What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

38 year old seeds popped!

bilko

They didn't make it past tails. Going to heed some people's advice and try to give some a bumpstart with various techniques, as well as attempt to sow directly in soil. Sorry for the let down:( still have about 80 of them

this is a shame to hear they did not make it and its no let down SacredC trial and error is the way forward in this day and age you done your best it may work next time try try try again good vibes sent :)

B

beanz

use quality seed raising mix ...plant the few hundred ++.....might get a few . make fresh seed
sounds like a lot but these seeds very old but you may still get a few......most won,t make it past a tale , like you had unfortunately

I wouldn't mix any bags up ....try keep them in groups you have

this my seed run for winter ,
if you use small square seedling pots , its extremely fast had this lot put down in 20 mins and watered in . temp control heater in corner .....popped 10 year old seed and 12/12 .
just under 300 seeds there
can be done outdoors if its in season with nice warm temps for the week . keep in mind you'd want them off the ground on a table which mice cannot get onto or climb on ....crafty buggers they are .
picture.php

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Not Ace related, but as lovers of landrace genetics I thought this would be a good place to share my excitement.

So my mom has been living with an old man from the northern mendocino / southern humboldt hills for the past 5-6 years helping him out, he is 93 years old and has been growing out there since the mid 70's, a while back he told me that he had kept a lot of his seeds from over the years in his horse stable, they were all very well kept in jars with oxygen absorbers and old magazine paper in an old military ammunition box.

Well!! I came across a ton of seeds, ranging from 1977 to 1991
and I was told to take whatever I cared to.

I just put some seeds in a paper towel yesterday afternoon that were labeled [Afghan x Cambodian 1980] and already 7 out of 28 have tails sticking out!!! 1980!!!! almost 40 years, I cant believe it and I am so excited!

The tap roots on some of them are a weird color, but they popped out nonetheless which says to me "THEYRE ALIVEEEEEEEE"

other seeds I found were often not labled as a strain unfortunately, but I did come across some Mazar i Sharif seeds by the hundreds from 78-81.

I believe it goes without saying but please make as many seeds and variety from them as you can if you get them to work out !

therevverend

Veteran
Wish I'd said this earlier but most times with old seeds the shell will crack, a root will stick out, and the plant will die. It takes a lot more then that to get old seeds to grow.
You will probably have to remove the embryo from the shell to have any success. I haven't attempted it, I'm probably not a lot of help but the internet is your friend. I know other people have experience and success.
The earthworm castings are worth a try if you have lots of seeds. Wouldn't hurt to put a hundred in a healthy batch and give it a try. Otherwise you'll need lab-level sterility along with science.

Wow great gift you got there. Good luck with the rest.

This should not only be a lesson in seed preservation but also pulling seeds out of storage every 8-15 years and making a new batch. With our consumer grade fridges and freezers we might only get a few years more then from a shady barn, but it's what we have to work with now. I have got decent germination rates from seeds stored in Mason jars with silica packets in the fridge, I think 8-9 years old so far.

Biggobelly

Now you gave me the bug...

Now you gave me the bug...

Reading your thread SacredC and thinking I should try and pop some of my seeds from the 70's. I have a couple of route to take to try and pop them. Growth hormones and Fulvic acid combination is going to be my first try. Wishing you luck on yours!:wave:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Welcome SacredC :)
I also would try to talk as much as i can with the generous old man that shared the seeds with you, he must have a ton of knowledge over his shoulders and guess he should be very happy that a younger is interested in his work and experiences.

Oh man, I bet he's a gold mine of info and stories too!

clearheaded

lol dont think he has been around.. shame tho. woulda been cool see some oldschool... maybe search see if active on any forums.

Sunshineinabag

Not Ace related, but as lovers of landrace genetics I thought this would be a good place to share my excitement.

So my mom has been living with an old man from the northern mendocino / southern humboldt hills for the past 5-6 years helping him out, he is 93 years old and has been growing out there since the mid 70's, a while back he told me that he had kept a lot of his seeds from over the years in his horse stable, they were all very well kept in jars with oxygen absorbers and old magazine paper in an old military ammunition box.

I just put some seeds in a paper towel yesterday afternoon that were labeled [Afghan x Cambodian 1980] and already 7 out of 28 have tails sticking out!!! 1980!!!! almost 40 years, I cant believe it and I am so excited!

The tap roots on some of them are a weird color, but they popped out nonetheless which says to me "THEYRE ALIVEEEEEEEE"

other seeds I found were often not labled as a strain unfortunately, but I did come across some Mazar i Sharif seeds by the hundreds from 78-81.

Find good folks w moral compasses thatoney can't remove.....keep em pumping:thank you:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
A treasure found, a treasure lost. He should have sent them to someone who could have done something with them.

Does he have any pure sativa seeds from the 70s.

Latest posts

Latest posts