What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root rot prevention in rockwool?

samiam

What are you guys using in Rockwool to prevent root rot?

It seems pots of rw get really water logged in the bottom of the pot. Even with a layer perlite in the bottom.
Like the top drys out way to fast, and still soggy on the bottom.

davidyhan

Try watering less amount of water so it only saturates top layer. For example if you water 500 ml at a time and u see the the entire rockwool get wet cut it in half or even more so only top gets saturated and it gives the bottom of rw time to dry out.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Never let it dry completely out, it should always at least be a tiny bit moist before the next flooding. This keeps the pH from crashing and the nutrient strength from spiking, both which will cause root rot.

Keep the rockwool less than 75F? Not sure, but I believe there's a max temp rockwool can handle before heat related root damage begins.

Keep your feed low. The more floodings you have each day, the lower the nutrient strength should be.

RockinRobot

Had the same issue using rockwool croutons in flood and drain once. Have to keep root temp lower and let rockwool dry out more (water less often). I found the reservoir temp stayed <72 yet the rockwool, which was much closer to the lights, got much warmer. I was unable to lower the room temps, to keep the root temps lower, so I stopped using rockwool and switched to Hydroton.

You can also try a layer of Hydroton under the rockwool instead of perlite. May help drain better.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
You shouldn't be getting root rot in Rockwool. Could be a temp issue within the room. Environmental controls is key to a successful and bountiful harvest. Also..they could be too close to the lights.

I had major root rot in my last two runs. I'm thinking its from watering the rw with warmer water. Now the temp is always under 76f. I haven't had a problem since.

troutman

Seed Whore
I tried rockwool once and initially I thought it would work well.
But then I had moisture issues also and went back to soil.
Soil is so much easier on the brain than rockwool.

bigbadbillybob

root it cubes are much better than rockwool. They don't affect the ph, or saturate like rockwool.
I wouldn't waste my time with rockwool, germ in a root it cube, then straight into hydroton- that's what you want.

Grow God

Try using a product like hydrogaurd. Works really well at prevention but won’t eliminate it once started.
I find two days of physan20 then straight to hydrogaurd is how you get them back on track.

samiam

I'm gonna try putting the pots into a root tapper bag to help insulate and reflect the light from the pot like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20180813_125752854.jpg
    IMG_20180813_125752854.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 22

insomniac_AU

I can only offer my observations, I don't know why this works but it does for me. I made my own simple hydroponic setup from stuff I bought from the hardware store because I'm growing in a bedroom in my house and any other kind of soil or medium is too messy and hard to deal with.
I cut my own rockwool blocks from slabs to fit my pots. The cuts are rooted in small rockwool cubes then transplanted to the rockwool in the pots for veg. There is nothing else in my pots no clay or anything just the rockwool.
The pump runs 24/7 so the roots are constantly wet even when the light is off and I don't have the problems described here. I'll clarify this and say the roots are always wet but not submerged in water, it's constantly draining. They are also exposed to air. The res also has 2 air pumps so the nutrients contain oxygen as well. The rockwool in the pots stays relatively dry not waterlogged anyway.
I'm certainly not trying to say I'm right just that this has worked consistently for me. Better than the systems I've bought from hydroponics shops anyway.
picture.php

picture.php

I just switched from rock wool myself because of these issues. I no that guys have great results with it so there is no denying that. I personally just couldn’t figure it out. Always had moisture problems so I don’t even root my cuts in it anymore. Anyways good luck brother hope you get it straightened out

I always water with water that's less than 76 degrees. Preferably 70-72 degrees. Easiest possible way to chill your res is to grab 2 1 gallon jugs and freeze them overnight. Put it in 30 minutes before you start feeding. Should be cool enough feed.

frostqueen

I use an enzymatic cleanser called Z7 and haven't had root rot in years. Half a ml per gallon and you're set.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I love Rockwool 1" rooting cubes WELL rooted transfer to the large 4"cubes and onto NFT hydroponics. if your ph is on point and you root them well then there is nothing that compares. fail the 1st stage is where most have problems that continue.