What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap Nutrient Line for Commercial and Home Grows?

BillFarthing

Veteran
When I am consulting, I get asked for a complete but cheap nutrient lineup that is suitable for commercial usage. This lineup can also be scaled for the home grower to save some serious cash.

You start with a salt base nutrient. Jack's classic hydro, Masterblend, Jack's Nutrients TAP or Growmore soluble powders also work depending on your access.

Jack’s Hydro Feed- 25 lb bag
$70- 2000 gallons
$0.035/gallon

Add your biostimulant. Mr. Fulvic is the home and garden version and has fulvic, amino and organic acids, chelated micros and trace elements. AGT-50 is the commercial wholesale version. They both help make nutrients available regardless of pH and give salts organic taste and smell.

AGT-50- 20L
$460- 20,000 gallons
$0.023/gallon

Extra calcium is needed at transition. Growmore Flowering Cal-Mag also has kelp to help stack nodes going into flower. Albion metalosate and epsom salt can also be used.

Growmore flowering cal-mag- 2.5 gal
$90- 1900 gallons
$0.047/gallon

PH down is pH control, but also adds soluble phosphorus when something like HydroFeed is low in Phosphorus.

Advanced pH down- 4L
$82- 6600 gallons
$0.01/gallon

For IPM, insecticidal soap will take care of bugs and mold.

DES-X Insecticidal Soap- 2.5 g
$85- 300 gallons (@1%)
$0.28.3/gal.

For a bloom booster, Monopotassium phosphate used weeks 4-6 of flower.

Haifa MKP- 4 lb
$20- 1820 gallons
$0.01/gallon

This is a complete lineup including IPM. It can be used large or small. There's no reason to spend a ton of money on fertilizer for excellent quality cannabis.

picture.php

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I typically use rice hulls, DE or Recycle Sil in the soilless mix, but if you want to add silica-

Potassium silicate- 20 lb
$160- 1820 gallons
$0.087/gallon

You add RecycleSil to the mix? At what rates? Doesn't it get washed away within the first few waterings?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
When I am consulting, I get asked for a complete but cheap nutrient lineup that is suitable for commercial usage. This lineup can also be scaled for the home grower to save some serious cash.

You start with a salt base nutrient. Jack's classic hydro, Masterblend, Jack's Nutrients TAP or Growmore soluble powders also work depending on your access.

Jack’s Hydro Feed- 25 lb bag
$70- 2000 gallons
$0.035/gallon

Add your biostimulant. Mr. Fulvic is the home and garden version and has fulvic, amino and organic acids, chelated micros and trace elements. AGT-50 is the commercial wholesale version. They both help make nutrients available regardless of pH and give salts organic taste and smell.

AGT-50- 20L
$460- 20,000 gallons
$0.023/gallon

Extra calcium is needed at transition. Growmore Flowering Cal-Mag also has kelp to help stack nodes going into flower. Albion metalosate and epsom salt can also be used.

Growmore flowering cal-mag- 2.5 gal
$90- 1900 gallons
$0.047/gallon

PH down is pH control, but also adds soluble phosphorus when something like HydroFeed is low in Phosphorus.

Advanced pH down- 4L
$82- 6600 gallons
$0.01/gallon

For IPM, insecticidal soap will take care of bugs and mold.

DES-X Insecticidal Soap- 2.5 g
$85- 300 gallons (@1%)
$0.28.3/gal.

For a bloom booster, Monopotassium phosphate used weeks 4-6 of flower.

Haifa MKP- 4 lb
$20- 1820 gallons
$0.01/gallon

This is a complete lineup including IPM. It can be used large or small. There's no reason to spend a ton of money on fertilizer for excellent quality cannabis.

View Image

Bill thanks for this.
Can you talk about how the schedule? How do you advise to tweak the ingredients throughout the grow? Or is this more like the lucas system where the the ratios stay the basically same veg and bloom.
Hope that doesn't sound stupid

BillFarthing

Veteran
The only stupid question is one that doesn't get asked.

-Follow the feed schedule on your salt base. It essentially ramps up EC from seedling/transplant -> veg -> transition -> bloom and cuts out for flush.

-Mr. Fulvic/AGT-50 is always 0.5-1ml/gallon drench from transplant through harvest.

