What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hedging off potential damping off with hydrogen peroxide?

sbeanonnamellow

Wondering what application rate of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water is safe to use with watering seeds and seedlings.

I've read about people washing the seeds with hydrogen peroxide and sometimes even bleach to rid the seedcoat of any potential dormant pathogen. What sort of dilution ratio of 3% hydrogen peroxide works well for rinsing seeds prior to planting without harming them?

Even more, if wanting to hedge off possible damping off with respect to possible pathogens in a soil mix or media, what application rate of 3% hydrogen peroxide is safe to use when watering seedlings for the first few weeks of their growth? Much love

sbeanonnamellow

I dig that approach. What about flushing the media in question with hydrogen peroxide then rinsing with fresh water then "charging" it with a soil conditioner?

What do you think of beneficial bacteria in products like Plant Sucess, Great White, and/or Hydroguard? Would those act as beneficial soil conditioners the way you're describing?

No problems happening, more PTSD if that makes any sense. Appreciate your reply. Much love

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Don't led medium get too wet

Keep an eye on humidity

Make sure there is proper air circulation from a fan.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The 3% I got smelt funny. I use the 11.9% shop stuff since the 17.5% has been controlled here. I can get about 35% food grade from eBay though.

For cuttings I would regularly put 2ml per liter of 17.5% in, which is like 10ml/l of the 3%. However not the first 24 hours.
I got a yeast infection so increased that 2ml a bit, them double, then a lot. At 'a lot' you could hear the blocks sizzling like coca-cola. It didn't kill the yeast or the cuttings.

I presume it's Rockwool?

Since using coco I have relied on its inherent eco system being nice. Most bags are fine, but sometimes you get a bad one. You can just treat that for later stages.

I don't think I would use it on much else. Though have treated compost like it was hydro before and it wasn't bad.

I have seen a H2O recommendation for compost. It wasn't to kill anything though. The 11.9% bottle says 15ml/l and wait 24 hours to clean a system between uses. I thought fizzy time was stronger tbh.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I usually just use a capful in a glass of water for seeds.
For soil,I would just do a heat treatment in an oven or solarize it under a clear sheet of plastic in the sun for a few days.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Try adding Regalia to your initial medium soak, as well as the first few waterings. It really helped me get decent cloning success rates when I was dealing with large losses from cuts damping off.

HGCC

I used to treat my jiffy pucks with Actinovate after experiencing a bad stretch of damping off. I loved that stuff but it was sort of expensive.

Started having a hard time locating that product so went a different route. Whats worked well for me is to soak the seeds in plain water for 24 hours or so and then planting into very very loose coco with 50-80% perlite that is not terribly moist. The presoak gets them to pop a bit faster and the medium typically dries out quickly enough that the fungus doesn't seem to take hold.

Edit: the regalia mentioned above would be a good option, it is what i would choose currently.

Asslover

Veteran
Wondering what application rate of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water is safe to use with watering seeds and seedlings.

I've read about people washing the seeds with hydrogen peroxide and sometimes even bleach to rid the seedcoat of any potential dormant pathogen. What sort of dilution ratio of 3% hydrogen peroxide works well for rinsing seeds prior to planting without harming them?

Even more, if wanting to hedge off possible damping off with respect to possible pathogens in a soil mix or media, what application rate of 3% hydrogen peroxide is safe to use when watering seedlings for the first few weeks of their growth? Much love
WHAT? Bleach to get rid of seedcoat? Hedge off possible damping off? Never in 20+ years have I or any of my friends ever had any problems with dormant pathogens or whatever. IMHO, you’re over thinking/complicating things.