What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light spectrum for increased potency

Aces666

Heard in one of those Cannacribs episodes on YouTube, that if you give plant just blue light, the last few days of flowering, that it increases potency. Any science behind it? Any experiences? Would love to know more. Thanks :kiss:

B

bench warmer

My gut tells me if you increase glandular trichomes (thereby maximizing a chemovar’s resin output) you will have made the plant as potent as possible. Metal halides were known to do that before the Gavita era ushered in.. supplementary UVB also increased resin.
Now if I’m understanding things correctly, 315w 4100 kelvin CMH are the way to go for this response.
I may be wrong however. :dunno:

I think the most effective way of increasing resin and tricomes comes not with the light spectrum but with stimulating the immune system of the plant.

hey maybe both would be the best.

707OGBUSH970

Full spectrum as close to sunlight as possible, with slight spikes in blue and red and full UV supplementation. Daylight MH flowering (Hortilux Blue Daylight especially) is what is best, but it doesn't quite yield like HPS, obviously. Better all day I think if you aren't purely commercial with a serious bottom line.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
:yeahthats

The red yields slightly more photosynthetic energy than blue.. the sun kicks out about equal red, blue and green. And plants only reflect around 15% green the rest is actually absorbed, despite what sheeple have been parroting for decades. The full spectrum informs the full range of plant genetics that would be activated through a normal season, as you would expect since they evolved under the sun.

https://gpnmag.com/article/growing-plants-with-green-light/

"Green light and flowering.*Flowering of plants with a photoperiodic flowering response is primarily regulated by two pigments: phytochrome and cryptochrome. Phytochrome primarily absorbs red and far-red radiation while cryptochrome primarily absorbs blue and UV-A radiation. These pigments also absorb green light, although to a much smaller degree. Because of this, one would expect green light delivered during the night (to create a long day) to be relatively ineffective at regulating flowering. However, our recent research has shown that in many plants, green light is just as effective at regulating flowering of long-day plants as the same intensity of red plus far-red radiation."

Defacto

:yeahthats

The red yields slightly more photosynthetic energy than blue.. the sun kicks out about equal red, blue and green. And plants only reflect around 15% green the rest is actually absorbed, despite what sheeple have been parroting for decades. The full spectrum informs the full range of plant genetics that would be activated through a normal season, as you would expect since they evolved under the sun.

https://gpnmag.com/article/growing-plants-with-green-light/

Thanks for this!

And thanks for the Hortilux Blue recommendation 707OGBUSH970

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As others have said, you have to increase UV-B exposure, which is HARMFUL to humans. Which means, at the levels necessary to see a dramatic increase in potency, you have to have levels which would keep you from being in your garden during the hours of exposure. That's part of the problem that makes implementing something like this on a large scale practical. If you have enough plants, you don't have enough daylight time without UV-B running to actually tend them, creating a catch-22, because the improvements from the lighting are offset by other aspects that need daily attention getting overlooked.

dank.Frank

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
No, UVA penetrates further into living tissues but they all cause mutagenesis through DNA damage depending on intensity and duration.

You could argue it isnt ethical to hire staff and beam carcinogenic wavelengths at them whilst they work. But there is a whole industry making sun creams for this just lather up lol :D

Also if you're up a mountain tending Ganja in the sun the UV radiation levels are probably much higher still than you would want in a practical sense to be working under.. getting a tan should always come with being a gardener..

Where i live in the west of Britain we're really on the wet side due to the jet/gulf stream. so im not complaining at some extra vit D.. growers in the PNW could probably do with working more under UVB lights with all the suicide rates up there..

heatherlonglee

What episode is this info on? I'd like to watch it please.
I swear I don't know any of these dudes that posted here. lol
Right on time fellas. :headbange
I'll also second the Eye Hortilux Blue; my personal (shared just not appreciated) secret weapon! This bulb should get much more love!

my cali lightworks ss440 is a blurple spectrum with uvb supplementation. it grew fantastic plants. great potency and terp profile. but the bud structure wasn't perfect. i got a full spectrum led fixture with a far red and deep blue bloom supplementation and my plants are 1000% better. full spectrum is where its at and all this "unused spectrum" stuff is silly. plants evolved under full spectrum. as many have said before, this shit works and theres really no 2 ways about it. try a combo of the 3000k and 3500k COB led's. i promise you wont be disappointed.

Aces666

and yes, we all evolved under full spectrum sun light, but what we are talking about here essentially is light hacking

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my personal (shared just not appreciated) secret weapon!

Oh, it's appreciated, just not in threads where people are actively trying to do something different than this. It's like going into a thread about cheerios and discussing why everyone should be eating frosted flakes instead.

I never said you were wrong, I only said your statements don't factor in the intent of people trying something new. No hard feelings at all HLL. :tiphat:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

hyposomniac

Seeing the video, it sounds like he is using potency to refer to potency of terpenes, a potent smell, if u will. People have been preaching that for a long while, switch to mh, lower intensity for the final week or whatever.
They have an analytical lab on premises so I don't doubt him. Man that place makes me feel small.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Impressive scale but the quality just looked really bleh.. very souless and unloved..

I like all of my herbal medicine to have been loved when it was grown. Connoisseurs know..