What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poormans Rosin Press

...I am thinking of making bubble hash, dissolving in everclear. I would then filter this through a coffee filter then winterize as per you description. Any thoughts?

I'm not an expert on bubble hash, sorry, but from what I do know, using any form of chemical extraction is anathema to the whole process.
...for those who can only get 160 proof (80% ETOH with 20% h2O) any thoughts on how to reduce the water content?

You can purchase commercial ethanol 190 on the web for non-drinking use and have it shipped to Florida if higher proof ethanol is not sold there. Ethanol Extraction is one company making this product. You can also distill 160 proof to produce 190 or even 200 proof 100% pure ethanol.

Last edited:

BudToaster

Veteran
love your thread, thanks!

i have been trying to come to grips with this topic for sometime. and i have some questions:

What is the point of using a polar solvent, i.e. everclear, to winterize since lipids require a non-polar solvent?

it seems that using an everclear extraction from the start will extract less lipids, but more of the other unneeded plant components. the heat squish will melt the lipids, so they will be in the squish rosin, no? then, the everclear liberates the thc while not including the lipids (plant waxes), using the syringe filter to strain out the thc.

is this correct?

but for the everclear extraction, i can't figure out how the everclear gets at the thc, which is locked inside the trichomes - which i assume are wax, i.e. lipid.

What is the point of using a polar solvent, i.e. everclear, to winterize since lipids require a non-polar solvent?

This should explain it for you, I'm not a chemist.

https://www.quora.com/Is-ethanol-polar-or-nonpolar-and-why

... I can't figure out how the everclear gets at the thc, which is locked inside the trichomes - which i assume are wax, i.e. lipid.

Sorry. Do not understand the question.

I suggest you try this for yourself. Then come back and we can compare notes. What you ended up with vs what I got. Compare vaping using this winterizing method vs no winterization at all.

BudToaster

Veteran
yeah, i kind of do the winterizing but without the syringe filter ... i decarboxylate, then do an everclear extraction, then let the ethanol evaporate at room temperature ... but i think the extract has a lot of wax in it - dark and sticky and nasty tasting ... i guess if i froze the syringe and then strain using the filter, THEN do the evaporation phase, the filter would remove the undesirables.

i really like your press - clean and simple ... and cheap.

... I kind of do the winterizing but without the syringe filter ...

You need to do the 24 hour freeze and use the syringe filter to separate and remove the garbage. The clarity afterwards will become obvious with the nasties remaining behind that filter in the syringe.

I show a photo of what remains. We can debate what's in there until the cows come home, but in the end, it's not anything anyone needs to be inhaling day after day, IMHO.

Last edited:

BudToaster

Veteran
You need to do the 24 hour freeze and use the syringe filter to separate and remove the garbage. The clarity afterwards will become obvious with the nasties remaining behind that filter in the syringe.

I show a photo of what remains. We can debate what's in there until the cows come home, but in the end, it's not anything anyone needs to be inhaling day after day, IMHO.

i totally agree ... i definitely want to get rid of the crap.

okay, so i think i understand ... there are two extraction techniques of interest to me: (1) ethanol wash (QWET), (2) rosin press (RP).

So the QWET extracts some chlorophyll, while the RP extracts some lipids/waxes. the cholorophyll is difficult to get out of the QWET, but the rosin can be dissolved in ethanol (much less needed than for QWET) and the waxes can be solidified with cold and strained out of the dissolved rosin and the little bit of ethanol is then evaporated off ... leaving behind a very clean thc substance.

going to try this after the next bud fairy visit.

i totally agree ... I definitely want to get rid of the crap...the rosin can be dissolved in ethanol and the waxes can be solidified with cold and strained out of the dissolved rosin and the little bit of ethanol is then evaporated off ... leaving behind a very clean thc substance.

This is basically what's happening, yes.

I make my rosin using the little press as opposed to doing a wash because I produce just enough for my immediate needs. I'm still working on the 1 ml of concentrate I created on Jan. 26th and I vape most every night. It goes a long way, being so thick and pure.

Chlorophyll can be avoided in the pressing in two ways, I've discovered.

By using recently harvested flower you will get more rosin and a cleaner rosin that first press. Very golden without any obvious plant matter... green specs.

