What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sittin in my shed....

moose eater

I find that whenever there is a group around a fire, there is usually one firebug who takes over. They will poke it and feed it and rebuild it and they get very possessive if anybody else touches it. That person is never me. I just don't have the feel. When we were camping in Kruger, I had to start a wood fire every night to cook our meat. Yeah, there was always a stove inside that I could have used but when you're in the bush, it felt far more manly to fire up a braai. White fire starter cubes saved us from starving on all 3 trips.
My wife and older son had built the base of the fire on a snowy old bonfire pit they'd shoveled off, as directed, but with too much wood and not enough kindling, too much void in the 'tee-pee' structure of the limited 6-8-ft. long spruce poles they -did- have, while wasting an entire (new) smaller qt. jug of charcoal lighter fluid. (The Boy Scout's secret helper, if used properly).

With the food barely finished in the kitchen, I left the kitchen, retrieved some suitable spruce kindling from the barn that was the result of past wood-splitting efforts by my younger son a couple years ago, disassembled the clusterfuck of a base for the failed fire, re-instructed them, again, to unbury the long spruce poles that were still under 1-1/2 ft. of snow, despite earlier instruction, and re-lit their efforts, after which the fire was blazing.

Roughly a 8' to 10' diameter bonfire. Good and HOT!!

Unfortunately, they also didn't retrieve the 20+ year old stacked lengths of easily accessible 4-8' river aspen poles behind the greenhouse, so I went to do that, as well as unburying the 4' lengths of green spruce logs the wind storm had given us last summer.

I've spent a good deal of time in the bush, and living in situations where wood heat was the -only- source of heat (not withstanding the propane oven that often doesn't burn below -39 f.), even down to 60+ below zero f.

I told my wife with controlled disgruntlement (it was Christmas, after all) there's a reason why urbanians sometimes freeze to death in the bush when in dire straits. Absence of experience being an understandable key factor. I then stated, If you're not able to get a fire lit before your hands lose feeling, or, heaven forbid, before your thinking goes wonky, you may be screwed. Fire building is a very important skill to practice in this region.

Then, when the fire had gained sufficient heat and coals underneath, I went back in and prepped individual bowls of the grub pictured above.

There needed to be sufficient heat from the large fire to not have them eating frozen Christmas chow before their bowls were half-empty, and we achieved that. Though my wife managed to let her can of King St. Bewing (Anchorage, Ak.) 'Winter Warmer' (Chirstmas beer at 8% abv) freeze. It was, afterall, -20 f.

I apologized to both of them afterward. They both know I have a short fuse for frustration when taxed, relative to PTSD, and other factors, and get irritated at folks screwing around when they have the capacity to know better. But we managed to pull off a pleasant Christmas meal and gift sharing anyway.

"And so it goes..."

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I find that whenever there is a group around a fire, there is usually one firebug who takes over. They will poke it and feed it and rebuild it and they get very possessive if anybody else touches it. That person is never me. I just don't have the feel. When we were camping in Kruger, I had to start a wood fire every night to cook our meat. Yeah, there was always a stove inside that I could have used but when you're in the bush, it felt far more manly to fire up a braai. White fire starter cubes saved us from starving on all 3 trips.
i haul a dozen or so MatchLight charcoal and some red cedar shavings in a big zip-lok in case of nasty weather. still got them, albeit the charcoal has crumbled to doodle dust, lol. i hear that cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly burn well too, in addition to being waterproof...:tiphat: (Pringles potato chips, too, but not waterproof)

moose eater

i haul a dozen or so MatchLight charcoal and some red cedar shavings in a big zip-lok in case of nasty weather. still got them, albeit the charcoal has crumbled to doodle dust, lol. i hear that cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly burn well too, in addition to being waterproof...:tiphat: (Pringles potato chips, too, but not waterproof)
You can also carry a small can the size of a Hubard's (spelling?) Shoe Grease can, or similar, with narrow strips of old inner-tube soaked in diesel or kerosene. Quick trick I learned at a squatter's cabin years ago. But the darker 'moss' (black beard-looking stuff) hanging from the branches under spruce trees and the smaller dead branches often light like no other, even with a single match. Good stuff.

Last edited:

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Damn that food looks good 👍

I do love a good 🔥 fire 🔥 I have a few piles of wood and tree trimmings etc waiting for the weather to dry up

Turkey turned out good 👍 very moist
B417AB67-1556-4893-942B-06BEFEF8D500.jpeg

tempted to do a couple of big chickens next year instead- less cooking time, and I cook a big ham with it anyway

Decorations are starting to come down bit by bit, might tackle the tree 🌲 tomorrow… been playing games with little miss brunch today 👍

moose eater

If it were up to me, it would be… mrs b and little b like puff pastry though, so…
View attachment 18796224

Happy daughter and wife = happy life :tiphat:
Not that they'll necessarily care, but as extra leverage in any Shepherd's pie, or similar skirmish between wheat versus spuds, and using your best pained old man voice/presentation, you might tell them that Medscape just released another study that stated dried beans and potatoes (surprisingly to me, I'll admit) both led to lower body mass index, and lower A1C. My Irish ancestors weren't as thick as some thought, apparently.

