What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What process will create vape oil?

coldcanna

Veteran
I didn't mean percentage wise because I won't know the quality of my dabs. I meant 1 gram of dabs creates how many cartridges- knowing the actual percentage of THC might be erratic.

I have seen some people online that blended 1 gram of wax with 2ml of solvent (blend of PEG and terps) to yield 3 ml of e-juice. So by that calculation, you would fill 6 of the 500 mg (.5ml) standard disposable cartridges. Can anybody verify this?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I didn't mean percentage wise because I won't know the quality of my dabs. I meant 1 gram of dabs creates how many cartridges- knowing the actual percentage of THC might be erratic.

I have seen some people online that blended 1 gram of wax with 2ml of solvent (blend of PEG and terps) to yield 3 ml of e-juice. So by that calculation, you would fill 6 of the 500 mg (.5ml) standard disposable cartridges. Can anybody verify this?

It really depends on the density/consistency of your bho or shatter, but I have found that 1 gram is actually a little less than 1 ml, maybe something around .9 ml. Just weigh your shatter and then heat to ~120F, and then use a syringe or pipette to measure.

P-NUT

Veteran
Hey waterfarmfan, do you use the vac pot you listed on the 2nd page with the cold trap you listed on page 4 to capture and reuse the alcohol? Do you put a pyrex dish in the pot? What size if so?

P-NUT

Veteran
Also can you get all the alcohol out with just the vac in a relatively hot room(90)?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey P-Nut. You most definitely do NOT want to bulk remove alcohol with the chamber and that cold trap. The trap is effective but not that effective and you will certainly end up with ethanol gas in your pump. It is also difficult to prevent excessive ethanol gas build up in the chamber, which can be dangerous for many reasons. The chamber and cold trap are best used to purge the final ~10-15% ethanol, after you have removed the bulk of it.

For bulk removal of ethanol, I personally use a 2L mantle with a 24/40 glass distillation setup that is also connected to the cold trap. My setup is like this:

2L Heating/Stirring Mantle -> 2L Heavy Wall Boiling Flask with 2 Necks -> (1st Neck) - Thermometer Adapter -> (2nd Neck) - 200mm Vigreux Column -> Thre​e Way Disti​llation head w 75 degree bend -> (Top Adapter) - 24/40 Glass Stopper -> (Side Adapter) - 300mm Condenser -> Vacuum Take Off Adapter w 105 Bend -> 1L Heavy Wall Boiling Flask -> Vacuum Hose -> Cold Trap -> Vacuum Hose -> Tee -> (Top Tee) - Vacuum Hose to Ball Valve -> (Side Tee) - Vacuum Hose -> Vacuum Pump

You can get everything above here:

https://stores.ebay.com/Deschem-Science-Supply/24-40-Joint-Glassware-/_i.html?_fsub=4006824017

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Holy Terps, Connoisseur Concentrates and several others are also selling what they call a pure terpene flavorless solution for thinning concentrates for pen cartridges. Some claim to need as little as 0.1mL solution per gram of shatter, to make it work in a standard pen. Most recommend 0.25-0.3mL per gram. All of the sites claim their product is a "proprietary blend", often organic, and contain NO glycol or glycerin and only terpenes. One or two of the cheaper ones evidently do add a "fog machine" flavor but people seem to like them in general. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what terpenes are actually in them? I'm sure they're MUCH cheaper in bulk.

Back to the topic at hand, I can concur much of the above. My journey making vape oil started with Vapuer Extract's Flavorless. It is the PEG400/PG/VG blend, and it was fine but I saw some separation after a bit of testing.

I then ordered some Holy Terp Flavorless and flavored terpene blends. The "Flavorless" has slight liquorice flavor, but it is actually a very nice base, as far as terpene effect goes. I made some vape oil with only Strawberry, and the effect is flat compared to flavorless. It was clear that the Flavorless had myrcene and/or limonene that provided a dominant effect in vape oil.

That lead me to order a bunch (10) of terpene isolates from True Terpenes. It is bit more of an upfront investment, but the results speak for them selves on every level. I googled and searched websites like PSI Labs for terpene profiles of high quality flower samples. If you have all or most of the dominant terpenes, these profiles are like a recipe book to make your terpene blends. All you have to do is some basic math by dividing the total terpene % by the indvidual terpene %. This will result in a list like below for a Thai sativa:

Beta-Pinene 10%
Beta-Myrcene 39%
Limonene 6%
Caryophyllene 8%
Alpha-Pinene 7%
Terpinolene 31%

Using a glass pippete, I make a batch of 5-10ml total using the ratio of my "recipe". I then add .1-.2ml per gram of very high quality shatter. I found (since I already had a bunch of flavors) that an additional .05ml of Holy Terp Strawberry or Pineapple to the terpene isolate blend really makes for a better tasting vape experience. The terpene blend is not overpowering but the Holy Terp adds a very nice touch on top.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Also to be clear, the terpene blends above absolutely alter the effect profile of shatter. I have been taking some older shatter as a base and testing different blends. You can make a much more (but not quite complete) sativa experience using a hybrid base. This is not about flavor - it is about effect.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Also to be clear, terpenes are very serious chemical compounds that must be treated with the UPMOST respect. Larger quantities can cause serious injury. Read the MSDS for every terpene that you are using and really understand the effects of inhalation and consumption before using.

