What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The VolksLED - The People's DIY Fixture

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suppose that I should clarify this one more time -as I've pointed out in the other threads that Doc is trolling his shit through, I never claimed that was a 12oz grow. I said that the average yield that I saw with the Hybrid fixture was around 12+ zips when using a scrog with 3-4 plants. The picture that Beavis has picked out above is two plants, LST'd.

DrFever

Veteran
Owe i see then this pic you posted here as you scroll down in your hybred thread as you stated is past due is not 12 oz + and its only 2 plants ??? looks like 4 plants in there could you post what your 12 oz + on average looks like then cause i am confused why would you post that pic and in same sentence mention you averages are 12 oz ??? Also i asked you what it cost you to build

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228247&page=6

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your reading comprehension is only exceeded by your spelling and punctuation skills, Doc.

Aotf

rives....

thanks for this thread, don't know if you check it, but still an excellent tutorial.....

I actually read this last, right around the time it was 1st posted. Loved that fan power supply you had, but never found it.

Tonight, read this thread again, by coincidence have a project going on, looked up the Kele PW2-12 and found one on Ebay and purchased it.

Also found the electrical wireway aka gutter aka trough, still a great idea. I work with Cree CXA and Vero cobs, and think a 6x6 would kill it with a few Vero 29's lined up on the outside.

Thanks again!

Aotf

Thank you.

I've been slowly gathering up some parts to do something similar with the CXA3070's.

I just picked up a couple of the Cree 3070 AB 3000k's, but honestly, the effiency output numbers according to LER for the Vero's [29's] has been redone recently and they are almost neck and neck with the 3070 AB's in terms of effiency and radiometric output as well. I can post a reference sheet if you would like. The Vero 29's don't do so good below 1 A or so, but over 1.4 Amps they shine.
Radiometric data looks promising too.

As far as an easy DIY cob fixture. Vero's have a few more advantage for myself right now especially with the new #'s provided by Bridgelux. The molex connectors are simple especially with Wago connectors [my new favorite for cheap reliability] and built in cob holders too. Availability and pricing, don't forget too, as I am sure you are aware, is readily available and cheaper per watt, respectively [not by much, but it is].

The bummer is that the Vero's have been around for a while, but only until recently have kind or remained "fringe". Yet, the few grows that are journaled, seemed to be dialed.

Thanks for that link, I actually scored one for a tad cheaper. Lucky me I guess...

Aotf

@rives

Did you solder the MOV onto the back of the IEC header? or were you able to order it that way? I have some EMI plugs that would replace the header, but I have this huge clunky surge suppresor out of a plug strip no less, and retrofit to my build....lame.

The MOV is the great idea as the only other protection I have planned for is a GFCI and drivers being fused on the DC side.

Any thoughts on wiring for safety....... too much/ too little [as in diminishing circuit efficiency needlessly] I truly believe that there can never be "too much" but as a inexperienced circuit builder, I want to build the correct circuit as well as "safest". Your thoughts are appreciated again, thanks!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I installed the MOV.

That header has a fuse under the flat plate beside the plug socket. I always build in protection at every level that I can. My grandfather was a belt & suspenders guy.

It isn't widely known or recognized, but MOV's will only take so many hits before they grenade - I had the enlightening experience of having a very large industrial one (roughly the size of a deck of cards, but substantially thicker) blow up over my head while I was staring into an oscilloscope. I use the term "grenade" literally - epoxy fragments went everywhere, and there was nothing left of the MOV except the back plate and dangling leads.

Aotf

Would it just be okay to piggy back a fuseholder onto the EMI plug?

I need to fuse the AC side as well because of the higher wattage I plan to run, so good reminder. I am out of practice since the last few builds have been very low wattage fixtures and I just fused the drivers with a GFCI.

Is the fuse before or after the MOV? I would imagine fuse 1st......

I came from the world of rallye cars. Overkill is not in a crew's vocabulary, lol. Maybe that is a similar to the "belt and suspenders" attitude!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure what you have in mind with piggybacking the fuseholder, but it should be fine anywhere that you can insert it into the circuit. In general, you want the fuse to be as close to the point of service as possible so that it protects ALL downstream components.

A GFCI is excellent for protecting power going to ground, but does nothing for sustained overcurrent protection that doesn't include a ground fault. In other words, if the device starts to melt down but doesn't short to ground (like in a plastic-cased driver enclosure....), then the only protection that you have is the 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker. AFCI's are a step up, because they include arc sensing, but the same thing holds true for them. For overcurrent protection, it is very hard to beat a fuse that is sized properly.

Mikenite69

Veteran
Wow very nice led DIY hats off to the OP. I would love to be able to build my own I might have to try it now.

Thanks rives for the tutorial.

jikko77

@Rives - man thanks for the hard work you've put in this.
I'm picking piece of your guide and making a simil "how to" in italian. thanks a lot!

I am currently running an experiment with a single 315 in a 4x4 tent (just under 20w/sq.ft.) and my preliminary impression is that the yield will be close to double my best run under LEDs. I will know in a couple of weeks or so.

I know this is really old, but i just ran across it so what the hell. How'd this turn out for you?

Mr. Roseberry

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know this is really old, but i just ran across it so what the hell. How'd this turn out for you?

Mr. Roseberry

Took me a while to root through my records!

The run yielded 277 grams (.88 gpw) under a single 315. This was the only time that I used one 315 in the 4x4 tent - it's just too much area to cover with my hood and a single lamp. Since then, I've used two fixtures in the 4x4 and one in my 30" x 30", and the yield normally runs around .95 gpw with either combination.

Latest posts

Latest posts