What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do my buds lose their stickiness after jarring?

pheed

Anybody else get this? My buds are super sticky and fragrant when trimming, but after just 24 hours sealed, they're much less fragrant and no stickiness whatsoever. What's going on here?

I take it you are trimming them off the stems when dry? If so you may be sealing them with too much moisture initially. If they are not at optimal dryness when sealed they can lose smell after sweating. I check my buds several times a day initially and usually have to take them out for further drying at least once or twice.

Also, a slightly damp bud will always feel stickier, and the resin seems to harden somewhat and crystallize over time when storing anyway.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Too dry when going into the jar. Generally when jarring you need to burp the jars daily to prevent mold.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
a friend recently screwed up a whole harvest like this, he took the buds off the drying nets and packed them too early, then didnt check on them regularly and 2 days later they smelled like shit, even after drying to finish they never regained their full taste and smell profile.

the buds can seem dry on the outside, but as son as you pack them the moisture still inside comes out and if it can't breathe it off it ruins the buds smell and taste wise.

i would add that once buds are dry properly they really are no longer that sticky, depends on strain too of course. but well dried and cured bud is never as sticky as wet fresh buds.

Your buds will never smell the same during or after drying as they do on the plant. As they cure some terps become more pronounced while some seem to almost vanish. Get used to it :tiphat:

wasgedn

leave jar open for the first...outside must be really dry but long before stems crack ..
often i putthem in the jar and then back on dry net too ,after they got saturated by rest moisture from inside...
or just leave it open and put a flies or towel or something over it against dust...i often place them just in round bout 90° so no dust can get in, when you cant look at it daily...
but having some restmoisture maybe, better fermenting...so best is daily processing on early stage...

other technique
try out some vacuum bags after first dry stage ... when having device ,just a bit to test.......but it should work well....soft vacuum...not to hard..
more harder more cob cure i guess..

Easy7

Veteran
Open jars for gas exchange for first 30 days of cure daily for 15 or 20 minutes. After that it's all good to let them stay sealed.

Might still make great dry sift.

ULMW

After 50% humidity has gone from bud they will not cure. Hence the medical community Boveda 62% Use that as a guide. Aim to get 70 to 62% dried when placing into the jars for ciring and burp them daily. Rotate the product and give them time to cure according to strain and varietal. Sativas needing the 2month cure. Indicas often are pleasing at the one month stage. I find after chopping and a brief drying of cpls days I then put the buds into a brown bag to sweat and keep the moistyre even . Cpl days later. Jars & Boveda 62% pack and then just daily checks for a week or two. Rotate the buds during those initial weeks then leave to cure and check maybe once a week.
Happy growing and harvesting. Enjoy the curing!

THC123

Veteran
Your buds will never smell the same during or after drying as they do on the plant. As they cure some terps become more pronounced while some seem to almost vanish. Get used to it :tiphat:

This is only the case with classical jar curing, there are ways to preserve the initial fresh smell and keep it for years and years. To keep the initial smell during drying, dry them unmanicured so the original smell doesnt go away.

That is also why I never glass jar cure my whole harvest. Every processing method gives a totally different result and I use different methods to get different qualities from the same batch of weed, just to have variation.

If you want more fresh smells (like on the plant) vac sealing in mylar (without a glass jar cure) or freezing freshly dried herb or a combination of both will give you this result.

Freezing freshly dried herb without curing is only possible with cannabis grown in living soil or grown with a reallll good flush or else it will be harsh. But this method really captures the fresh smells. Only downside is that you have to freeze it at exactly the right point(so lots of testing prior to storing).

To make the method safer you can first let the herb cure in a vacuum for 2-4 weeks and then freeze. Also this way you will get fresh smells, but not as fresh as freezing the herb without a cure.

I find these methods especially superior for vaping cannabis as I really don't like vaping glass jar cured weed. For smoking the glass jars are nice though but for vaping I need loud fresh terpenes (monoterpenes epecially) to make the experience as tasty and smooth as possible.

Go ROLS. Those resinous substances are supposed to be building up to a high Brix count. With hydro, they vanish as quick as they come. Cut the plant, and the "cake frosting" depletes immediately. They dont stockpile. As soon as the moistures gone they turn to dust. Airbud.

Took me a long time to figure out what was wrong with retail pot. The answer is that simple. Steroid bud. The trend of feeding plants instead of soil needs to go away. The cell structure is completely different from the natural product, weak and disease prone to boot.

Most hydro growers think moisture is "sticky" weight. But organic buds don't lose nearly as much weight through cure... The whole concept of over hydrating weed to create the illusion of that "cake frosting" fullness, is silly.

Notice I didn't bother asking how you grow. Thats how positive I am that this is the issue. You cant get the thick resins that hold the smell, growing with Miracle-Gro. People are chasing their tails with this hydro shit. Anyone who abandons it never looks back.

Go ROLS. Those resinous substances are supposed to be building up to a high Brix count. With hydro, they vanish as quick as they come. Cut the plant, and the "cake frosting" depletes immediately. They dont stockpile. As soon as the moistures gone they turn to dust. Airbud.
What a load of bollocks! Once a trichome is formed nothing short of chemical or mechanical removal will make it "vanish" or disappear.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
SoulAnnoyed, from your post I can tell you've never had truly cleanly done hydro. I've seen it many times before, and I feel sorry for people subjected to crappy hydro. What you say is pretty accurate for 99% of hydro grown cannabis. It's completely untrue for any superior grown cannabis, organic or hydro doesn't matter.

I pull out one gram of my "hydro" cannabis and it overpowers every smell in "Organic" dispensaries.

Yes, I'm trying to teach more people how to do this. ;)

OP: Trim wet, hang dry in 65F at 55'ish RH. When you can feel and hear a small "Crack" when you pull a bud off the stem, they're ready for jarring. Once jarred, moisture from the inner part of the stem and flower will even out, re-hydrating the slightly crispy outside flower. Check every few hours at first, until you get a feel for when they need to be opened.

A $5-10 digital hygrometer comes in very handy. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts