What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

-26F or -31C here tonight, how cold is it by you?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HerbGlaze said:
Thats Insane coldest it ever has gotten here was around.. 26-28 F.
So you guys get a lot of rain fall?
just average rainfall Herb
we get snow in October usually and it's the last to melt come April, 'ice out' is when the ice comes off the lakes usually occurs in mid to late April & one year ('02 I think) it was as late as May 20th.

Seems like you folks on the Northern states are receiving what Alaska had last week. It was the coldest I had been in years. It hit -39F....cold. For the first time....my chevy wouldnt fire off....it has a block heater and an oil pan heater....but that wasnt enough.

Today....28F and 5 inches of snow.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old Man Time said:
For the first time....my chevy wouldnt fire off....it has a block heater and an oil pan heater....but that wasnt enough.
block heaters are nice but in that extreme cold the battery takes a beating. I have the Expedition plugged in today & my battery charger hooked up too.......

trouble

Veteran
HIGH / 70 F
LOW / 59 F
HUMIDITY 62%

East winds 10-15 knots. Seas 3-5 feet. Bays & Coastal Waterways light-chop.

........................................................................................................

T

tyler

20F with 20m/s North winds makes for a 'feels like' -10F weather ...brrr :eek:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another chilly assed night

Another chilly assed night

-27F right now or -32C

Wednesdays temps:
High of -5F or -20C
Low of -12F or -24C

I was hoping to see an end in sight for this winter,
instead it's baring its teeth and making a charge at us.

Plus side is that it's a dry cold & the skies have
cleared the stars backlight against a sweet clean
full moon....... a surrealistic feel to it.

Last edited:
B

Boxy Brown

22381DSC01326.JPG

one of the coldest nights this year

wisco61

this winter has been just brutal. but it could always be worse.

i used to live in fairbanks ak. lived downtown for a while and i could see a bank thermometer from my window. one day in i looked and saw it was the same temperature celsius and farhenheit, around -45 if i remember correctly. you know its cold when C and F coincide.

Panacea

Got up to a balmy 2F for a little while today.. now it's back down to -8F before windchill -18F with wind.

Peace
Panacea

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coincidence? I think not.......

Coincidence? I think not.......

Here it is -26F for the first time this year, at my
age I can honestly say I'm getting tired of this shit.

A

arcticsun

what can i say...

65642IMG_1053.JPG

dont know didnt check, wasnt that cold today really, was out all nite from 22.00 yesterday till about 0900 this morning working a 70 year old cold smoke oven. it was just the most amazing full moon, took loads of pics, but the upload is slow as fuck and im pretty tired, so just the one shot of the moonlit mountains and the fjord for now. think ill catch a snooze on the couch, ill make a thread later i guess about the smoke oven. smoked like dunno 25 kilos of salmon filet for christmas. lol was passing it out on the ferry on the way home and ppl went nuts, ferry crew even came out. the smoke smell is just overwhelming of me right now.

actually i dont have a thermometer on my wall, only in the growroom hehe. guess you get why... what temp is it today?...FCKN COLD!! just the way i like it hehe.

A

arcticsun

by the way, if its really that cold over there. then take it from someone living at 70 degrees north. you should use only wool directly to your skin. socks, longjons, tshirts or sport-tops. use only pure wool products, atleast 80% wool. it just outshines any synthetic product on the market anywhere. also, flexible boot soles, very important. if you get cold feet outside.. put the feet and shoes in a plastic bag hehe.

... or get a plainticket to jamaica :rasta:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
arcticsun said:
by the way, if its really that cold over there. then take it from someone living at 70 degrees north. you should use only wool directly to your skin. socks, longjons, tshirts or sport-tops. use only pure wool products, atleast 80% wool. it just outshines any synthetic product on the market anywhere. also, flexible boot soles, very important. if you get cold feet outside.. put the feet and shoes in a plastic bag hehe.

... or get a plainticket to jamaica :rasta:
20+ yrs of living in northern MN has taught me much about dressing for the cold. I wear military surplus 'bunny boots' good for -60 temps, I've stood on the ice fishing @ -25F for 3-4 hours at a time wearing these boots. If your feet remain dry & warm then that's more than 1/2 the battle of retaining warmth. Above the feet up I just dress for the occasion, DuoFold longjohns rule for warmth and comfort imo and spending any time outside requires good gloves and head gear for sure, I like a MadBomber style surplus cap I wear over my wool navy watch cap.