Second, by not reusing the pancake from that pressing you will end up with a cleaner product with really no chlorophyll at all. It's a bit if a trade off... quantity vs quality. Again, for personal consumption, I prefer the latter.

Last edited:
My Medicine Cabinet

I grow a single plant "stealth" is a small, steel cabinet I have modified for this purpose. This gives me complete control over a number of variables like temperature and humidity. So far, it has also eliminated any fungal contamination or infiltration of pests. I try to grow as organic as possible. I use no pesticides. The only nutrients I use are what comes in the Fox Farm Ocean Harvest soil mix together with the bat guano and the clam shell calcium I mix in. I put a hand full of bone meal on the top, one time. From then on I only water using what I source from a natural spring in town.

image.jpg

There is a small fan inside that gently circulates the air and a muffin fan at the top that draws fresh air in from three screened ports at the bottom and out the top through a charcoal filter.

I use three compact fluorescent lamps as my only light source. These CFL's are much under appreciated of late what with all the new, fancy LED systems on the market. The lamps I use are of a higher output than what you find at the home improvement stores, though. These are rated for 250 watts each (4000 lumens) but only draw 65 watts from the 110v outlet. You can find them at the online commercial lamp suppliers for around $18 each. It costs me about $20/month to run my cabinet. I harvest every three months. So far, I have averaged around 60 grams of dried flower.

image.jpg

Since I grow autos, I use 6500 degree "daylight" bulbs for the entire grow. No need to swap them out for the warmer lamps when it comes time for the flowering stage. It really cannot get any easier than this.

Life, at this stage, is just too short to spend all day fussing with what is basically just a weed, after all. Put the seed in the right soil blend, water it once in a while and just leave it alone. It will take care of itself.

Did another round of pressing yesterday. Sill working with my harvest from a bit over a month ago, so relatively recent flower.

By accident, I had the temperature set too low. I adjust the voltage to my heater plates using a an autotransformer and I have a marking on the dial that will give me around 180 degrees F. The dial got rotated a bit so it was putting out less current to the plates for the first few pressings. So my press was only running at around 140 degrees F.

This turned out to be an interesting development, though. Instead of getting a rather smooth flowing sticky oil I ended up with a sort of butterscotch colored waxy paste substance. Very dry and easy to scrape from the parchment paper.

Not sure if this is a good thing or what. Still need to do some more experimentation. I did add this to my final rosin collection for processing into concentrate.

Concentrates in an Hour:

Have this very cool idea for a nitch cannabis business. Making custom vape concentrates for customers. Basically, you'd have a small workstation set up inside an exhisting cannabis store. There would be a rosin press on the counter along with the tools, warming vibrator plate, collection tubes and syringes needed to make the end product. I'm working on a method to flash-freeze the ethanol solution to speed up the separation and winterizing process.

So, the way this works is, a customer comes into the store and picks some fresh flower she wants made into a vape cartridge. She pays for the flower and for the concentrate service and is told to return in about an hour. The concentrate concierge then goes to work creating a pure custom vape cartridge for her.

This could be a definite money maker. Either the store sets this workstation up or someone offers to run it for the store and split the profits.

An alternative arrangement would have the workstation operator rent the space inside the store. Kind of like an expresso kiosk inside a shopping mall.

It would set that cannabis store apart from the rest and draw more customers in if only to watch the concentrate concierge do his/her thing.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Testing the Liberty V9 cartridge

My sample Liberty V9 "510 thread-style" cartridge arrived the other day. Truly a work art, IMHO. You really have to hand it to the Chinese. The quality of the design and superb execution is second to none. How they are able to sell these so inexpensively is truly amazing. The V9 is just the latest in a long line of vape cartridges from Itsuwa. Designed for use with thicker oils, they blow the doors off the cheaper plastic carts.

View Image

What you notice at first glance is the all metal construction and Pyrex glass chamber. The center post, removed be unscrewing the mouthpiece, gives you clear access for easy filling. A marking, etched on the glass, indicates the exact amount to add. Replacing the post, which houses the vertical ceramic coil... there is no wick... and you will have loaded exactly .5 grams in concentrate.

Just under the mouthpiece is a ring for adjusting air flow mixture. Turning it one way or the other gives you closed, two, four or six air ports. This allows external air to be mixed with the vapor.

