What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning/Pruning Question

I've got three mother plants that are outgrowing their space & need to be pruned back and/or cloned. My question (or curiosity) was, what would happen if I left all of the large Dane leaves intact, of which there are many, and pruned back all the rest cloning what I cut off? Would the plant survive, would new growing shoots replace the ones that were cut back from different areas over time? Would it just remain a stalk with lots of pretty fan leaves?

Thank you for your time.

MedFaced

If the plants healthy, you can trim it down dramatically and it will come back no problem. I don’t cut clones anymore but when I did I took them from every part of the plant. Old growth, new growth, I noticed no difference. Just as long as the cut stem is strong enough to support itself.

Mr. J

You have to leave a node with a growing tip, or the potential to grow a tip. If you were to remove the branches that grow from the main stem, right down to the main stem, but leave the fan leaf that they're growing from the base of, then it's just a stick with leaves. Sometimes a new shoot will sprout out of an old node at the bottom of a woody stem but I wouldn't count on it. Other plants such as peppers can be pruned back to nothing but a node, even if that node has been scraped clean of any growing tips, and still sprout new tips. Not cannabis though.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've got the same problem. I've got 2 mother plants I've pruned alot. But I'll probably have to cut some tops back . My other mothers are kinda squat plants. I'm gonna clone mine again I about a week probably. I've removed a few branches but you can't tell a difference

NENugger

On topic of cloning and pruning but about pruning the cutting itself. Question, I see this in videos at commercial greenhouses. why do they clip the tips off of some of the fan leaves I see in the domes?

Fixer

On topic of cloning and pruning but about pruning the cutting itself. Question, I see this in videos at commercial greenhouses. why do they clip the tips off of some of the fan leaves I see in the domes?

To reduce transpiration. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts