What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Florida Marijuana Bill Would Outlaw Smokable and Edible Medicine

R

Robrites

Florida’s United for Care campaign spent two full election cycles — 2014 and 2016 — drafting, fighting, and pushing Floridians to legalize medicinal cannabis for demonstrably sick people. Last year, 72 percent of Floridians voted to amend the state constitution to legalize medical weed for people with diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s. Now it’s up to the Florida Legislature to adopt medical marijuana rules.
Yesterday, Fort Myers Rep. Ray Rodrigues finally unveiled the first Florida marijuana regulations — and they would ban people from smoking marijuana or using edibles. Patients would also be prohibited from vaporizing weed if they aren’t terminally ill.
In fact, Rodrigues’ bill is more restrictive than the laws that existed before citizens overwhelmingly voted to legalize Florida marijuana.
“It goes further than the current statute in terms of restricting medical marijuana,” says Ben Pollara, United for Care’s campaign director. “There was unanimous agreement that the new amendment would expand use.”
Rodrigues’ bill, which he introduced Tuesday, defines the “medical use” of cannabis as “the acquisition, possession, use, delivery, transfer, or administration of marijuana authorized by a physician certification.”
Specifically, however, the bill says medical use does not include “possession, use, or administration of marijuana in a form for smoking or vaping or in the form of commercially produced food items made with marijuana or marijuana oils, except for vapable forms possessed, used, or administered by or for a qualified patient diagnosed with a terminal condition.”
The restrictions perplex marijuana advocates such as Pollara.
“The question we’ve been asking all day is, ‘Well, how can you ingest it?'” he told New Times.
Before last year’s legalization vote, the state had already allowed low-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) cannabis derivatives for terminally ill people under what was known as the “Compassionate Use” law. Under the old system, doctors could register on a state database and administer low-THC, high-cannabidiol medicines such as the “Charlotte’s Web” hemp extract.
The rest of Rodrigues’ 61-page bill effectively treats medical marijuana patients like they’re registering to ingest uranium. Lawmakers included rules mandating that a medical cannabis patient submit his or her state driver’s license and a second form of ID to obtain approved for medicinal weed. Patients can have their medical-pot licenses suspended if they’re charged (not convicted) of any drug offense; the state can also revoke pot licenses once a patient is deemed to be “cured.”

Read More

WTF ! Thats just plain madness, getting now where and not helping out the patients that need it. That whole bill is a waste of time and money. And WTF are these people afraid of? They can have it but its gonna be low levels, whats the point in that there no medical benefits in low levels with some one sick. Florida lawmakers have thier heads up the ass.

R

Robrites

WTF ! Thats just plain madness, getting now where and not helping out the patients that need it. That whole bill is a waste of time and money. And WTF are these people afraid of? They can have it but its gonna be low levels, whats the point in that there no medical benefits in low levels with some one sick. Florida lawmakers have thier heads up the ass.
Florida passed a law permitting medical marijuana and this jackass is trying to make it impossible to use.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what does this mean? Do they "vote" on it? Is this how it is in Fla now? What does it mean?

R

Robrites

So what does this mean? Do they "vote" on it? Is this how it is in Fla now? What does it mean?
72 percent of Florida citizens passed a law making medical marijuana legal. It is up to the Florida legislature to decide on rules. The legislature is trying to impose rules that make it near impossible to use. Thereby going against what the voters wanted.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
this is why im not going to be a part of the Fl medical Cannabis program.

ill continue to grow my own and if im ever convicted of growing ill appeal to the Fl supreme court claiming medical necessity.

some things never change in the dirty south

peace

OldPhart

This issue isn't exclusive to the south. In Mass., here is just one bill that was drafted. Dirty dirty bastards.