My first try with the V9, running my pure concentrate, proved an eye opener. All I can say is, WOW! The difference is striking. The reason being those tiny little 1mm holes. They allow you to draw in air from the outside as you draw in the vapor. What that does is give you a stronger hit of vapor... way stronger.

Now, I'm not a major user by any means. I work a full time job so I can only vape in the evening after all has settled down. I usually need around four or five draws on my pen to get me relaxed and mildly stoned. In other words, I can still function. Not drive a car, but get around the house without falling on my face. That's where I want to be.

Last night was way different. With all the vents open and taking only two draws from the V9 I knew I was in for a wild ride. I could tell the vapor had gone much deeper into my lungs than anytime in the past. That additional air helped to push the vapor further and faster... like a jet engine. In no time I was flying high and my head spinning. It was a bit disconcerting. I prefer to have a better handle on my faculties, but it was fun. I stopped vaping at that point.

I will need to play with those vents and find a happy medium. I do like the V9 though. Much easier to draw from and very cool looking.

Kudos on the recommendation for this cart. I have had mine for about a week or so and it's by far the best one I own (of maybe 8 or 10 different models).

The adjustable airway actually works.

And, filling it is ..... well, no syringe required. The way the center comes out, I could pour out of a boot and not spill a drop.

The round mouth piece makes sure that "the button is always lined up right".

You may be crazy enough to put that alcohol shit in your rosin and call it clean, but you sure have an eye for a good cart. LOL

Thanks for the tip.

Love ya bud, don't hate me. :)

Poormans Short Path Distillation:

At some point in your concentrate making career you will have the need to ramp up your distillation capacity. I've built several Poormans distillers over the years but my latest configuration, pictured here, works the best, so figured I'd share it.

image.jpg

Distillation, as you know, is the process of separating a solution into its component parts, called fractions, based on heat. The idea being the lighter weight molecules will rise and leave the solution as steam at a lower temperature than the heavier molecules.

The basic components consist is a vessel to hold the charge solution to be heated and separated, the heating device called a mantel, the cooling tube and the collection vessel. More elaborate systems will have a chiller casing around the cooling tube to keep it cold and, perhaps, a vacuum ability. For our needs, these can be eliminated.

The system here consists of a simple rice cooker to act as the heating mantel, a Pyrex heat resistant coffee carafe for the heating vessel, a rubber stopper fitted to the carafe opening and a section of 1/4" copper tubing as the cooling tube. I used a liquor bottle as the collection vessel. Both the rice cooker and the carafe I sourced from Goodwill for around $16. The stopper I found on Ebay for $5. The cooper tubing from the hardware store.

I fill the rice cooker with glycerol to act as a heat transfer agent between the cooker and the carafe. The heat can be regulated using an autotransformer, not shown.

Right now, using this in my garage, the ambient temperature is so low it is not necessary to cool the collection vessel. If the temperature is above, say, 50 degrees F where you are distilling it is advisable to set the collection vessel in a bowl of ice water. This will act as a catalyst to "draw" the heated vapors over from the charge vessel that much faster.

Last edited:
Triple voltage battery - vs - single voltage:

The vape pen I received from my medical dispensary last year had only one power setting or voltage. That being 3.5v. It works fine, but I had heard there were pen batteries that offered multiple voltage settings. I purchased one and have been testing it for a few weeks now and I really like it.

image.jpg

The three voltage settings: Green = 2.6v, Blue = 3.3v, Red = 3.94v. You change them by clicking the button three times.

I especially like that I can reduce the voltage down to the lowest setting of 2.6v and still get a usable if, albeit, somewhat milder hit from my concentrate. I also find the taste to be a bit better. This softer hit has allowed me to take a single puff during a stressful day and not become overly high. The lower setting also seems to conserve the concentrate, which helps me, too.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Search for 510 batteries with the term "spinner" or "twist" or "adjustable".

I have a couple nice ones that are slide adjustable from 3.3 volts to 4.8. This way I am able to get JUST the right temp for a decent cloud without that burnt or "hot throat" effect. Most of them have a little "spinner" knob on the bottom to adjust the voltage.

I also just got a real cool "folding" 510 that is great for pants pocket travel. The pen folds in half and fits nice into a standard pocket. This one also has 3 set temps like yours (adjusted by clicking 3 times also). Here's a pic.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Latest posts