Or, in summary, not all carbohydrates are equal. Good to know they live in the same biased world we do, those carbs!! If anyone deserves such unequal treatment, it's those carbs!! That's what I say!! :)

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Happy new year all, I’m about 40 minutes away from the new year here and sparking up a fat joint of bud and crystal from the headbanger x opg … saved all the kief at the bottom of the bucket after weighing up
Very tasty 🤤
Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, hope you’re having a good evening and a prosperous new year to you all :tiphat:

moose eater

Happy New Year to you as well, mr. brunch.

Just started a pan of wild rice, and another of short-grain brown rice, to make a wild rice stuffing with andouille sausage, celery, onion, maybe fresh organic mushrooms, and a wee touch of sage, in a whole domestic duck, with extra stuffing left over, I'm sure.

Giblet gravy to go over golden spuds, and some homemade coleslaw.

Can't say I'm sad or reluctant in any way to witness the 2022 calendars headed into the trash bins. Nope.... not at all.

Perhaps either another bonfire this evening, just my wife and I, or perhaps a journey into the fireworks show in town at the University's West Ridge, where they put on an elaborate, expensive, stellar display of explosives in color each New Year's Eve.. (*My wife was initially opposed to that, as it brings back now-sad of then-happy memories for her from when the kids were here, and we did that as a family, but maybe it's past time to accept the future, what ever it may hold?)..

Don't burn anything down celebrating with class-C explosives!! Certainly not that shed!! :)

Last edited:

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
No chance of any new year bonfire 🔥 for me I’m afraid… too much rain and blowing a gale , but I’m stoned enough not to care 🤣
My stepson is back tonight, bad food poisoning so we kept him here with a bucket by the bed.. not the best new year for a 20 year old, but we’ve all been there
All the best my friend

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got my fire going after an all day rain yesterday and a foggy morning. Need a good fire on New Years Eve! Its an artform. People always ask how I do it.Try not to use charcoal and lighter fluid. I have to cheat and bring some paper this time of year.

Making whole wheat and hemp pork loin pizza on the cast iron skillet. Packing another pipe with hash on it this time.

Have a happy new year! 2023! :smoke:

full

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoking the Sativa Candy Chunk-"Loud" pheno, a cultivar I've had going for a number of years. Just put the last of the finger hash from harvest on there. Celebrating a great year and looking forward to 2023!

What are you guys smoking this evening?

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Got my fire going after an all day rain yesterday and a foggy morning. Need a good fire on New Years Eve! Its an artform. People always ask how I do it.Try not to use charcoal and lighter fluid. I have to cheat and bring some paper this time of year.

Making whole wheat and hemp pork loin pizza on the cast iron skillet. Packing another pipe with hash on it this time.

Have a happy new year! 2023! :smoke:

I usually get a fire in Christmas or new year, but all my wood is wet … couple of dry days and I’ll drag out some dry stuff from the attic to start it off (plenty of not needed or broken stuff in there I’m sure)
Smoking the Sativa Candy Chunk-"Loud" pheno, a cultivar I've had going for a number of years. Just put the last of the finger hash from harvest on there. Celebrating a great year and looking forward to 2023!

I do like some finger hash, smoked my last bit yesterday.. very tasty. Tonight I’m smoking
Headbanger x orange pink grapefruit testers from real gorilla seeds
Very flavourful and strong much recommended

moose eater

This last June harvest's original (Arjan's Greenhouse Seeds) Super Lemon Haze scissor hash. Last night it was dangerously potent. Hate to admit it, but it severely reduced my natural curmudgeonliness..

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
This last June harvest's original (Arjan's Greenhouse Seeds) Super Lemon Haze scissor hash. Last night it was dangerously potent. Hate to admit it, but it severely reduced my natural curmudgeonliness..
I have to say this bud has made me a lot less disgruntled than usual… in fact one might say I’m actually quite gruntled this evening :tiphat:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Hash.
in fact one might say I’m actually quite gruntled this evening :tiphat:

I am about the same here. Christmas just got packed away for another year. I have been smoking hash, some leaf, more hash, and again . . . repeat . . . and the rain has just cleared - just in time for fireworks . . . and a terrified dog. With an unfinished leaky plumbing chore for tomorrow. Now THAT will require a LOT of hash.

Latest posts

Latest posts