Military surplus is the best cold weather gear imo & functional like a mofo as there's always extra pockets and features built in. Our military is forced to over produce these items because to find ourselves w/o them is inexcusable. Surplus clothing is available year round online through many sources. yeah I can afford nice comfy rain suits for fishing but you gotta know you'll find me dry and warm under the surplus poncho I've had for about 40+(yup, mid 60s) years now. Cheap to own but built to last, it's military grade tough.......

Lucky 7

nice pick, articsun. Yes, the winter reminds me of the movie 30 days of night, 'cept I'm no vampire, but may as well be!!

Just bought some new winter gear yesterday: knee high scentblocker snow boots. These fu*kers are bad! They have black armored camo, leather, and some gore tex.

Also new gore tex thinsulate parka. I can't stand those 3 in 1 jobs that weigh a ton.

I spen a lot of time outdoors so the $400 averaged out for ten yrs is just insurance.

A

arcticsun

Stoner4Life said:
20+ yrs of living in northern MN has taught me much about dressing for the cold. I wear military surplus 'bunny boots' good for -60 temps, I've stood on the ice fishing @ -25F for 3-4 hours at a time wearing these boots. If your feet remain dry & warm then that's more than 1/2 the battle of retaining warmth. Above the feet up I just dress for the occasion, DuoFold longjohns rule for warmth and comfort imo and spending any time outside requires good gloves and head gear for sure, I like a MadBomber style surplus cap I wear over my wool navy watch cap.

Military surplus is the best cold weather gear imo & functional like a mofo as there's always extra pockets and features built in. Our military is forced to over produce these items because to find ourselves w/o them is inexcusable. Surplus clothing is available year round online through many sources. yeah I can afford nice comfy rain suits for fishing but you gotta know you'll find me dry and warm under the surplus poncho I've had for about 40+(yup, mid 60s) years now. Cheap to own but built to last, it's military grade tough.......

did my time in my nations army, served at the arctic northern border to russia. up there it goes down to minus 50. we used actually american vietnam leftover equipment back then, and it was pretty good i gotta hand it to you guys. i still use some of it with the homemade stuff that the local same people(like inuits) sell, and some stuff my mom and grandma used to make.

nothing like the good old gear is it :)

and windchill factor lol i remember once during morning inspection. we stood 3 hours in attention midwinter, waiting for the big shots to finish their extravagant fucking chef breakfast. and as we are standing there, i swear to god this actually happend, this cat comes walking into the place (was a football field i think). cat strolls casually over and sits down just right before the attending redstripe or bloodquart as we call them. those are quartermaster fucking apprentices. (redstripe cus they have a red stripe on their shoulder, bloodquart cus they are always assholes). we had already been standing there like forever then, in attention! so this cat comes in sits down, then after a moment it turns around and you know that way cats lift their tales so that you see directly into the anus?! well it turns around, and looks in the direction we are looking... at the bigshots cantine area, gives us the old browneye stare and sits down in perfect formation infront of the bloodquart.

i swear this must have been the single most symbolic and humilitating moment in all of my strange days. i bet an hour had allready passed, and a hardass leutenant or something comes marching out, powpowpow, like really determined and he looked like he was having a bad day and was ready to take it out on us. when he entered the field he saw the cat sitting there, and us still in attention, he just cracked up something fierce. you could tell that totally made his day. with the biggest grin EVER on his face he did some quick formation drills and marched out of there doubble speed military style, obviously he couldnt wait to get back to his bigshot buddies and tell them. then forever passed and they all came out to make our day even more miserable, all of them grinning, bad baaaaaaad day :badday:

point was, think thats the only time i have heard people talking about windchill factor, 3 guys got frostdamage to their faces that morning and they said there was a windchill factor which made the "felt" temperature -70C. we are all exposed to the north atlantic polar sea here, gulf stream keeps the coast ice away, but there is always a seawind. or we get the inland wind, which comes from siberia, then it goes starclear and cold like a MF.

i checked the temps today, minus 26C inland, and minus 12C by the coast. and we dont even get any sunshine at this latitude in december, its the darkseason, son doesnt come above the horizon until january 21'st and it has been away for a month already.

zomg1

it was -4 celsius here this morning... its -11 now, its supposed to be -21 by tonight, then -37 with the windchill by saturday.. :(

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a chilly 54F degrees here. I think I might need to put on some socks.lol