What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

redlaser

Veteran
Sorry I've never extracted with citric acid, only degumming with it.

jump117's graph was reasonably close when we checked it out. The thing to consider is how the decarb was done. It is different when done in a thin layer on hot glass, than when herb is simply placed in the oven or cooked in a crocpot.

The multiple short duration heating to extract, is intended to remove the resin using less overall heat, but it certainly isn't the only way to do it. Long duration extractions tend to lower the THC/CBD and raise the CBN contents.

Good point on technique being key, all comes down to temperature, and time at that temperature.

I don’t usually pay close attention to the temp of the water when combining coconut oil, water and cannabis. I put cannabis in the oven first to decarb it.

Boiling is around 220 if I remember right, so a slow crockpot would be a lot less, possibly explaining the need for longer cooking. Or perhaps to bring out more CBN as you point out.

Many ways to skin the poor cat, I’m mostly focused on THc so don’t want to lose any of that if possible.

Need to try to decarb at lower than 220 for 30 minutes in the oven to see if I can notice any benefit, sounds like I might.

LungCooking

Im enjoying making QWET.

I put in the freezer grain alcohol and the flowers and the next day i mix everything, give a nice shake, then i strain everything and boil the solvent in a glass cup of 500ml on a hotplate till i see no bubbles, i make sure i use a laser thermother to keep eveything within the right temperature...

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I've been using Skunkpharms QWET procedure for years to make tinctures. just got a Source Turbo so I can stop wasting alcohol.

Anybody got a suggestion for a good vac chamber and single stage pump?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made BHO back in the day with a stainless turkey baster, coffee filters and a small piece of stainless mesh. Sketchy as hell even doing it outside, imo. Results were spectacular even for as dirty as it was. I know why they started calling it Hippy Crack.

Nowadays I own a 20 ton rosin press with 3x7 plates. Love it. Way better product with no sovents.

I also own a tumbler, which takes out most of the manual labor part of kif. I then squish it in my rosin press or make old school hash out of it. If I want to refine it further, I have a set of silk screens frames I can use to try and get to pure heads, though I've never committed to going that far. I'm leary of doing it outside in the winter because I live in an illegal state and have several close neighbors.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
I made BHO back in the day with a stainless turkey baster, coffee filters and a small piece of stainless mesh. Sketchy as hell even doing it outside, imo. Results were spectacular even for as dirty as it was. I know why they started calling it Hippy Crack.

Nowadays I own a 20 ton rosin press with 3x7 plates. Love it. Way better product with no sovents.

I also own a tumbler, which takes out most of the manual labor part of kif. I then squish it in my rosin press or make old school hash out of it. If I want to refine it further, I have a set of silk screens frames I can use to try and get to pure heads, though I've never committed to going that far. I'm leary of doing it outside in the winter because I live in an illegal state and have several close neighbors.

Vaporizer.. Rosin on demand.. Cant argument against it. Fuck heroin/solvent weed.

So thanks for the lecture, now can somebody answer my question?:dunno:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So thanks for the lecture, now can somebody answer my question?:dunno:

You asked probably one of the most thought out, but still incredibly broad questions you could have asked. It all comes down to personal preference and what you are willing to spend to have what you want.

It's akin to asking "what's the best car?"

If you're in a legal state, try the different types of extracts and find which ones you like best. Then research how to make it and find out if you can do so easily in your own home.

Each one has it's pluses and minuses. you need to figure out what works for you.

mowood3479

Veteran
Bho for me (but I live in the woods and can blast outside)
Want to get into rosin but haven’t bought the equipment I’ll need yet

mowood3479

Veteran
Also, I’m 100% sure that using solvents doesn’t turn cannabis into heroin.
If it did, the world would be a far different place.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been using Skunkpharms QWET procedure for years to make tinctures. just got a Source Turbo so I can stop wasting alcohol.

Anybody got a suggestion for a good vac chamber and single stage pump?

I infer you are looking for a chamber to finish the product from your Source Turbo, so that the alcohol content is relatively low.

A CPS VP6D is what I've used extensively for that and other purposes, and just watched the oil level and changed it regularly.

A good chemical duty pump for cold boiling, would be the Welch 2052, but they're not cheap.

The cheapest vacuum chambers are arguably BVV, which is where I would start.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
I infer you are looking for a chamber to finish the product from your Source Turbo, so that the alcohol content is relatively low.

A CPS VP6D is what I've used extensively for that and other purposes, and just watched the oil level and changed it regularly.

A good chemical duty pump for cold boiling, would be the Welch 2052, but they're not cheap.

The cheapest vacuum chambers are arguably BVV, which is where I would start.

Thank you Sir :tiphat:, I was initially going to PM you but thought it would be better to share the answer with the community, not sure why it seems to be such a perplexing question.....

I ended up getting a slightly less expensive 6 CFM pump. In researching parts it seems until you spend a ton of dollars it's almost cheaper to buy a new one than try to fix an old one.

BVV was out of stock on the two models I had my eye on so I got this one instead

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you Sir :tiphat:, I was initially going to PM you but thought it would be better to share the answer with the community, not sure why it seems to be such a perplexing question.....

I ended up getting a slightly less expensive 6 CFM pump. In researching parts it seems until you spend a ton of dollars it's almost cheaper to buy a new one than try to fix an old one.

BVV was out of stock on the two models I had my eye on so I got this one instead

Should work! You will need a heat mat and some way to control it, like a Variac. If it is under 600W, you can use a light dimmer switch.

hydralisk

Back when I started growing I bought two bubble bags, basically the largest I could find (16gal). I only use two bags because I'm lazy, if I had to do all that work with 8 bags I wouldn't bother with my trim. I keep going several rounds with the same material back and forth between two buckets and I only stop once the yield is minimal. I have bad experience putting (semi)large buds through bubble bags. I feel like much is wasted.

After coming back from hibernation the last few years I can see that rosin is the shit so I've been researching that lately and after my next harvest I'll probably buy the materials to build a press myself. That is if I have the money for it after stocking up on spare light bulbs, nutrients and water pumps.

mexweed

Veteran
bubble machine

2 or 3 best microns get collected in a large shot glass, washed with alcohol, and filtered

set out in the sun to break down any chlorophyll, I often use fresh from the bags so the alcohol solution is green

volume is reduced and put through 0.2 micron, carbon scrubbed and de filtered, 0.2 again

full evaporation and then some time over lightly boiling water

there is never more than 5 floz or so of alcohol used, except when I clean the bubble bags and do the same procedure

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I'm bumping this thread because I've decided I'm going to convert about a half pound of Honduras Breeze flowers into oil. I'm still thinking about last minute decisions, but it feels like I'm leaning toward giving bubble bags a try. I might just go ahead and order a set today because I really think that's what I'm going to try out...

Siskiyou

Veteran
I actually enjoy making bubble hash a few times a year. Bubble rosin is an easy conversion and I feel it is less wasteful than squishing flowers.