What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to mail seeds from US to Mexico?

RenaissanceBrah

I wanted to send some seeds to my friend in Mexico so we can grow them together once I'm down there later this year.

Anyone know the best way to mail seeds?

I was thinking of taking them with me on the plane, but was thinking by mail would be less risky.

Wasn't sure which carrier would be best (USPS, DHL, etc), and how to package it so it wouldn't get opened. Not looking to send too many seeds, maybe like 10 or so.

MedFaced

Make a snack pack. Assume they’ll look and give em logical shit to see. Cookies, trail mix, toys, powdered creamer, you know, things that someone with access to US stores would send down south to family and friends.

USPS will just hand it off to Mex postal. If going with a private carrier, I’d pick the more established companies like UPS or FedEx who will likely have a better organizational reach than DHL and smaller carriers.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun time coming soon regardless.

RenaissanceBrah

Make a snack pack. Assume they’ll look and give em logical shit to see. Cookies, trail mix, toys, powdered creamer, you know, things that someone with access to US stores would send down south to family and friends.

USPS will just hand it off to Mex postal. If going with a private carrier, I’d pick the more established companies like UPS or FedEx who will likely have a better organizational reach than DHL and smaller carriers.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun time coming soon regardless.

Thanks MedFaced - snackpack does sound like a good idea. Though I saw "foodstuffs" as restricted to send to Mexico. Seems like everything is restricted!

Hide seeds in a CD Case: restricted
Foodstuffs: restricted
Coffee products: restricted
Jewelry: restricted
Childrens toys: restricted

Hmm... trying to think of other places I can hide the seeds. Seems like it's prohibited to send anything to Mexico almost

https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/prohibited-restricted/mexico/index.shtml

Amynamous

I can’t post the link as it would be against the tou, but google the following:

using a coin flip to mail seeds

The site should be the 1st or 2nd listed.
Best of luck, and please let us know how things go!

St. Phatty

If you mail a DVD with the seeds embedded,

so they really inspect all those ?

The Mail in Mexico works good - but are they more efficient than the US ?

Lotto

I would enclose the seed inside scotch tape. Put inside your wallet and forget it. Safer and quicker than mailing. The worst that could happen is TSA would confiscate. You could also mail a few out to cover all bases.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Check your rep for foolproof method.

Discussing these things in the open kind of defeats the stealthness ya know..

RenaissanceBrah

Check your rep for foolproof method.

Discussing these things in the open kind of defeats the stealthness ya know..

True, best not to discuss in the open. I didn't know who else to ask

Better get shit on here than from a Mexican cop :yoinks:

All the people I know say to just bring it in my pocket via airport, but I've already had run ins with Mexican cops and it's not fun, I figured would be less risky to send it.

HomegrownJerome

I received some beans from a Facebook friend from South Africa after about 100 days of waiting. She jammed about 30 seeds of 4 local types into the corigations of a piece of cardboard a little smaller than the envelope. To the cardboard she taped a little bag filled with used S.A. postage stamps. The outside of the envelope had "collection stamps" & "do not bend" warnings. I in return sent her about the same amount of B.C. bagseeds to her the same way. She also had to wait 100 days or so to get her B.C. beans safely to her.

RenaissanceBrah

I received some beans from a Facebook friend from South Africa after about 100 days of waiting. She jammed about 30 seeds of 4 local types into the corigations of a piece of cardboard a little smaller than the envelope. To the cardboard she taped a little bag filled with used S.A. postage stamps. The outside of the envelope had "collection stamps" & "do not bend" warnings. I in return sent her about the same amount of B.C. bagseeds to her the same way. She also had to wait 100 days or so to get her B.C. beans safely to her.

Thanks Jerome, clever idea, I might try that. Sounds similar to the coin flip method

ZOnaVerde

Veteran
If you don't care about seeds, I guess you can send them in a normal full bubble with a fine lead or mixed in between (fishing accesories). Put a fictitious name, adress, if possible with a tracking number but without presenting an identity document. Track the package with a vpn or not! Use the small post.
Good luck!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Corrugated cardboard going through automatic mail sorting machine pulverizes seeds. Had friend from AFN that tried to send us seeds from Quebec to USA several times using that method. Looked like hemp flour.

Latest posts

Latest posts