What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE ULTIMATE PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL HASH PRESS FOR UNDER 20 BUCKS !!

stretchpup

Thanks Pipedream. Picked one up and it's fun to play with.

I've a question for ya'll.

I use the Gypsy Nirvana stash box with two screens.

I'm pressing 1gram blocks from both screens, and have tried using a little heat (top of the cable box) and some without, and even mixing the two grades of kif.

No matter what I do all my discs crumble from either screen size.

Am I applying too much pressure?

G

You should try the double boiler method. Put a pyrex bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. Do not let the inside of the bowl get wet. Remove the the pot with bowl off the heat after the bowl is nice and warm hot. Add your kief and and it will start sticking together. Mash it up and ball it up. The more you rub the more oil is left on the bowl. Your kief should be nice and formed into hash. Do the lighter test. If you had good kief then your ball will bubble quick. After the pyrex cools, take a razor blade and srape of the oil. It wont be alot. I got two nice bowls of oil from 5grams of powderized bubble. This method makes your shake look and smoke great! :sasmokin:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
stretchpup said:

I'm pressing 1gram blocks from both screens, and have tried using a little heat (top of the cable box) and some without, and even mixing the two grades of kif.

Sounds like there's too much non resinous material in there so it could be from pressing too hard, then again it could also be what you're using to clean with. Those stash boxes with screeners are nice for helping to seperate seeds and stems from the stuff you want to smoke, but their screens are usually too big for good hash making. You should be using a 110 mesh silk screen which, to give you an idea, that mesh is so fine that when looking thru the screen you can't see thru it. Stash boxes with screens, grinders with screens, they're really not meant to use for hash.

Now it may be that you are working it thru the screen too agressively and if so then easing up should reduce the amount of plant matter getting in there and that should help to make it stick together better. Also setting the press with the hash in it on top of a cable box is not really heating it much. You should try something like a hairdryer as suggested/recommended by the thread starter.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
I've pressed some fairly rough plant matter into pucks with no problem. Even finely ground premium buds hold together fine. There must be a good amount of resin for it to work, and heat is needed. If all else fails, add a bit of ISO alcohol to the mix. It will help to disolve the resin and evenly distribute it in your puck. Afterwards, just let the finished puck sit in an open container for a day or so and all of the ISO will evaporatefrom it.

Last edited:

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Thats awesome. I am definitely looking into finding one of these for use with my bubble hash.

I tend to disagree with you though Pipedream on the subject of adding ISO or oil of any foreign source. This is to my mind adulterating the product. Honey oil or hash oil on the other hand I think might be interesting.

- Ez

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
HempKat said:
You should be using a 110 mesh silk screen which, to give you an idea, that mesh is so fine that when looking thru the screen you can't see thru it.

Sorry i have to disagree cuz that's just wrong. 110 is the larger size screen and really the largest size screen you can use to get a decent product without too much contamination and francly you can see through it. Not clear as day but you can see through it. Below 110 such as 125 lpi, 140 lpi, 200 lpi is a different story. 200 lpi you cannot see through it at all.

Pipedream

Veteran
- ezra - said:
I tend to disagree...on the subject of adding ISO or oil of any foreign source. This is to my mind adulterating the product. Honey oil or hash oil on the other hand I think might be interesting.

- Ez

ezra - Just curious, how would you produce the Honey or Hash Oil without using ISO, Butane, or some other solvent to seperate it from the remaining solid plant material?

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
haha, good point.

you can make hash oil using certain solvents which are essentially 100% evaporated, now I am not an expert on oil, but some solvents are better than others. ISO I am not sure about. You would have to get the pharmaceutical grade one for sure. Butane can be nasty, but there are certain pure sources which evaporate close to 100%. Acetone is nasty, and Methanol is also not recommended. Pure ethanol is one of the better choices as I have been lead to believe.

If you add ISO to your hash/kieff just before pressing it, its not going to evaporate because its being pressed into the hash and sealed in. Therefore there will be nasty isopropanol in the stuff when you smoke it. Similarly olive oil or any vegetable oil is going to release a thick vapour as it burns. Its not advisable IMO. But, each to their own, I guess I am more of a purist when it comes to smoke. You know its gotta be all organic with WCs and all that. ha.

thanks for sharing this clay extruder idea, Pipedream. Here are some shots of the Maroc I will be making bubble with shortly and hopefully pressing with an extruder.

10160Maroc_-PB050008_3_-med.jpg
10160Maroc_-PB050008_4_-med.jpg

Pipedream

Veteran
EZ - those ARE some fine looking buds! Almost a shame to destroy them, even for hash. I'm thinking that one of the best solvents would likely be one made for human consumption. If I need one next time around, I think I'll try Everclear. I've used it for years to clean out pipes, bongs, and the like. I don't think you can really press the hash's surface hard enough to fully seal off all of the pores that are formed. As such, I'm willing to bet that given a while a fairly pure solvent will evaporate. Hell, given enough time and a bit of pressure almost any gas will pass thru a membrane of even surgical rubber, much like water thru a reverse osmosis filter. Just the laws of physics, there's always space between the molicules.

