What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial How to Make Full Melt Dry Sift!!! photo essay

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Screens

Screens

I never put my resin on top of herb.
My screens are to fine to allow the resin to run through the screen, if needed just add a stacked second or even third screen, and it will even stop any oil from running, that is for sure.
I can smoke my 99.9% dry sift on a single screen, but it must be very very small holes, my screens have smaller holes then almost anyone else's.

-SamS

1. Fine Screen. Although, as soon as you add heat it changes

2. Put on top of herbs

3. Press before use.

IMO The only real problem with having too pure is the wasting it as it burns or it's melting and running down into the pipe.

Attachments

• 1250screen.JPG
    1250screen.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

RulaTone

Veteran
Since we are here:
Sams what kind of lighter you prefer? classic cigarette lighter, butane torch, toothpicks, beewax cord?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I use very long wooden matches, toothpicks and beeswax cords are just not hot enough, I could use a torch, but I don't.
-SamS

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i like to put a bed of ash in the bowl, then even the meltiest bubbliest hash will not run down into the bowl and whats extra nice is that you can give it quick fire and it stays lit. perfect for single hits of hash. no waste if you don't let your eyes be bigger then your lungs. with just a screen i find myself having to keep fire on it pretty much for the whole draw. i only do that if i want to show someone the action.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
The cost of multiple screens can be reduced significantly by making your own frames out of scrap hardwood using a simple table saw and rolling in your own silk matt as the sieve.

Ours are stackable, and will work with either metal or poly screen, because it has both a spline chanel and a screwed retainer.

Here is Skunk Pharm Research's sources for stainless and monofilament screens, taken from their page on DIY dry sifting frames:

Sources:

A good source for stainless mesh in larger sizes and quantities is:
http://www.howardwire.com/stainless_steel_cloth.html

A good source for a polyester monofilament silkscreen is:
http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/silk-screen-printing-mesh

A spline roller and spline can also be picked up at the above source, or use 1/8″ window screen spline and roller from your local hardware store.

Cool, that's the kind indeed. Thanks for the links !

Hi Mriko......by the way, do you re-work your plant material a second time by sifting in the same way or do you cook or do other things with it?

Greetings Chamba !

I usually do two siftings with the plant material indeed. This time I put all three batches all together, and ended up with about 3 grams, of second quality, if not third, but still hits like a hammer eheh, and actually the little contaminant there is add some flavor.
Remaining plant matter will be used for butter or bho I guess.

..and yes, you can re-sieve with just the one mesh screen (for example with a 125 ~ 160 micron mesh). When you have sifted your material, remove the plant material that is sitting on the mesh, then re-tap the frame upside down to make sure as much of the contaminant as possible is removed from the screen.

It's a good idea to place a sheet of paper under the screen when sifting and re-sifting, so the resin can be easily picked up and poured over the cleaned mesh screen again. Pick up the sheet of paper, half it without folding it, and "pour" it on the screen, also give the outside of the paper a few sharp flicks with your finger while the paper is folded which will help remove all of the resin.

I'll have to be better equipped for that, and the sheet of paper is definitely a no-no for me, since I do my sieving outdoor. Although I try to choose my days with the right weather, a gush a of wind is all it takes !

Irie !

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
How hard are those bubbleboxes to clean after you've put a few ounces through them? For some reason I imagine them being way harder to clean than my bags...

bubbleman

Veteran
Hey mriko a good idea when sifting outside is to have a framed screen with the same size piece of plexi glass cut and taped to the framed screen> that way the dry sift is protected and even if dropped or wind comes along you dont lose any valuable resin heads.

GreenintheThumb surprisingly easy , the screens come right out and with a tiny bit of forced air you can clean them up nicely. The box if you were to let it get dirty and let the resin build up in the corner , you would have to use a 99% iso to rub it off and clean , and it would clean like new.

medman225

Bubbleman. Just awesome. Thank you so much for your contributions...
Could you tell us a little bit about the tumble now machine?
Do you use it or prefer this method uv shown us here.... or are they equal?

C

Chamba

How hard are those bubbleboxes to clean after you've put a few ounces through them? For some reason I imagine them being way harder to clean than my bags...

I've used an unused one inch wide paint brush and alcohol to clean screen frames...works just fine.

but also keep in mind that resin dries much slower than the plant material it's attached to.....so if you try to dry sift plant material that was harvested and dried a month or so ago, then you will clog up your dry sifting screens much faster (and yield less) than those who (correctly) dry sift plant material that has been stored for more than several months as the resin will not burst and smear on the mesh as easily. Although if the material is frozen and the dry sifting is done in a low temp/low humidity room then you can dry sift relatively recently dried material.

Last edited:

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Thanks for sharing Bubbleman, great pictures and work as always !

After dabbing some dry sieves last 420 I must say I m hooked on full melt dry sift ! Using a ti nail is such an awesome way to consume your full melt.

I ll follow the advices here for my next run ! Maybe we'll smoke it together ;)

Titoon

C

Chamba

so if you try to dry sift plant material that was harvested and dried a month or so ago, then you will clog up your dry sifting screens much faster (and yield less) than those who (correctly) dry sift plant material that has been stored for more than several months as the resin will not burst and smear on the mesh as easily.

and just as importantly, the drier the resin heads are, the less percentage of them will be smeared on the plant matter and of course, every dry sifter will improve their technique with the use of magnification to check out the plant material, the meshes and the dry sifted resin.

and the resulting dry resin you get from aged material can be worked over fine meshes (fine enough so the resin heads remain on the mesh while the tiny bits of plant matter can be broken up and worked so they pass through the mesh) that's not something that can be done as readily with gooey resin heads.

they call it dry sifting for a reason. lol

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
I cut up these fine screens to fit various pipes and vaporizers...
15_0.jpg

http://www.storz-bickel.com/shop-usd/product_info.php/info/p15_EASY-VALVE-Fine-Screen-Set.html
...cheap, high-quality, and fine enough to use with sift.
They ship free priority mail from the S&B Bay Area office.

I'm loving using a very small amount of dry-sift in the volcano (solid valve, fine screens)- small, and thin enough in depth to see light thru, so most of it flash vapes and doesn't get a chance to pool into a blob. Also works great in the (convection) portable vape- you get more thc per battery charge.

Do you Jamaican-ers ever make it back to the Pine Cone Carribean (SJ/BC islands) in the summer? It's pretty shweeet. :)

Great thread for an awesome product!!!! i just get one for myself, come in to say work very well so thanks & big respect to bubbleman, sam's & others over this thread!

GGTBod

Greetings IC,

my name is Bod, GGTBod, yeah that's right just like James Bond but with a lot more bud and a lot less running about unless it is to do with buds.

I just bought 2 of your sexy looking boxes, drooled over them in the R Connell Clarke book for a long time and after reading your full melt guide for the hundredth of so time it was the perfect entertainment and advert, wire transferred for 2 models at 4am this morning

:smokeit:

yeah yeah i know 4 am purchases are normally terrible plans, i am praying the two boxes i get are as good as all the images i have seen and the 4am purchase is vindicated.

I've been staring at this hanging to dry thinking it would be a crime for it to not be manicured over this piece of kit

2 weeks to go in this pic

Latest posts

Latest posts