cannabis plants tested higher for CBD/THC.

Latest posts

Latest posts