What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question Regarding Inline Fan / Filter and Speed Control

devo6786

Hey all,

My cab is 1.75 feet x 1.75 feet x 2.75 feet. I am currently running CFLs but may switch over to an LED panel if I have the space after installing my fan/filter

I ordered the Phresh 200 CFM filter and the hurricane 4" inline fan rated at 175ish CFM, also got a speed controller.

I know this is kinda overkill for my space, but wanted the option to upgrade my space in the future if I want to. Plus, noise isn't a HUGE issue, as its in the guest room in my apartment, but Smell would be an issue as I share walls on both sides of my unit.

So my question is: The fan is SUPER loud on its normal setting. Even if sound isn't a huge issue, I dont want it to sound like a jet in the room. When I use a speed controller to turn down to "Low" its definitely more manageable. Will keeping the fan on "Low" reduce the effectiveness of the carbon filter?

starke

Even running at 1/4 speed you are doing about three air changes a minute in your box so you should be good. Search on here for homemade solutions to silencing both your fan and your exhaust.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
A duct muffler has reduced the whoosh of my
fan to a modest noise I can easily ignore/misdirect.

If you're handy, with some hand tools you could
do it yourself for 30 bucks or less.

After installation, I knew my wind tunnel was tamed,
and I could focus on growing, not freaking out about noise.

devo6786

Thanks guys, so my fan at low and a duct muffler are the answers :)

I was mostly concerned that turning the fan down all the way to low would make the filter ineffective, glad to hear that shouldn't be an issue once my plants start flowering.

devo6786

One more question:

I would like to keep the filter and fan in the cab, but the only way that is possible is to have the filter on the floor, the fan directly on top and then ducting out. I also have space to have it set up so I can add a muffler on top of the fan and ducting out of the cab.

The other option is the filter inside the cab at the top, ducting out. The fan and muffler on the outside of the case.

I know its better to have the filter higher, but in a space like this will a make a huge difference?

Pictures for reference. The first one is the filter on the ground, the second one is the filter at the top of the cab

Attachments

• IMG_8800.jpg
    IMG_8800.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8801.jpg
    IMG_8801.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 7

devo6786

Ive read that pushing instead of pulling is as effective, but im definitely not opposed to that if it'll work well for smell

devo6786

ok cool. so in that case fan inside -> duct to outside -> filter outside?

Would Fan inside -> Muffler -> duct to outside -> filter outside be correct?

Americangrower

Veteran
ok cool. so in that case fan inside -> duct to outside -> filter outside?

Would Fan inside -> Muffler -> duct to outside -> filter outside be correct?

I don't use a muffler, but I would connect fan to inside top of box with muffler duct and filter outside. That way fan draws the hottest air.

Trich_Tyson

Air is pulled thru my filter in my big area, but in my tents I️ prefer to push into the filter. Primarily to save space. But the benefits to me are also.. any leaks leading up to the fan will not be an issue, stank air will be pulled into the fan and then pushed thru filtration. But if there is no filter on the other side of the fan that air is getting blown out full of stank. If there is only one piece of duct connected btw the fan and filter at the end you run very little risk of smelly air leaking before it hits the filter

Whereas if you pull thru a filter, then have a light btw filter and fan, or any other connection point, there is a chance that stank air will be pulled in and mixed with clean air. To be dumped out of the area.

I’ve also completely silenced some fairly loud 8inch fans with a rubbermaid tote, a sheet and packing peanuts.. roxul insulation would be even better. Always good to over size and dial down. Which is sounds like you are doing

Dropped Cat

Veteran
Here's my first cabinet:

picture.php

A bit smaller than your build, but the thing grew good buds.

The sketch up shows the fan/muffler stack, which I am
able to conceal in the wall behind the cab, as I do now
with the larger cab I built.

Just a thought, good thread.

devo6786

Yea thats kind of what Im thinking Dropped-cat

Filter in the cab-> ducting out of cab -> fan -> Muffler

But now Im kind of debating pushing through the filter, essentially opposite of above

Fan in cab -> Ducting out of cab -> Filter on the outside.

If I went that route, could a muffler still be attached to the fan, would it have to be in the cab as well to be effective? would it make the filter less effective since Im pushing through it instead of pulling?

Dropped Cat

Veteran
Muffler on the exit or output of the fan for me.

Bench test the rig prior to installation for confirmation.

devo6786

Ok, thats what I thought.

Would one of the cheap ones off amazon work, or DIY or just bite the bullet and spend the additional 75-100$ for a known brand?

Dropped Cat

Veteran
Here is a post from an icmag guy, inspired my build:

picture.php

If you have tin snips and are somewhat handy you could save some coin.

Honestly I guess any of the commercially available mufflers will
reduce the whoosh, the longer the better.