What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloner system question

AloeRuss

Crown Jewel of the Legion
ICMag Donor
Hello

I am in a situation where my clone survival/success rate needs to be near a 100 consistently.
Normally it’s at 65-70. I have been struggling with low humidity.

I am considering purchasing a cloner system.
Anyone have used it? Is it consistent? Does it work?

F2F

Hiya AR,

The method in this link is suitable for smaller numbers of cuts.

But by the sounds maybe you need something more high throughput than this?

Peace
F2F

roybart

Get a humidifier, the beast I bought can humid up a room to 70% pretty quick and it drinks about 5 gallons a day to do that. If you can close out the clone area with plastic sheets or what ever you can keep it very sticky

ElGato

Veteran
- build some bubble cloners, they are easy to make and maintain, and they're unbeatable for reliable cloning.

I have a DIY 45 site and an older 15 site cloner, mine are on a smaller scale but there is no reason you cant make bigger units. If you do make them, make sure you keep the cuttings stems submerged about an inch in the water, it just works better that way ime

as long as ambient temps are low to mid 70's, there is no need for a water heater and there is no need to PH the water either

>> I usually get 98%+ rooted within 1.5 - 2 weeks, strain dependent of course

tons of threads here about them: https://www.icmag.com/modules/Find_Threads/index.php?stext=bubble+cloner

good luck to ya

growlegal

Veteran
I have an EZCloner 60
and use straight well water with 99% success
I probably have 100 % success if I waited for the last slow ones to root
But when a batch comes out every two weeks a fresh batch goes in
Good luck

Veggia farmer

I got adviced too to use them bubble cloners. I had a lot to do so I bought, will build next time. Like Elgato say, they are easy to make.

Are going to use the cloner from nutriculture (120) for the first time today, right now, just getting a cup of tea first:)

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
The thing is that I need to make 300 clones once a month. I wouldn’t even know how to build something that big.

ElGato

Veteran
Manifold cloners are great if you keep them cool and clean them regularly.

Bubble cloners do the same job, but they do it for less money

pros and cons:

- both surround the cut stem with highly oxygenated water

- both are very capable units with success rates of 98% +

- Manifold/aero cloners use an expensive Danner pump which
produces a good amount of heat because it sits internally in the
cloner reservoir

- Bubble cloners use a cheap aquarium air pump which produce very
little heat because they are kept outside of the reservoir

one could probably build 3-4 bubble cloners for the price of one Manifold type Aero cloner

I have nothing against the manifold type cloners, and if you want a store bought unit they may be the way to go.
...but I am a DIY kind of guy and I did my research years ago, for me it's a no brainer as to which one is more cost effective

ElGato

Veteran
The thing is that I need to make 300 clones once a month. I wouldn’t even know how to build something that big.

the answer is to build six 50-site units, or five 60-site units

if you really need a solution for your cloning needs .. this is it

my 45-unit is made with a 3.5 gallon tub, a $15 walmart air pump and two $5 air stones. ...they are really cheap and very reliable

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Bubble cloners do the same job, but they do it for less money

pros and cons:

- both surround the cut stem with highly oxygenated water

- both are very capable units with success rates of 98% +

- Manifold/aero cloners use an expensive Danner pump which
produces a good amount of heat because it sits internally in the
cloner reservoir

- Bubble cloners use a cheap aquarium air pump which produce very
little heat because they are kept outside of the reservoir

one could probably build 3-4 bubble cloners for the price of one Manifold type Aero cloner

I have nothing against the manifold type cloners, and if you want a store bought unit they may be the way to go.
...but I am a DIY kind of guy and I did my research years ago, for me it's a no brainer as to which one is more cost effective

What can I use if I need to have 300 sites build. Or 3, 100 sites machines?

ElGato

Veteran
Is your 45 unit one fits under 4x2 T5 lamp?
What light do u use?

you don't need much light, I am currently using two 8.5 watt LED bulbs for my 45-site unit

to give you a better idea here are a couple shots of my old 15 site unit, made out of a 1 gallon tub, these pics are probably about 15 years old and this cloner is still going strong

the inserts are made of 1" PVC (using a 1 3/8" hole in the lid)
they have an O-ring around them to keep them in place and a 1" piece of foam inside with a slit for the Cuttings.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Then never mind building anything.

I use Peat Pellets in a tray with a humidity dome (70 pellets per tray). I did about 400 this year like this. Don't go for the 50 pellets in one tray. They're too big (50mm) and can give you grief. Go for the smaller 70 pellets in one tray.

Also, remove the dome for 5 or 10 minutes a day. Let them breathe.

[iframe1]Zo6AjQtPyWg[/iframe1]

You can stop watching the video once the douche bag song starts.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
See. This is my issue. I spoke to 3 different people who do clones and they all insist on their way being only way.
The guy I spoke to last night swears not to open the trays for at least seven days. Keep em sealed” he says.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The only reason you want to keep them sealed is so you don't have to mist them. But to each his own. I know people who do clones in rockwool and rapid rooters. It's all just the same thing. Potato - Potahto.

If you're going to be cloning so many, you'd better be doing some testing if you never did bulk before. Buy two trays and seal one shut. I also suggest you do more than you need, pick the best and cull the rest.

I built 3 different cloners and all failed me. I was running out of time so I tried the Jiffy Pellets and it worked 100% for me. Easy and fool proof (for me).

It seems to me you need to do a lot more reading and watching YouTube videos on how people do it. Take everything you've discovered, make a decision and test it.