What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Laurence Cherniak's 37°C Hashish Cure

Psuper

In Cherniak's 2006 HASHISH The Joy of Making and Curing he discusses curing resin in general and curing ice water extracted resin in particular, as I am sure you are able to derive from the title of the book....

picture.php
[/IMG]

....the point of discussion in this thread is a method put forward in his book, that is to jar and cure your unpressed resin in a general purpose laboratory incubator. The resin is allowed to cure for three months at 37°C (98°F).

I have not personally done this yet but was hoping to bounce around some ideas on the topic.

Depending on the genetics of the cannabis used the resultant cured resin is more likely to clump together. Hand rolling some of this resin into a ball of hash results in a proper looking "new Royal Nepalese Temple Ball", as Mr. Cherniak describes it. The point of this method however, isn't about the pressing but the curing of the hash.

I, like many of you reading this, prefer smoking unpressed, loose resin. If I have enough to store away it goes in the freezer so it won't degrade. BUT I know plenty of you (including good friends) who want those slabs and balls of hashish dough with their perfectly even consistency.

I am sorry I don't have any personal experiences with this exact method to share, but will eventually. I am pondering constructing my own small incubator instead of buying one; something small for two or three jars.

mack 10

Veteran
yeah, wouldn't that burn off a lot of terps? or is it some type of decarb as well?
~mack.

noytered

lol thats horrible, I could see this maybe for decarbing hash for cooking? Lol.. why would you heat your hash

Psuper

baaallls

baaallls

There is interesting experiment with Cherniak's method in Czech hashish forum. The result was very nice ball of hash which was pretty close to famous temple balls

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=133711&page=3

check out Anandaground posts

Thank-you Brother Elanius! That's just what I am talking about.

picture.php

After this process one could prevent any further curing of the hashish by packaging and freezing it.

If you want the shiny veneer you oxidize the surface of your brick or ball by wrapping it in a piece of cellophane and just letting it sit around. I am not necessarily recommending this, just for information purposes.

Psuper

interesting, seems a rather high temp though?

yeah, wouldn't that burn off a lot of terps? or is it some type of decarb as well?
~mack.

I asked the same things when I first learned about this.

There may be some very volatile terpenoids, flavonoids, etc. that volatilize that wouldn't have otherwise, but if you look up the boiling points of the relevant components were talking about body temperature isn't hot enough to burn these off.

There is decarboxylation or partial decarboxylation during even a normal, long cure of buds. Additional decarb with this method, inside the 3 month time frame, sure.

I worry that perhaps this heated curing would "age" the resin and make the effects more sedative as opposed to the "fresher", headier high I prefer from buds and hash. I won't know until I am able to try this and do a small side-by-side comparison.

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
Having met mr. Cherniak several times, I not sure I would follow his ideas too much.

That and who has a general purpose laboratory incubator hanging around?
The only time I want my hash near 37°c is that brief moment when the flame comes near my bowl.

L

Luther Burbank

I've read all three of Mr. Cherniak's volumes on hashish published in the 70s and 80s. Hard to find today and a bit pricey if you do. The writing isn't the best, although the information is good. Cherniak was a photographer for High Times when that meant something and his photographs are impressive. I was hesitant to take all his advice either. I don't think there's a universal answer, but his method may work in producing a Nepalese Temple style ball of hashish of even consistency. That's always been his white whale.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I would never do it. I cure plants for a few months boxed at cool temps before I dry sift or make water bubble hash, no reason to cure after making. His whole book is wack, full of errors, to many to count. The question is not how it looked after his cure, the question is what did he do to the terpenes and Cannabinoids? Before and after? It must have made the high more physical and made more CBN from the THC, don't you think?
If you like pressed hash press your hash, don't store it at 98 for 3 months.
Unless you just want to try it, then if that is the case, freeze half and take the other half of the same resin and do the 98 cure on it then in three months try them both and say what you think about taste, potency, effects, and looks. Do not believe Laurence, I have known him for 40 years.
-SamS

Laurence Cherniak has been to most producing countries and seen traditions, that is what he is showing and you really should pay attention to what he has to say.
Every producing country heat their resin before pressing which make for a partial decarboxylation and fuse the resin heads in a mass of resin. The reason to cure after pressing is that you have just activated your resin and it will be "eating away" any microscopic leaves residues and all the wax membranes for approx. 12 weeks before going into a "digestive" stage of approx. 2 weeks you can the age your Hashish

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Laurence, can not go back to some of the villages where he made his Royal Temple Balls, the villagers are pissed they never got paid. I would believe nothing he said, and I have known him for more then 30 years.
If you say that "heating activates your resin and it will be "eating away" any microscopic leaves residues and all the wax membranes for approx. 12 weeks before going into a "digestive" stage of approx. 2 weeks you can the age your hash".....
Do you have any proof or is this all just speculation, opinion, and hearsay?

T

tropicannayeah

Every producing country heat their resin before pressing which make for a partial decarboxylation and fuse the resin heads in a mass of resin.

Heat is only used to help form the contaminated dry sift into a solid form...without heat, it wouldn't "fuse" together.

Laurence, can not go back to some of the villages where he made his Royal Temple Balls, the villagers are pissed they never got paid. I would believe nothing he said, and I have known him for more then 30 years.
If you say that "heating activates your resin and it will be "eating away" any microscopic leaves residues and all the wax membranes for approx. 12 weeks before going into a "digestive" stage of approx. 2 weeks you can the age your hash".....

No comments

Every producing country heat their resin before pressing which make for a partial decarboxylation and fuse the resin heads in a mass of resin.

Heat is only used to help form the contaminated dry sift into a solid form...without heat, it wouldn't "fuse" together.
Anytime if you want to see it, I have actually pics, give me a minute

T

tropicannayeah

if you are pressing pure dry sift there definitely should not be a need for heat or strong pressure. ....pure dry sift will easily press into a solid gooey form within 3 or 4 seconds of thumb pressure in your palm.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
My dry sift would press if you looked at it harshly, one pass of the palm and it was done.
If you need heat, hot water, sprayed water, steam, or a vice press like in Pakistan or Morocco and other dry sift areas, the reason is simple, the resin is not pure resin heads, it is something else mixed with resin heads, leaves, dirt, resin stems, etc, etc. Or if not mixed on purpose it is because they did not want to, or could not make pure resin head hashish.
Once you have seen 99.9% resin heads, handled it, worked with it, played with it, pressed it, smoked it, you will understand what I mean....
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No comments

-SamS

Latest posts

Latest posts