WishDoctor

when terpenes became the rage in the occult new age community in the 80's people were in the hospital big time consuming that stuff. same way people are now, in another 2-3yrs watch, just going to get real bad with all the crappy underground chemist.
In the 80's it was skin lesions and stomach probs from consumption, now I can see more bag lung shit going down this road.
just because they are in plants etc, does not mean it's good for you to remove and replace, nature has the lock and key, and just watch, I mean we see it already with allot of oil heads who have shitty lung.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
when terpenes became the rage in the occult new age community in the 80's people were in the hospital big time consuming that stuff. same way people are now, in another 2-3yrs watch, just going to get real bad with all the crappy underground chemist.
In the 80's it was skin lesions and stomach probs from consumption, now I can see more bag lung shit going down this road.
just because they are in plants etc, does not mean it's good for you to remove and replace, nature has the lock and key, and just watch, I mean we see it already with allot of oil heads who have shitty lung.

Hey WishDoctor! The last thing in the world that I want is to make myself or anyone else ill. What kind of quantities of terpenes where people consuming back in the 80s? Were they drinking viles of it? Where was it sourced from back then?

Don't care what anyone says. The terps created by the organic Cannabis plant are intended to be vaped. The fake shit on the other hand, regardless of where it's sourced, makes me wanna kill whoever just poisoned me. Night and day.. One improves, the other subtracts.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
SA - I feel where you are coming from, but if you are that much of a purest, than I assume that you would make all of your extracts yourself. Don't want third party terps, then don't buy commercial vape products. Pretty simple.

When it comes to terpenes, there seems to be some kind of magicians code that nobody wants to really talk about in detail and on the record. This continued secrecy will foster ignorance. Stupid people will always do stupid things (like taking a dab in a room after open blasting butane), but for this could include sourcing terpenes from foreign countries or using non-reagent grade or even tainted sources.

As to using 100% cannabis terpenes, I post plenty on my experiments to extract terpenes from pulverized (pristine) flowers using a vacuum oven, nitrogen assist and a bunch of glass condensers and cold traps. Do you know how much feedback I got? Other than Pangea, Bloyd and a few others, very little. Now why is that? Because a bunch of people are trying to do this, hoarding tech and not saying shit. I also assume there is some patent bullshit going on behind the scenes as well.

So, if we really want people to not have to use third party (non-cannabis) terpenes in potentially too large quantities or from tainted sources, how about the experts that really know about this stuff share their findings. Sorry for the rant. My 2 cents...

coldcanna

Veteran
Don't care what anyone says. The terps created by the organic Cannabis plant are intended to be vaped. The fake shit on the other hand, regardless of where it's sourced, makes me wanna kill whoever just poisoned me. Night and day.. One improves, the other subtracts.

I wouldn't call non-cannabis derived fake- Limonene is limonene whether from an orange or cannabis flower. It's like a carbon atom is a carbon atom no matter what.

WishDoctor

not fake, seriously dangerous and not meant to be vaped...no matter what you think it's a medical fact.
secret science my ass, it's faek and in the near future this will be known as a dead path as already proven in the 80's-90's

terps are great for aroma therapy but not for internal consumption.

coldcanna

Veteran
Hadn't heard that before now but makes sense to me.... we already recognize them as anti-fungal, anti-tumor, etc... doesn't surprise me it'd hurt us in large doses.

Just the thing thats lost on me is paying tons of dough for "cannabis derived" terps vs cost effective terps sourced from other herbs and fruits without re-inventing the wheel.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Just the thing thats lost on me is paying tons of dough for "cannabis derived" terps vs cost effective terps sourced from other herbs and fruits without re-inventing the wheel.

I am certainly not advocating anyone to pay the current insane prices for cannabis derived terpenes. I am saying that if you have high quality flowers, then the terpenes are already there just waiting to be extracted, in a natural ratio that could be used for safe vape oil. If there is a way to safely extract terpenes in a repeatable fashion, just like the 100s of commercial and DIY products for extracting cannabiniods, I wonder why more people don't discuss these ideas.

Latest posts

Latest posts