1. WHEREAS, by public referendum on November 8, 2016 in accord with the Massachusetts Constitution, citizen in the Commonwealth voted in the affirmative to approve the legal use, consumption and ingestion of certain amounts of the drug marijuana;

2. WHEREAS, decriminalization of marijuana use does not eliminate other forms of criminal behavior or civil infractions;

3. WHEREAS, the use of marijuana will, in fact, increase criminal activity and civil wrong-doing;

4. WHEREAS, marijuana is a mind-altering drug that directly affects the brain, the reflexes and the human thought process and its use is highly addictive;

5. WHEREAS, the medical and psychological effects and uncertain human behavior as to action and intent of any person using, consuming and ingesting marijuana will be present in the Commonwealth and pose a threat to the safety of all persons, property and animals;

6. WHEREAS, the use of marijuana, legalized by the passage of the referendum law on November 8, 2016 will substantially increase in the workplace, in homes, on the roadways, in public transportation, and in all public and private spaces and offices;

7. WHEREAS, the Massachusetts Legislature, along with the Executive and Judicial Branches of government in the Commonwealth have both an implicit and explicit obligation to protect citizens under the Massachusetts Constitution and its Preamble, from all foreseen dangers;

NOW, THEREFORE, it being established that legalizing the use of marijuana in the Commonwealth by voters was a mistake; it will increase unwanted criminal and civil wrong-doing and as a result will place many innocent citizens, including young children, in imminent danger with regard to medical, health, financial, family, physical, mental and social conditions:

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, that the Citizen Referendum Law approving the use of Marijuana in the Commonwealth on November 8, 2016 is HEREBY REPEALED in its entirety.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Sore losers…I guess the vote of the people doesn’t mean much to these clowns. The irony is how do they think they get elected.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Huh? So now it's not legal?

This issue isn't exclusive to the south. In Mass., here is just one bill that was drafted. Dirty dirty bastards.

1. WHEREAS, by public referendum on November 8, 2016 in accord with the Massachusetts Constitution, citizen in the Commonwealth voted in the affirmative to approve the legal use, consumption and ingestion of certain amounts of the drug marijuana;

2. WHEREAS, decriminalization of marijuana use does not eliminate other forms of criminal behavior or civil infractions;

3. WHEREAS, the use of marijuana will, in fact, increase criminal activity and civil wrong-doing;

4. WHEREAS, marijuana is a mind-altering drug that directly affects the brain, the reflexes and the human thought process and its use is highly addictive;

5. WHEREAS, the medical and psychological effects and uncertain human behavior as to action and intent of any person using, consuming and ingesting marijuana will be present in the Commonwealth and pose a threat to the safety of all persons, property and animals;

6. WHEREAS, the use of marijuana, legalized by the passage of the referendum law on November 8, 2016 will substantially increase in the workplace, in homes, on the roadways, in public transportation, and in all public and private spaces and offices;

7. WHEREAS, the Massachusetts Legislature, along with the Executive and Judicial Branches of government in the Commonwealth have both an implicit and explicit obligation to protect citizens under the Massachusetts Constitution and its Preamble, from all foreseen dangers;

NOW, THEREFORE, it being established that legalizing the use of marijuana in the Commonwealth by voters was a mistake; it will increase unwanted criminal and civil wrong-doing and as a result will place many innocent citizens, including young children, in imminent danger with regard to medical, health, financial, family, physical, mental and social conditions:

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, that the Citizen Referendum Law approving the use of Marijuana in the Commonwealth on November 8, 2016 is HEREBY REPEALED in its entirety.

OldPhart

Huh? So now it's not legal?

It's still legal so far, that is just one of like 14 bills that have been submitted, that would all gut the law that was passed to varying degrees. The only one that they have pulled so far was a special session over the holidays, kicking the date for retail sale out to june 2018. That was just another slime ball move, got together a half dozen people, called it a special session, and singed the bill into law without even a vote.

I am just waiting though, I bet they will figure out some way to screw us over, just like the FL law makers are fixing to attempt to do with their MMJ law. What scares me is that they can do these special sessions, and just ram a bill through into law, pretending it is some type of emergency. That should be grounds for hanging, but I'm not bitter or anything :p

OP

From oldpharts post no need to qoute whole thing.

