What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I got a "job" and I'm not very happy

bozga

So my friend called me and said they need new employees... I went for a job interview and a guy who is in charge for employees told me that I should have to volunteer for 2 weeks and than they wouldn't know if they would hire me...
I'm not really motivated to spend my resources, my own travel costs to get to office by car and pay for my meals... And I get 0$ for first two weeks.
My friend who's working there has been working for 2 and half months and yesterday she got her paycheck and contract for next three months. :/
What's frustrating about the whole thing is the owner of the company and he's douchebag; recently he bought himself his private castle for couple milion $.
I'm not feelin' like working for this kind of people. I talked to editor in chief today and they want me to work saturdays and sundays for 500$ per month. I said I will prepare some materials for next week and I said I don't work on weekends.
Do you think I should quit and don't show up for work on monday?
This is shitty situation>

Bullfrog44

Veteran
It is always easier to find a job when you have a job. Take it and keep looking for something better. Get off unemployment and make your own money. This should really be a no brainier. Unless you have different options waiting on the table?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
:yeahthats Kids today don't understand this simple principle. Once again- "It is easier to find a job if you've already got a job." Don't quit/refuse a job just because it's a shit job- 95% of them ARE. And they don't hand out the 5% of good jobs to effin' slackers. Hope this helps!

mad librettist

Veteran
In my country, there is something caled a minimum wage.

If you are an independent contractor it does not apply, but in that case the terms of employment should be spelled out in a contract.

requiring an employee to work for free as a condition of employment, for any amount of time, is illegal. If you are an intern and the work you do is not directly related to your education, that is illegal too.

If you are "in training", you still need to be paid. That is federal law, AFAIK.

Iraganji

Don't be frustrated. That's a good start i feel. :) Next I would tackle the motivation. In
todays job market there will be lots of people who are motivated, and employers know
when they see it and when they don't.

I find that focusing on the success of your boss never helps the success of yourself.
Don't worry about the "things" in their life, focus on the things in yours. Self made
successful people don't harbor jealous envy towards those more successful.

What's the harm in sticking your toes in the water with a fresh outlook?
Perhaps, whether the water is warm or cold is up to you.
Keep that chin up.

Good Luck!

mad librettist

Veteran
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm

Employees who lack a high school diploma, or who have not completed the eighth grade, who spend part of their workweeks in remedial reading or training in other basic skills that are not job specific. Employers may require such employees to engage in these activities up to 10 hours in a workweek. Employers must pay normal wages for the hours spent in such training but need not pay overtime premium pay for training hours
Employees may find out how to file a complaint by contacting the local Wage and Hour Division office, or by calling the program's toll-free help line at 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243). In addition, an employee may file a private suit, generally for the previous two years of back pay (three years in the case of a willful violation) and an equal amount as liquidated damages, plus attorney's fees and court costs.
It is a violation of the Act to fire or in any other manner discriminate against an employee for filing a complaint or for participating in a legal proceeding under the Act.

bozga

Yeah it's a shit job and the whole company is in complete chaos.
I'm not sure if I would get a contract..... or if I get it, I might wait for months to sign that paper shit up, for what - 500-600$ per month....

I spend at least 300$ for gasoline and meals....I'm left with couple hundred $ and can't do shit with that. I cannot move from home with that money. Can't afford decent living.
I have opportunity for another job and I feel I might get hired. Finishing my university now so maybe it will help me a bit.

Regarding the law on minimum wage, we have the same law but nobody gives a shit about that law and employers exploit humans , they earn milions, and people should work for them for miserable wages........My country should join EU next year and things are getting worse than ever. :fsu:

mad librettist

Veteran
this employer will not go from trying to screw you to trying to be fair.

the farther you rise, the harder they will screw.

walk away.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
If you're unemployed and have opportunity to earn a little money...go for it until something better comes along...I agree 10000% that it is much easier to find a job while you've got a job. I also subscribe to the notion of finding something you love, then finding a way to get paid for it. You'll be much more rewarded if you are doing something you love, even if the money isn't so great. Life is not all about money, as you well may know, but money certainly allows you to live. Good luck!

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Seems that in todays jobless market, more companies are going the unpaid intern route. All it does is get the employers free labor for the length of the "internship/tryout. So the bosses get free labor and then say hey sorry you don't work out. NEXT and another victim shows up.

As for having a job to get a job, true some employers are now saying the unemployed need not apply, somehow thats just wrong in todays economy, employers may miss out on good employees with that attitude. When I was hiring people I liked to have those who really needed a job, they tend to be grateful for work and were happy as hell to show up everyday for a job with bennies and half assed decent pay to start.
Don't know where we're headed but when the government socalled leaders say that unemployment bennies only encourge people to sit homw and collect a check has never been out of work. Maybe our elected officials need to be in the unemployment line. But they just turn around and become lobbyists and suck off the government tit anyway most of them never had a real job where you had to bust your butt each day,
my two cents
:smoweed:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Maybe our elected officials need to be in the unemployment line. But they just turn around and become lobbyists and suck off the government tit anyway most of them never had a real job where you had to bust your butt each day,
my two cents
:smoweed:

Here Here!!!

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I have not worked as a W2 for the past half of my life!

IMHO if one is willing to deliver quality work he/she should easily qualify doing w/e they chose to on his/her own and not slave for someone else!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They should at least cover your expenses for the days you work. I do this with even the most unskillful person that comes and does a test day for me.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
"Volunteer" for two weeks?

They are actively seeking idiots.

Isn't that against labor laws too?

K

KSP

All I can tell you is what I would do. Someone asks me to work for free, during a "trial" period, no way brother. I'd tell them to stick it up their ass and walk on. But that's just me.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Eons ago I have volunteered to work for free as a negotiating tool for a salary. As in "Try me out for a week or two, see if I produce, and then we'll talk money. Fair enough?"

Moved me to the top of the list and I always got the job...and my money. The bucket of goodwill never hurt either.

Having been both an employee and an employer, I understand how risky it is to take someone on who is actively seeking employment with a competitor. This also goes for the lost time and money a new employee brings as he gets used to your system.

I love how a lot of people replace logic and common sense with political dogma as if an employer is robbing them of something. Remember: If your shit didn't stink you would still be working and the other guy would be looking for a job.

It's a marketplace. You are only worth what you bring to the table. The potential employee sets the price along with the employer. Too low and the boss has no help. Too high , no profit.
It's a symbiotic relationship even when workers far exceed available work. It cost money to put you in the building with no assurance of a payback. Rotating workers in and out to find a keeper is damn expensive and unproductive.

I will admit this co. has reached a new height in attempting to cut losses associated with new employees, but I would make it known that the compensation would have to be commensurate with the risk that you will incur also, should you be the new hire and that all expenses will be reimbursed with the back pay for the 2 weeks.

You mentioned an editor so I will assume it is a staff writing position. I have no idea how they traditionally employ people and compensate them, but given the abysmal writing skills I have seen from the major wire services that would never pass an eighth grade English class of my youth,* I can also assume they are aware of the paucity of talent in the workforce and are attempting to weed out the less qualified.

Only you can do the cost / benefit assessment on this one. Be aware that in this job climate if you don't take it, someone else surely will.
Good luck.

* I was a woeful student and gleefully suck at writing.