HempKat

Veteran
Chiefsmokingbud said:
Sorry i have to disagree cuz that's just wrong. 110 is the larger size screen and really the largest size screen you can use to get a decent product without too much contamination and francly you can see through it. Not clear as day but you can see through it. Below 110 such as 125 lpi, 140 lpi, 200 lpi is a different story. 200 lpi you cannot see through it at all.

Well I meant that you couldn't see thru it clearly, whereas with the screens you find in boxes and grinders usually you can as it's more like looking thru a window screen although it is a finer mesh then the typical window screen.

I also didn't go into finer mesh because frankly if a person is using something like a stash box with screens or a grinder to make hash then they're likely more concerned with getting as much resin as possible with minimal contamination then they are about purity by itself and would likely be delighted with what they get from 110. Plus, it's easier to find and cheaper. At least based on what I found when looking. A true hash lover on the other hand will be more concerned with purity and likely will not be using either grinders or screens as it seems to me the majority of hash fanatics seem to prefer bubblebags.

sugabear_II

Veteran
stretchpup said:

more heat is required. I actually use an electric burner turned to med-hi I take the end of the extruder and rotate it and move it around quite a bit over the hot burner for a minute or two, repeating the turn 1/8 turn thing. I try to get it hot enough that I can't hold onto the other end for very long. If you do this it will stick together and seal nicely. There is a certain point in the heating process where it just tightens down a bit more - it's weird - it just hits this point and you'll feel less resistance when you do your 1/8 turn - that's when I know it's had enough heat - then wait for a while till you try and release.

-suga

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Pipedream - hmmm... well heres the way I look at it, ok so it will potentially evaporate very, very, slowly from the pressed hash, but in order for there to be sufficient air flow to facilitate total or near total evaporation in this scenario, you would need to completely expose the hash to the air. The oxidative effects of exposing the hash to the air for a long period of time would reduce its quality. Just my way of looking at it.

HempKat - yea man, the bubble bags are great. I have the 7 bag kit and damn you can get some very pure stuff. You can actually press it just with your fingers its so pure. I cant wait to do a couple of runs now.

Pipedream

Veteran
:rasta:

Hey Guys and Gals,

We need some more "Puck Pic's" from some of the new pressers.
Especially since we can't be there to test your end product.
Let us enjoy it too.

HempKat

Veteran
Pipedream said:
:rasta:

Hey Guys and Gals,

We need some more "Puck Pic's" from some of the new pressers.
Especially since we can't be there to test your end product.
Let us enjoy it too.

Send me some resin and I'll be more then happy to oblige :D

johnboi2006

Man I gotta tellya, this thing is COOL! I just picked one up at Micheal's,$30 for it.
I just pressed sifted kief, crushed WHOLE BUDS , I even pressed some iso hash that was drying. I used a propane torch with a super low flame and heated it carefully not to melt the rubber ring inside the press. A bunch of slow heats and low turns of the crank and PRESTO!!!

This press is amaing. Practically everything I put in it comes out looking like opium or black hash if heated enough. I am going to press out a bunch of my stash into these cool little "dimes".

Last edited:
N

niggan8

;] this thing is awesome i just picked one up and made my kif into a puck !!!! and its like SUPER HASH... go take a knife rip of one of these!

yeah i just broke it... righteous

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
Couldn't quite oblige you earlier as my material to work with wasn't quite ready. Anyway here's 16 grams dry sifted and then pressed, from the trim of 8 plants. Three of a home-made cross of a Master Kush Female with Northernberry pollen. I call it Northern Kush or NK for short. Not a great cross but it's not bad either. Anyway the three pucks on the left are about 6 grams I got off it or about 2 grams a plant. The other 5 pucks are from the other 5 plants which has a homemade strain from a friend called Hellfire. Which is a cross of an afghani male with a blueberry female from DJ Short I believe. Each puck is about 2 grams (the scale isn't precision) so again about 2 grams per plant. I could have gotten a bit more of each but it would be low grade so I left that to maybe make some butter with it and what's left after I do a run of hash from the G13 X Burmese I also grew, that should easily net me twice as much hash.

Anyway thanks to my cheap hash press solution I got from you it's all going to store so much nicer and be so much easier to work with. So thanks again Pipedream :yes:

9652HFNKHash.JPG

lotusfalls

i found a couple on eBay for around $8.00 total!! hell yes. thank you so much for the idea.

i wonder what would happen if you pressed bubble hash in this?
or better yet, why not budder(the stuff from Canada that's ultra-potent)?