What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The whining about work thread...

mtbazz

Figured Id start a thread centered around complaining about work...

I have a very well paying job, my salary last year was 110k which includes almost a month of vacation time, a week of personal days, and great healthcare (at least until Obama care kicks in) but with that comes alot of bullshit..

3-5 years ago it was pretty much a cake job and not very demanding, roll in at eight, leave at 4. This left plenty of time for fun things, working out, playing music with people, enjoying the outdoors, etc.

Than we were transitioned to another department run by a first generation chinese woman who is, in no uncertain terms a bitch. Since than I have seen my workload quadrupled, I still roll in at eight, but now frequently am in work till 530 or six. This is a workday that includes no coffee breaks, working through lunch, etc...it does not end at 530 either, I frequently am working till nine or so at night.

Weekends are no longer even sacred. In order to remove "white space" (periods of inactivity certain pieces of equipment), they have brought on line automation to out labs, so that now equipment can be run over the weekend and monitored remotely.

Oh, as for that 4 weeks of vacation, forget about taking consecutive weeks off..Unofficial departmental policy allows only one week at a time.

I know in this economy I should be grateful to have a job that pays well and helps to keep me from living under a bridge, but it pretty much sucks ass...

By the way, this is the pharma industry.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
you didn't think about the potential reactions when you let this one roll off your fingers huh??

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Hey, everyones allowed to bitch right? Plus I am sure there are people here in a similar situation to me..

110% but relativity is a factor too

read your post from different perspectives and the ironies are a bit much

for me personally you were over payed and now that you have to actualize your worth your upset

no free lunch, its that kind of excess and waste, which has been passed to the middle, lower income classes through debt and foreclosure, that is undermining the quality of life

why? cause big capital interests pass liability not the bucks, they hoard them and use those capital interests to marginalize the small business holdings of the middle class

its like people how lost their jobs at mortgage brokers a few years ago, did they really think easy money was gonna be around forever? Did everyone get so caught up in their own self satisfaction that they forgot about reality?

THC123

Veteran
Than we were transitioned to another department run by a first generation chinese woman who is, in no uncertain terms a bitch. Since than I have seen my workload quadrupled, I still roll in at eight, but now frequently am in work till 530 or six. This is a workday that includes no coffee breaks, working through lunch, etc...it does not end at 530 either, I frequently am working till nine or so at night.

lol look for antother job ey?

it sucks but you dont have to stay there , if you want the money , well thats another thing

is working through breaks even legal? dont you guys have unions over there?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
ive watched my industry expand and shrink several times and this is what you do in lean times

having to work more for less is never a great thing but if your going to be aggravated by it your the only one who's going to suffer

but remember its merely inconvenience and not true hardship

turn it into a positive in your mind, there is one if your willing to find it

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
one of the biggest failures of the business and its employees is failure to adapt to change

most ppl get comfortable and resist it

there is nothing in the natural world that is static, why should the business world be different

mtbazz

Oh please..

Overpaid: Not. Ive been in this industry for almost 15 years. The work I am doing now is in reality what until 2-3 years ago was the work of 2-3 full time employees.

Also, I basically grew up almost in poverty, and went on to spend 6 years in college working my ass off earning an MS in biochem, while working 20-30 hours a week at the same time. No one but me paid a dime for my education either, so I don't want to hear jack about being "privileged" or what not

As for your comment on debt and foreclosure, the cold hard truth is that is in many (not all) cases the fault of their individuals..they were more than likely living beyond their means and paid for it.

Anyway, your really missing the point of what I started this thread for...a healthy bitch session open to all.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Oh please..

Overpaid: Not. Ive been in this industry for almost 15 years. The work I am doing now is in reality what until 2-3 years ago was the work of 2-3 full time employees.

Also, I basically grew up almost in poverty, and went on to spend 6 years in college working my ass off earning an MS in biochem, while working 20-30 hours a week at the same time. No one but me paid a dime for my education either, so I don't want to hear jack about being "privileged" or what not

As for your comment on debt and foreclosure, the cold hard truth is that is in many (not all) cases the fault of their individuals..they were more than likely living beyond their means and paid for it.

umm last time I checked your value is relative to that businesses ledger and management

if you need to up the anti to keep your position you were overpaid

the fact that you didn't see the transformation in the business cycle according to your liogic is exclusively your liabilty as is the loss of jobs in industries that went insolvent

what part of your industry do you see remaining static considering the current advances in technology

same shifts occurred in the tech industry when they started outsourcing either you adapted or you changed markets

THC123

Veteran
there is nothing in the natural world that is static, why should the business world be different

cuz there are union and people have rights , well maybe not in the us , but where i live people still have rights

