What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Toshiba Satellite Laptop Keyboard Not Working

Green Squall

It started with a few number keys and spread to the space bar, volume/mute keys. I brought it into Geek Squad at Best Buy because it is still under warranty. They said it was a simple software problem. I got it back and it worked for a day and now I'm back to square one. Here's what they did:

"Keyboard 100% functional in our diagnostics OS. Installed new keyboard filter drivers in OS and have had no issues since."

I'd really like to figure this out so I don't have to send it away for 2+ weeks. I'm on my old Dell running XP right now. This thing is a dinosaur!

Any ideas?

Sounds it's updating to a driver version that doesn't work. Go to device manager > settings for the keyboard > then there should be a button saying rollback driver.

If you have another keyboard plug it in, it will bypass your internal one, and allow you to fix what you need done...cant comment on how to fix it, I just use a keyboard now lol

Green Squall

That didn't work aridbud. Thanks though.

tessarecting- Yup, they told me I can plug in another keyboard. Good for the short term, but I don't know how to fix it.
---

Damn I hate electronics. I feel way more comfortable in the dirt.

Green Squall

Just wanted to clarify that when I said I couldn't click on the rollback driver tab, it wasn't a mouse problem, it isn't clickable as seen in pic.

Been to Geek Squad twice. Fuck them. I guess I have to contact Toshiba directly. This has turned into a royal pain in the ass.

picture.php

St. Phatty

That's part of how laptops break down.

keyboard keys go one by one.

I use an external USB K/B on one of my backup laptops.

Green Squall

That's part of how laptops break down.

keyboard keys go one by one.

I use an external USB K/B on one of my backup laptops.

That's why I'm so pissed. It's a new laptop, not even a year old! I paid around $800 bucks for it. Gotta call Toshiba directly this week and see what they have to say.

Green Squall

I'll try anything at this point. Tomsguide is a good forum. I've read over most of the keyboard problem threads.

Edit: Holding down the CTRL buttons worked but I bet it won't last. This is what keeps happening. It seems to be fixed and then the problem comes back.

Edit 2: Stopped working. So frustrating.

St. Phatty

I'll try anything at this point. Tomsguide is a good forum. I've read over most of the keyboard problem threads.

Edit: Holding down the CTRL buttons worked but I bet it won't last. This is what keeps happening. It seems to be fixed and then the problem comes back.

Edit 2: Stopped working. So frustrating.

Computers have an infinite ability to cause rising blood pressure.

It's not worth it.

We're talking about an extremely complex system.

In the '80's it would have ALL been manufactured by a company like Amdahl.

Degreed engineers in white coats, little tower heatsinks on all the FPGA's etc.

Now, systems have increased in complexity about 1000 fold.

And manufacturing has been outsourced to a constellation of low cost manufacturers in Asia.

Glitches are guaranteed.

The assumption we make when we buy computer gear is that it is "capital equipment".

My observation is that it is more like an "expendable" - a paper towel or glue stick that is used in manufacturing, then thrown away.

I have broken 3 Samsung pad computers, because I was too rough with them.

But I had a padded case etc. for the last Samsung pad computer I bought. Died after 4 months.

Yes, if I wanted to spend a lot of time dealing with it, it's theoretically possible to get warranty service. BUT ...

life is too short.

If you were a neighbor, I'd loan you the USB KB behind the front seat of my truck.

Green Squall

So I was talking someone at the computer repair place and he explained that it wouldn't be "cost effective" to get my keyboard replaced. Basically if the repair is more than 40% of the laptop price, they don't recommended doing it.

So my question is, does anyone know how to disable the keyboard on a laptop running windows 10? I purchased a silicone external keyboard that I want to lay across the main keyboard...

meltybubble

I got one also but can’t get the touch pad to work on it. Have tried all the tips I could find but no joy. It’ll work with a mouse but it’s not the same.
Sry to thread hijack but does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Green Squall

I got one also but can’t get the touch pad to work on it. Have tried all the tips I could find but no joy. It’ll work with a mouse but it’s not the same.
Sry to thread hijack but does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Don't worry its an old thread. I never did fix that computer, but luckily a family member gave me their barely used HP that they never used.
--
Did you try holding down fn and f9 ?
Touch pad could also simply be turned off. Go to settings - devices - touch pad and check if its on.
Last thing I can think of is to update your touch pad driver.

meltybubble

Don't worry its an old thread. I never did fix that computer, but luckily a family member gave me their barely used HP that they never used.
--
Did you try holding down fn and f9 ?
Touch pad could also simply be turned off. Go to settings - devices - touch pad and check if its on.
Last thing I can think of is to update your touch pad driver.

Thanks for the prompt reply, tried the f9 key n will get it out n try updating the driver. Ain’t a notion how tho lol 😂
respect ✊🏼