-Supplemental calcium is used right before flip either drench or foliar until they stop stretching or show flowers. Usually 1-2 weeks.

-Bloom booster is used week 4-6 of flower. I listed MKP, but I also like the homemade Hammerhead recipe.

-pH Down is used as needed to keep the pH 5.5-6.2.

-Insecticidal soap is used 15-60ml/gal. with Mr. Fulvic at 0.5-1ml/gallon foliar veg through transition. The fulvic makes the soap trans-laminar and provides foliar stress reduction.

This method exactly follows the tissue sample graphs that I always post from Agricen.

BillFarthing

Veteran
I've been trying to find a no N cal-mag...do you have a good online source for it?

Growmore Flowering Cal-Mag is the only cal-mag without N on the market. Albion Metalosate is organic and low N. It needs to have epsom salt added for a complete Ca/Mg/S supplement.

I looked into calcium and magnesium acetate dietary supplements, but they usually have one form of cal/mag in them that isn't totally soluble. That's fine in soil/soilless, but not for foliar or hydroponics.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
The only stupid question is one that doesn't get asked.

-Follow the feed schedule on your salt base. It essentially ramps up EC from seedling/transplant -> veg -> transition -> bloom and cuts out for flush.

-Mr. Fulvic/AGT-50 is always 0.5-1ml/gallon drench from transplant through harvest.

-Supplemental calcium is used right before flip either drench or foliar until they stop stretching or show flowers. Usually 1-2 weeks.

-Bloom booster is used week 4-6 of flower. I listed MKP, but I also like the homemade Hammerhead recipe.

-pH Down is used as needed to keep the pH 5.5-6.2.

-Insecticidal soap is used 15-60ml/gal. with Mr. Fulvic at 0.5-1ml/gallon foliar veg through transition. The fulvic makes the soap trans-laminar and provides foliar stress reduction.

This method exactly follows the tissue sample graphs that I always post from Agricen.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73546&pictureid=2041338&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73546&pictureid=2034732&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Have you heard of the product transport from optic Foliar? They say that it makes the spray be absorbed into the leaves. When you said the fulvic made the soap "trans laminar" it reminded me of the O.F. I wonder if it's just fulvic. They also claim that because it goes into the leaf better you only have to spray the tops of the leaves. And it allows you to spray with the lights on, with one quarter the amount of whatever ingredient you are spraying.
Would fulvic do all that?

X

xavier7995

Thank you for the info:) going to give mr fulvic a gander...if nothing else the name cracks me up. Any commentary on it providing those trace elements vs using something like m.o.s.t or azomite? I would like a wider range of ph for optimal feeding, so planning to look at it for that, but curious if its a two birds one stone situation where I could pick up those trace elements while addressing a larger concern.

asher1er

Veteran
Lots of big guys run Jacks.. some decent info you posted here BF! :tiphat:

I remember them days when Jacks would hang up the phone on me when inquiring about there ratios and custom blends in regards to marijuana plants :laughing:

I ditched the canna nutrients line after switching one room to jacks for comparison when I was going through 350-400gallons of water a day. I can honestly say, this shit works if you know what your doing:tiphat: :joint:

X

xavier7995

I think they finally realized the people using their products aren't growing tomatoes:) its...nice.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I was just going to ask which jacks line you guys use. It seems they now have a cannabis/hemp specific lines?

X

xavier7995

I use jacks hydro 5-12-26 and calnit. My water is very hard so I skip the added magnesium that is often recommended.

BillFarthing

Veteran
mr fulvic . . . trace elements vs using something like m.o.s.t or azomite? I would like a wider range of ph

Mr. Fulvic has a full range of chelated minerals and trace elements and the proper amount of iron. MOST is the standard for trace elements, but is not chelated.

Azomite is awful for arsenic and aluminum content. It is in a soluble metal salt that can bioaccumulate and cause toxicity in the case of aluminum.

I was just going to ask which jacks line you guys use. It seems they now have a cannabis/hemp specific lines?

Everything JR Peters touches is gold. I like Oasis HydroFeed for soft water or Jack's TAP for hard water for a 1-part. Jack's Classic hydro is the standard for a 2-part and is a perfect ratio for most plants.

Latest posts

Latest posts