What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain for seed production?

Mengsk

Anyone aware of strains bred for seed production? Normally I wouldn't consider growing a staple crop at home like rice or corn. But what if I'm seriously thinking about growing hemp/cannabis for seeds (to eat), is that similar/same as hemp?
Like this saknepal.org / wp-content / uploads / 2015 / 06 / Desormeaux-Kayla-1.pdf

You can get hemp seeds really cheap on ebay. They are considerably larger seeds. If its for food, size would matter i guess.

therevverend

Veteran
I'd just google it and go from there. I don't know if they're using hemp strains for seed production or specific seed strains. I've seen pictures of Asian seed strains from Korea, China, and Japan. They're huge, much larger then any other cannabis seeds. Ideally that's what you want but I have no idea what is commercially available. Let us know what you find out.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chinese Yunnan was breed for food.
The seeds are the size of small peas.
Pretty sure ACE or CBG has them from time to time.

St. Phatty

The Cannabis plants that create the most seeds are the plants with the most Pistils.

100% pollination ==> 1 pollen grain per pistil, every pistil gets pollinated and its seed brach gets a seed.

So you want a Big Sativa if you want a plant that creates a lot of seeds.

And if weight is a criteria, a Sativa that creates Big Seeds.

I remember a freebie from Marc Emery, Blue Thai ... BIG Seeds.

I have had some Sativas grown for flower that had fibers that seemed as strong as steel.

Probably wasn't but that would also be a good kind of Mother plant, Big Sativa with impressive fiber strength. Would produce the maximum amount of seeds if properly pollinated.

How does that affect neighboring Cannabis grows if a Hemp farm is pollinating ? Seems like it would become a real challenge to keep things Sinsemilla.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
some industrail seed strains " Antal, Monoica, KC Dóra, Tisza and KC Zuzana "
some of them is good for triple purpose, mostly double ( seed, fiber, flowers for cbd)

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
As a rule of thumbs: early to mid-flowering hemp varieties are commonly used for seeds whilst late flowering ones are grown for fibres. The more north you grow, the earlier the variety has to be and the warmer/sunnier the climate, the better it works with later flowering ones. Sowing density has also a great impact on growth structure (branching) and hence is an important feature when planning on growing hemp for seeds, fibres, or both.
Check out "The Hemp Seed Hub", link provided in my signature ;) .

Ollie

Veteran
Being indoor and for seeds, Var. Finola could be a option.

Price wise tought You are way better of by buying the seeds for consumption than growing them.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Being indoor and for seeds, Var. Finola could be a option.

Price wise tought You are way better of by buying the seeds for consumption than growing them.

I can purchase a 3lb sack of shelled seeds for about $20.

I can grow a several lbs of seeded ganja for the same amount of money.

How are you getting your figures?
They don't add up in my eyes.

Latest posts

Latest posts