What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a website like this one?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Do a search for "LAMP"

It stands for Linux Apache MySQL PHP server.

It's a snap to set up.

Also look into using Google resources like "google charts"

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
What I did..

What I did..

I had my own Linux Web server which made it easy. (Was able to debug all of my learning problems)

When I put it into production I put it on a hosted LAMP website server.

I hope you have fun. :dance013:

RB56

Veteran
When I started using PHP/MySQL for websites I bought a tutorial book which showed how to integrate two.

It helped a lot. Once you get used to it, it's as easy as "C"..Hehe

Good Luck :woohoo:

Just recycled my last printed programming books. O'Reilly! Google made that process feel pretty slow and stupid :)

RB56

Veteran
I am making a database based website, where people can store info and search and retrieve info

My original idea was to use dreamwraver with C# ASP.NET
I was told against it because apparently not all servers support it. Where’s php is widely accepted.

I know little about php but I did lots of database and sql stuff in uni. I actually bought a book on php a week ago and it’s supposed to be released and arrive next week!!

So yea, hopefully I can make it! Oh and big thank you to all who replied!!

If you have any programming background at all, PHP is a breeze. Maybe look at one of the frameworks like Drupal or Magento that are built for the LAMP stack and abstract it to a higher level interface. When I used to write code for a living, I maintained my own libraries. Much easier now to let other people take care of that while I try to focus on function.

Hubbleman

Veteran
Yea what’s the deal with PHP vs C# ???

Some dude on the other forum said PHP is more widely supported than ASP NET, is that true ??

Gert Lush

Veteran
Yea what’s the deal with PHP vs C# ???

Some dude on the other forum said PHP is more widely supported than ASP NET, is that true ??

Yes, by miles.
Just about any host, no matter how cheap and accessible will support PHP.
Lots will support ASP/.NET too, but you'll have to make sure. May cost a bit more.

However, just 'cause PHP is the most popular, doesn't mean it's the best. Bit like weed strains, LOL. Check that you like it first. For normal, simple use it's just fine. For super techie stuff, well, you wouldn't be asking here, would you?

Hubbleman

Veteran
Cool, thanx for info!!

The only thing I got against PHP is that I have to learn another language, where’s C/C++/C# feels more like home!

oldbootz

Veteran
By your questions I can see you have a long way to go before you are going to be able to one-man-code a progressive web app from scratch. But don't let that stop you from trying! Attempting this kind of stuff is the fastest way to learn.

Short answer:
CSS skills are what you need to make a site mobile responsive. Bootstrap is a good way to start learning how this works. But its not required.

PHP is an ancient language and only runs on page load. It can be your server side language but in 2017+ I wouldn't use it unless you already know it well in which case it will be faster than learning a new language from scratch. Most of the time people use PHP is because it comes with their Wordpress / Joomla / Drupal content management system built in, and also because PHPmyadmin and C-Panel are very popular on server hosts (because of the aforementioned popular CMS's). If you are starting from scratch there are not many reasons to use it.

You can access Apples and Androids own native UI elements if you really want to code for mobile. You don't need to learn Objective C or Java/LUA either, you can get the elements through CSS classes. Although java is a rock solid back end language and I would consider it.

HTML 5, CSS 3, Javascript ES6 - these are the only three things you really have to learn on front end. Try not get caught up in a framework without knowing these basics really well.

Back end its up to you there are a lot of choices. I prefer Node JS but its a personal preference. Also selecting the right tool for the job is relevant here. Each language has its own strengths and weaknesses.

As far as databases go, sounds like you are comfortable with SQL. MariaDB is the more updated version of SQL and it uses 99% the same commands. If you are doing a forum site like this, SQL based DB will be fine. But as with back end using the right tool for the job is relevant here. If there is a demand for high speed to the database or replication speed / micro service architecture then you might want to check out Redis which you can use in conjuction with a slower SQL based database.

Good luck!

Hubbleman

Veteran
Is it still possible to make a message board type website using C# and .NET ??

My concern if going via PHP I have to learn a new language where's C# I already know and love

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Yes you could..

Yes you could..

I was a programmer C, C++ in UNIX using different databases. I wrote code for private companies and the military industrial complex.

When I wrote a functional equivalent of the monster.com I used PHP, MySQL and plain ‘C’ and had never used them before. I took me a little more than two months to learn PHP & MySQL and create a fully functioning website on a Apache Server (mine).

If you already program in ‘C’ or C++ learning PHP & MySQL would be a piece of cake. PHP code looks a lot like ‘C’.

It’s best that you setup your own Apache Server. Once you break the technical ice, you will be flying.

I had a great time learning PHP.

Good Luck whatever you do.
:party:

Hubbleman

Veteran
This forum is built on vbulletin a community framework. https://www.vbulletin.com/ It's one of the standard forum software packages.

If i go out and buy this package, what do i get? A whole forum frame work?

My site all it needs is ability to register and log people in and also 2 little forum pages, thats right , only 2.

Will i be able to customise vbulletin??

Last edited:

Hubbleman

Veteran
Right.

After fiddling with LAMP on Windows i downloaded WAMP, its working perfectly.

I also signed up for a web host and got a good domain.

I am reading PHP and MySQL book by Larry Ullman at the moment. I am on page 75 so far... Its not very complicated..

At the end of the book there are example chapters that include fully functional forum!! So i dont know if i should spend money and buy vbulliten

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
It’s fun..

It’s fun..

Right.

After fiddling with LAMP on Windows i downloaded WAMP, its working perfectly.

I also signed up for a web host and got a good domain.

I am reading PHP and MySQL book by Larry Ullman at the moment. I am on page 75 so far... Its not very complicated..

At the end of the book there are example chapters that include fully functional forum!! So i dont know if i should spend money and buy vbulliten

I had a blast learning PHP & MYSQL.

You should do fine.