What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question regarding using and chelating gypsum

ButterflyEffect

No not at all. The hempys were dwc style feeding off a huge res with a strong pump and lots of oxygen in the water. I don’t think blumats would work in perlite, and I’ve never seen it done. Won’t know till you try, but I’d go with the dripper route, wouldn’t be any different than rock wool just a different substrate.

My blumats run off a Shurflo pump with even pressure which you adjust on it with an Allen key. Each line going to every plant that has a blumat has a shut off valve. After a solid watering with runoff with the blumats already in the coco I shut off all the lines and run the pump. I adjust the pressure with the bleed valve on at the end of the manifold/lines. Once it sets I open the lines to each plant and dial individually. I’ve got a manifold going into two tents off this one pump/manifold.

I ran drippers for years and their solid once dialed in. It’s just more tedious to get even pressure to every plant if you’re running more than a dozen, and I never found a timer I fully trusted. With the blumat system I have an alarm for water spills which will cut the pump. Never had spills that I couldn’t clean with a shopvac fortunately.

Ok. I misunderstood.

Maybe one day I'll migrate to something that is easier in the feeding department. I may very well do drippers, as I don't feel comfortable enough to tackle coco. I already have roofing rubber on the floors and a shop vac handy. Plus I have tables that I'm installing drains that go to a dry well in the cellar, so overflow would only kill a pump or my water supply.

G

So, are you saying that people have run blumats in perlite/vermiculite hempys?? I was of the understanding that they do not work. Am I wrong?

I mean, I could do drippers, but frankly I'd rather not go down the hole of a pressurized system at the moment, hence the desire to drop in the blumats as a passive setup.

Are yours pressurized in the coco?

I think it would work, but you couldn't have perlite next to the sensor. I'd suggest 1-2" of thickness of vermiculite around the sensor.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If you are chasing Ca with a high pH then the pH may be the problem in a low cec media. Free Ca will bond with P and fall out at pH 7 and above.

It appears K raises my pH. Putting in the form I use means doubling my acid usage. That satisfies the tank. However my runoff goes high. Easily 8. Chemistry suggests N use is the main contributor to rising pH but I see it directly follow my use of K. Who's consumption should lower pH. I'm not thinking it gets consumed though. More along the lines of it being the outstanding remainder.

Just some thoughts really. I fixed it though.

eyesdownchronic

If you are chasing Ca with a high pH then the pH may be the problem in a low cec media. Free Ca will bond with P and fall out at pH 7 and above.

It appears K raises my pH. Putting in the form I use means doubling my acid usage. That satisfies the tank. However my runoff goes high. Easily 8. Chemistry suggests N use is the main contributor to rising pH but I see it directly follow my use of K. Who's consumption should lower pH. I'm not thinking it gets consumed though. More along the lines of it being the outstanding remainder.

makes sense to me

ButterflyEffect

I think it would work, but you couldn't have perlite next to the sensor. I'd suggest 1-2" of thickness of vermiculite around the sensor.

I'd have to experiment with that. I'd be afraid the vermi would fall out or that I just wouldn't get an accurate representation of how dry the media is.

Good food for thought. I have something to tinker with now!

The deficiency isn't getting worse, which is nice. I did manage to get the pH stable in the root zone at ~5.8. I'm pretty certain now that the Biomin was causing my pH to skyrocket and I simply didn't bother to check the pH after adding a new component. Lesson learned!

Latest posts

Latest posts