What's new

Where to retire in USA?

TerryT

High everyone,

I am looking to retire in a couple of years and I am looking for a medical marijuana friendly place. I live in the deep south now and I am looking for a change. I am in good health but my wife has MS. Some things that are important to us. Weather: she feels much better in a climate without extreme hot, cold and humidity. Also she needs access to good medical care. Cost of living: some place that we can afford to live. I don't mind renting but the wife wants to buy a place. Community: a place that has a friendly MM community.

We both really like San Diego but it seems like an expensive place to live. I will be there in a couple of weeks so if there are any locals on the board I would like to talk.

I am also open to other places like maybe Norcal or Oregon. Colorado is beautiful but too cold for her. Any suggestions or other resources to check out would be appreciated.

High TerryT,:dance013: The Norcal Sierra Foothills at around 2000' elevation have a nice 4 season climate, above the fog and below the snow as the saying goes.
Look for the transition zone where the lower digger pine and scrub oak give over to ponderosa pines and black oaks. It's a pot friendly area:jump:

At www.weatherbase.com you can select a state and enter your climate preferences, you will get a list of towns and their climate history. :tiphat:

TerryT

Frijol: Thanks for the link. I did as you suggested and received quite a long list of cities in Ca. Since I am unfamiliar with the area, what are some cities you would suggest?

Abb4Zaba

Oregon's Willamette Valley may fit your needs, Terry. I live in Salem, and temps are pretty stable here. Portland and Eugene tend to have weather very similar to Salem. Despite what you may believe, we do not all have webbed feet from "constant" rainfall. Cost of living may be higher than you're used to, though. I have seen some really nice Southern houses on HGTV that are dirt cheap by Oregonian standards.

TerryT

Abb: I do really like Oregon. It is so beautiful there. I will check the cost of living calculator and see how it compares to Alabama. Do they have dispensaries like CA?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Florida.. lol (sorry, not sure if its medi. but couldnt resist)

Head out to Cali man!

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Congrats.

Congrats.

I would have said Hawai'i until you mentioned good medical care.
That, we no got.
Stanford Ca. is a great place to retire.
I li'l pricey, but the climate is great and medical care is top-notch.

Aloha,
Weezard

supermanlives

Veteran
fuck florida. its not pot friendly. them assholes will take your car for buying a dimebag. so cal aint so bad price wise i find it middle of the road price wise

whodair

Veteran
i'd take a nice little shotgun house in new orleans garden district...plenty of room in lousiana for some outdoor too. !!

ive never lived in a place where grass is legal, but where theres a will theres a way !!

TerryT

Thanks for the suggestions. Florida and New Orleans are out way too hot and humid for the wife and not medical marijuana states. I really like Hawaii but the wife liked the visit but doesn't want live there. Seems like Cali or Oregon so far.

M

Merrywanna

If your looking to retire in a couple of years wait till then and decide. The legalization wave is just starting and will roll so fast. I second the Willamette valley, not to hot, not to cold. A fair share of rain though.

crazybear

i'd take a nice little shotgun house in new orleans garden district...plenty of room in Louisiana for some outdoor too. !!

ive never lived in a place where grass is legal, but where theres a will theres a way !!

Check lousiania laws on growing in the state on normal web site, plus how much of a police state it is, also near the highest insurance rates, + good health care ha ha that's funny. Where are you going to grow outdoor?:plant grow:

TerryT

Weezard, Which island do you live on?

I just got back from Maui and had a great time. The weather was great for my wife's MS and it was much less crowded and more scenic than Oahu. We are seriously considering retiring in Maui. Cost of living and the quality of medical care will certainly be considerations. I know Hawaii has MM but no dispensaries. Looks like a lengthy process to get a card.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Congratulations! T...my sympathies for your wifes condition though too.
Oregon is pot friendly, but a bit colder than i thought, too the humidity is quite high.
Given Arizona any thought?...low humidity, warm clime, just passed mmj legislation.

Good luck. Oh and may I suggest growing your meds; its much more likely you will have the time to learn the hows and whys.