What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any one who wants to know whats up with lighting at the moment?

HalfArsedFarmer

So you read all the threads, you read the constant back & forth.

CMH is the best bro, HPS is king! LED doesn't have the penetration nor the PAR. I used LED it sucked.

I watched this video with my brother in law who used to design bulbs for a large company as i'm no brain box. He told me what the video says about the way LED had advanced & where they're currently at is 100%

Some of the information given in this video I had no idea about at all.
I own a dimmable ballast and have been dimming bulbs for years...

The video is 30+ mins long but the amount of knowledge dropped is crazy.

I have no skin in the game I'm just a guy who looks after his own needs & wants to do it as efficiently as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92g1SFFDKo

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I find the philips site a guiding light. They go off teaming up with commercial growers, using their own lighting knowledge, and the growers plant knowledge, to do trials that lead the industry. I will read any of their case studies, but tomato one's are especially close to our own goals. They will side-light, top-light, inter-light and base-light. Find what's best, and offer a commercial product that works. The scale of investment and the brains involved is right up there.

I give you the future. An illuminated scrog net
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...hts-from-outdoor-solar-twinkle-lights.jpg&f=1

There is little doubt that for close up lighting, led's are the 'goto' choice in industry. It's just so damn messy though. Side-lighting works, but it's just in the way. Overhead works, but constant canopy adjustments, and again the clutter, is high maintenance. This is why commercial tomato growth is using interlighting and high bays. Not that high bays are specifically more efficient. They are low maintenance and very powerful.

Micro-grow users are shunning the big lights now, and getting right in there with pin point accuracy LED lighting. While people with a warehouse full, don't have time.

Vert growers obviously use side-lighting, but instead of overhead. It's rare we see a side lit crop using top lights as the primaries. To date, I have seen nobody(else) use inter-lighting or uplighters.

Led's are no doubt taking over. Anyone uncertain can look in the microgrow diaries section. Where the highest gram per watt claims are being made, using less watts and less efficient light(compared to a 600). It seems like placement is really helping. Now we have Samsung offering near 200 lumens per watt, even the impressive efforts over there must be rather outdated. There is a move towards making big led lights though, and hanging them high like hids. Which will replace hids, but is a slightly backwards step for a microgrower.

I want that led net. Using the 40w per foot guidance that most are happy with, they're talking 4300lumens. In 200lm/w leds, that's 22w per foot. If I put 3 nets, 3" apart, that's aiming to light 9" of canopy depth. If each is a 3" squares net, with a 0.5w led at each junction, That's 24w per foot. Interlighting. So we can still grow up another ~8" which top lighting can take care of. I have never done the math before, and I'm unsure how hot a diode will get with 0.4w of heat dissipation. We don't need leds every 3" though, we could have string that's linearly lit.

Perhaps I should make it.

positivity

Veteran
It's the topic every day. How would you lose track...lol.

Former CLW (solar storm led) employee? According to comment section

Didn't watch. Guess it's for lighting professionals.

HalfArsedFarmer

Hi Fe

Thanks for the info added. It's a mine field at the moment for people trying to buy these things myself included.

Funny you mention Samsung, he said if they ever wanted to get into the growing game they'd kill it with the LED knowledge they have.

positivity

Veteran
I'm sure it is. I tried all the phosphor and colors so I'm not really excited about most LED info anymore

What's interesting are the new lasers that can produce a large spectrum at fine tuned percentages in a small area.
I can't recall the technology off hand. I limit what I research in lighting myself.
Anyway..,my 2 cents and then some

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks for posting this. Watched this last week and forgot to mention it myself. Awesome information.

In a nutshell:

2018 was the breakout year for LED tech vs. HID, from this point on HID will have to change in some drastic way to keep up in the future.

• Dimming/Over-driving your HID lamps causes spectrum changes
  • LED driver and chip technology has reached an efficiency very close to HID lighting.
  • HID technology uses approximately 30% of your electricity for green/yellow light plants barely use
  • Research into specific spectrum manipulation has only begun, preferences for flower, resin and leaf can be dialed in using specific schedules/wavelengths.
  • The new ceramic based LED chips will last longer (10+ years) than you'll want to keep them (as technology keeps moving forward)
The future is bright, and it's looking to be nearly 100% LED for a while. :tiphat:

packerfan79

Veteran
And that is 1020 watts covering about 35 foot of canopy. So the same power consumption as a 1000 watt HID.

I got 9 ounces with the one I have. Petty good haul with seed plants. With a higher yield clone run I could see 10 to 12 ounces. The bud was better than my hps weed.

Gry

I got 9 ounces with the one I have. Petty good haul with seed plants. With a higher yield clone run I could see 10 to 12 ounces. The bud was better than my hps weed.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may not vote on any more threads today. [/FONT]

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Thanks for posting this. Watched this last week and forgot to mention it myself. Awesome information.

In a nutshell:

2018 was the breakout year for LED tech vs. HID, from this point on HID will have to change in some drastic way to keep up in the future.

• Dimming/Over-driving your HID lamps causes spectrum changes
  • LED driver and chip technology has reached an efficiency very close to HID lighting.
  • HID technology uses approximately 30% of your electricity for green/yellow light plants barely use
  • Research into specific spectrum manipulation has only begun, preferences for flower, resin and leaf can be dialed in using specific schedules/wavelengths.
  • The new ceramic based LED chips will last longer (10+ years) than you'll want to keep them (as technology keeps moving forward)
The future is bright, and it's looking to be nearly 100% LED for a while. :tiphat:

The biggest problem with LEDs is the lie that they will be USABLE for 10 years. After 2 to 3 years of use (10K hours), ALL LED panels lose 10%of their output. The only way to fix it is to replace it. Spectrum King and DEHD Energy are the only ones who publish this data, the rest know but won't post it because their expensive panels are disposable.
If your ROI for LEDs is over 3 years, you'll never get your money back.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The biggest problem with LEDs is the lie that they will be USABLE for 10 years. After 2 to 3 years of use (10K hours), ALL LED panels lose 10%of their output. The only way to fix it is to replace it. Spectrum King and DEHD Energy are the only ones who publish this data, the rest know but won't post it because their expensive panels are disposable.
This is addressed at this point in the video...

Plastic substrate based LEDs (ALL LEDs up until recently), lose up to 30% efficiency over 50-60k hours. The new Osram ceramic based chips are losing 10% over 100k hours. Yes, they're publishing it.

Times are changing and so are LED's :D Loving it. :D

Ichabod Crane

Veteran

My LEDs pay me back in less than 2 years with out adding in my cooling cost.

And not all LED diodes are the same. And not all LED diodes are run the same.

Heat kills diodes. Running a diode at a lower current extends the lifetime and makes it more efficient by lowering the temp it is run at.

Poorly built and high current will surely kill the LED early, but to say 3 years is the lifetime goes against what is out there by 3rd party testers. Not the LED makers.

positivity

Veteran
I see we have the local led lobby

There is still a problem with lots of varieties of weed coming out with the quality of perfumed hay

But that's what this lobby wants.

They want to lower the quality standard of weed so their commercial tuna cans don't come off as generic

So their greenhouse weed that they really prefer has less competition

And the side benefit of selling you over priced and under performing grow lights

Record yields of perfumed hay.

Yay.

Carry on gentlemen

Latest posts

Latest posts