What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking of going coco!

Natural

I've got a few questions though!

Can I use my regular fox farm nutes?
How much dolomite lime should I add to keep a stable pH?
How much perlite does it need/should be cut with?

Thanks alot guys!
I hope to make the switch soon :bis:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
1. Yes - but you'll need to adjust your feeding slightly.
2. None
3. Depends on how often you want to water it and how big the pots are. I use straight coco, but if you want a faster draining medium, cut it 33p/67c or 50/50.

I agree except I say you should add dolomite lime.

I use pure coco and put 1 tsp per gal of coco roughly and my ph is always very stable.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
good coco is buffered at a ph of 6.0 which is ideal. so you don't need to bother with dolomite. if you use a nutrient solution with ph around 6.0 then the coco will stay pretty stable ph wise.

as for the perlit that's up to you, the larger the pot you want to use, the more i'd be inclined to mix in some lava rock or hydro ton or even perlit although i don't like the way it floats to the top with time.

SoulRebel

Just as the g man said, though I'm in str8 canna coco. If you want to mix in some perlite for drainage, just fill the bottom inch or so of the pot w/coarse grade perlite to aid in drainage ... though coco drains beautifully on it's own. You may want to add a cal-mag supplement early on to avoid nutrient deficencies since you will be using Foxfarms, but then again the Grow Big is a complete fertilizer, so hmmm... :chin: ... it may not be needed. Best of luck and you're gonna love coco... :wave:

... S R... :joint:

Last edited:

Natural

Thanks everyone! I'm about 90% sold on coco as of now.

Does anyone use this with organic ferts? I like to mix a bit of worm castings, kelp, blood, and bone with my peat...

Latest posts

Latest posts