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
cuz there are union and people have rights , well maybe not in the us , but where i live people still have rights

lol yeah so do corporations, more than the individual, because in good times everyone was pretty content so no one cared, they employee lobbies to propose legislature which subsequently become laws

now corporate lobbies influence the government to protect their interests and have done so for some time

corporate laws will only enable technical innovations not humanistic rights

the business world adheres to the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, basically the paradigm we created the constitution to protect against, and this is a reflection of everyone who is part of those businesses

im a huge proponent of small business because it protects our economy from extremes like this

take your skills to the street, add some value and sell em direct and know what your worth without big corporate employment and you woudl have a relative contrast to value

not everyone has that capacity but this does not mitigate its value

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
uh ohhh
the bleeding hearts and artists will soon be here for their field day.

how dare you suggest those people who signed those contracts explaining how far their a.r.m. could extend are responsible for their own mistakes!!!

and how dare you make money?!?!?

fascist

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
lol no on is begrudging salary or education but lets make something clear

he never had to get granular about his position, salary or industry, if he wanted a general bitch sesh and got real detailed, at his level of education and employment i dont think hes that ignorant to expect anything but a RELATIVE response

on top of it many legitimate necessary and educated sectors like the public sector, where teachers (layoffs and salary concessions) are being pressed hard due to the economy (and they have big unions)

relative to many things going on for many people in like circumstances, with he details given it is exactly what the title of the thread says

WHINE session .. hes still got it good

my logic is the pacifier so suck it up

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
in the past when I have seen eh same thing happen in other industries like aerospace or tech, if this is the current trend it may not get any better so either make a focused effort to solidify your position which may continue to experience diminishing returns or find greener pastures

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
First: "I love my job" It's got it's points, but anything does. I focus on the perks. What are the perks of your job?

Second: A friend of mine works for an advertising company. The previous company she worked for, got bought 4 times over the past 5 years. Every time employees got laid off, and every time she was glad she was not on that list. Her work load kept getting larger. She was just grateful to have a job. Now she works for another company. The hours are long. Frequently from 8 AM - 7:30 PM. The pay is the same. She is just grateful to have work. If she puts in a year here, she should be able to get a job at the firm of her choice. Apparently where she's working now is notorious for grinding people down, so people are impressed if you manage to last there.

The days of "Rolling" into work and getting paid are over. If you don't like your field then change it up. Every day more and more people around the world are graduating with more and more degrees. In fact a college degree is one of the most overpriced and overvalued assets in the world right now. Schools need to come down on their prices. With an MS in BioChem, you should be able to find work somewhere else.

In closing. As Wu Tang said "Diversify your bonds" :)

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
alright mtbazz, I know where your coming from. I've had a few jobs like that, where they consistently ask for more and more of you but offer no more pay. Sometimes they would even "promote me", which would give me many new responsibilities with an insulting increase in pay. I worked for a guy once and did all the leg work for his own business, and his daughter did all the paperwork. He could play golf every day if he wanted to. I asked for a raise from 11.25/hr to whatever, he said no, I found a new job. A year later he was begging me to come back.

Don't have too much to complain about my current job as it affords me so much time off, its as if I have no job at all most of the time, but I doesn't pay a lot either, just enough to get by.

I

In~Plain~Site

People eat shit for a whole lot less.I went through the same crap, on the corporate side in the...*gasp*...banking industry.

Not even a 100k bonus check(for writing 35mm)made the shit taste any sweeter.

When it's time to change,you've got to rearrange

Sha na na na, na na na na na, sha na na na na :dance013:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
if i was making 100k a year i would roll in at 8 and leave at 530-6 no problem. staying til 9 wouldn't be that difficult either. put your head down a do your damn job. i'll bet while the job is demanding it provides a good life for you and it sounds like you have the things you need. that's what really matters. it could be A LOT worse.

i worked under chefs making hourly and pulling 16-18 hour days on my feet in a kitchen. you think some Chinese bitch is bad try working for some of these restaurant owners/chefs! Gordan Ramsey is actually a good representation for some of the people I have worked for in kitchens. VERY demanding people and if you aren't on your game you'll get your ass chewed quick. still couldn't complain much (other than the pay) because i love cooking and that's what it took.
these days im out of the kitchen. work for food reps after my injury this past year. can't complain about the job. significantly easier and higher paying than anything i have ever done. my body can't take physical labor no more :(

ijim

Corporations are constantly changing today to keep production competitive and maximize stock value. The tech changes your company has made is to keep competitive. Tripling your work load is to keep overhead low and stock value high. When you reach the top of the pay scale for your position you will be able to get some rest while someone on a lower pay scale replaces you. Corporate value rules.