4. WHEREAS, marijuana is a mind-altering drug that directly affects the brain, the reflexes and the human thought process and its use is highly addictive.

100% lies and complete bullshit!! If cannabis is so addictive then how did I accomplish stopping cold turkey in january I had to in order to get a better paying job.
I smoked medical cannabis heavy for 8 years straight everyday, multiple and many times a day, even in the middle of the nite, and because our fucking society has to "drug test" for marijuana i needed to stop. I havent smoked since. And i have substituted nothing, not pills, not booze, not cigarettes, nothing!! Just stopped smoking cannabis, Other then feeling nauseous and a 2 weeks of headaches im fine, my wife didnt even know until I actually told her i hadnt smoked for 2 weeks.

FUCK THE GOVERNMENT AND THE POLITICIANS TRYING TO CONTROL THE PUBLIC WITH LIES, thier all a Bunch of worthless fucks! As the choke everyone with toxic poison......pills.
Addictive my ass, its a choice, right now i choose not to smoke, ive got a nice room full of plants, ill resume smoking when im in a better paying job, and one that dont do randoms, that's invasion of my privacy, so long as i show up and do my job its none of anyone business I use cannabis! They dont do randoms for alcohol!! Happy smoking everyone.

The citizens of this country run the government the government dont run the citizens. Grow and smoke all you want.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TerraPreta

If you think that cannabis is not a mind altering drug that affects reflexes your only fooling yourself.

That statement is not 100% lies!

Stop lying to yourself!

100% lies and complete bullshit!! If cannabis is so addictive then how did I accomplish stopping cold turkey in january I had to in order to get a better paying job.
I smoked medical cannabis heavy for 8 years straight everyday, multiple and many times a day, even in the middle of the nite, and because our fucking society has to "drug test" for marijuana i needed to stop. I havent smoked since. And i have substituted nothing, not pills, not booze, not cigarettes, nothing!! Just stopped smoking cannabis, Other then feeling nauseous and a 2 weeks of headaches im fine, my wife didnt even know until I actually told her i hadnt smoked for 2 weeks.

want.

Yeah, I agree with MJPassion. Of course I'm all for legalization and freedom of choice, but marijuana isn't some benign substance.

The nausea and headaches you experienced were withdrawl symptoms. People don't experience withdrawl unless they are addicted to something.

However, one can also become addicted to coffee and it may be more detrimental than marijuana. Alcohol and tobacco are legal and for sure they are more detrimental than marijuana.

It is messed up they are trying to secretly pass bills that effectively gut the legislation passed in Massechusetts and Florida. Some of the states on the East Coast will be the last ones to legalize, if they ever do.

TerraPreta

If you think that cannabis is not a mind altering drug that affects reflexes your only fooling yourself.

That statement is not 100% lies!

Stop lying to yourself!

My bad i cut an paste the whole section to show where it can from, i was referring specifically to it be addictive, shoulda been clearer, meaning if its so addictive then one shouldn't be able to stop without being in a rehab or getting medical treatment, an alcoholic would be hospitalized for stopping after so much use, Of course i was detoxing, but it wasnt so bad that im crurled up on the floor in extreme pain or extreme distress and again not so much that one needs something else to supplement or assistance stop smoking. Should been clearer, me saying lies is how they keep telling people its so harmful to all of us, when they push prescription drugs .

Florida is missing out on all the tax money that the herb would bring the state. GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY VOTED FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beanzy

I am on a mailing list Florida For Care because I donated as well my time and money so I am frustrated also. The corrupt Government under Rick Scott is nauseating.
He put in charge of process and policy the same people on his side that waged an expensive and futile war against MMJ.
We won the battle but are still losing the war.

eyes

Veteran
Doesnt suprise me that they are back peddling. People are still going to keep doing what they do regardless. I know I will.