What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
:(
I´m currently having treatment for my shoulders and elbow joint so I know how much this type of pain sucks. Luckily the physio is helping :)
my MD keeps at me wanting me to exercise arms/shoulders. i'm somewhat reluctant as they hurt like hell NOW without further stressing joints with probably no cartilage in them for cushioning as it is.

Cuddles

my MD keeps at me wanting me to exercise arms/shoulders. i'm somewhat reluctant as they hurt like hell NOW without further stressing joints with probably no cartilage in them for cushioning as it is.
same here! Almost all of my Physio therapy has been massage. Which kinda surrised me because when the doctor prescribed it I just thought: you WHAT??? I can hardly move my arm!
But the massages really help. It was actually the therapist who decided how they approach the therapy and not the doctor.
They´ve now shown me some excercises I can do at home with a fitness band and I´m still getting the massage treatment . I´m much better already but I wouldn´t be without those massages, that´s for sure. They don´t just do the shoulders but the entire back and neck.
Maybe your doc can get you some on prescription too.

PS. The `likes´ function doesn´t show on some threads anymore including this one but it does on others. What´s going on ?

mike-or-ozzy

same here! Almost all of my Physio therapy has been massage. Which kinda surrised me because when the doctor prescribed it I just thought: you WHAT??? I can hardly move my arm!
But the massages really help. It was actually the therapist who decided how they approach the therapy and not the doctor.
They´ve now shown me some excercises I can do at home with a fitness band and I´m still getting the massage treatment . I´m much better already but I wouldn´t be without those massages, that´s for sure. They don´t just do the shoulders but the entire back and neck.
Maybe your doc can get you some on prescription too.

PS. The `likes´ function doesn´t show on some threads anymore including this one but it does on others. What´s going on ?

@armedoldhippy and @Cuddles, I been getting massages using Arnica oil and when she didn't use that oil, I did not feel as good after a treatment. For $10 USD you get a small bottle but it definitely works imo.
I have to pay for massage out of pocket, no insurance or script will cover it which is bs.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if you think someone is a genius or a fool, they now want you to type that out instead of just hitting the (y)or the (n). don't know if they get paid by the paragraph or what...:shucks::whistling:

Douglas Fir

this bread looks really nice actually. I´m about to make some bread too but this time I won´t be making my usual baguettes as I really can´t be bothered (too much work and time). I´m just gonna make a `quick ´ and basic one :)
Thanks. What's too much work for me is bagels and consequently I've never made a decent batch. It's really a production and I always cut corners. One day. Can't get good bagels where I live and it drives me crazy.

I see I'm not the only one who had shoulder problems. Mine happened a few years ago and took over a year to heal. Not sure what it was, maybe a rotator cuff issue? Caused by too much weight and probably bad form on my dumbbell curls. So I lowered the weight and switched to wall push ups instead of regular. I also took collagen which may have helped but I'm reluctant to recommend it because I may have had an allergic reaction to it and I stopped taking it.

Currently finishing my daily hot chocolate (1 oz unsweetened chocolate, water, and maybe a 1/4 teaspoon each of xylitol, vanilla extract and sunflower lecithin). The chocolate is Guittard's fair trade organic which has the lowest level of lead out of every brand I checked and I believe it was produced without child slave labor which is unfortunately still common in the chocolate industry.
choc.jpg

Cuddles

@armedoldhippy and @Cuddles, I been getting massages using Arnica oil and when she didn't use that oil, I did not feel as good after a treatment. For $10 USD you get a small bottle but it definitely works imo.
I have to pay for massage out of pocket, no insurance or script will cover it which is bs.
thanks, I had read about arnica for this sort of thing but I was sceptical as I only knew about arnica for other uses. I haven´t used it for years. A personal recommendation goes a long way :)
My masseur has used some sort of heat lotion once or twice.

Just out of curiosity- how much does a massage cost where you live?

Cuddles

Thanks. What's too much work for me is bagels and consequently I've never made a decent batch. It's really a production and I always cut corners. One day. Can't get good bagels where I live and it drives me crazy.

I see I'm not the only one who had shoulder problems. Mine happened a few years ago and took over a year to heal. Not sure what it was, maybe a rotator cuff issue? Caused by too much weight and probably bad form on my dumbbell curls. So I lowered the weight and switched to wall push ups instead of regular. I also took collagen which may have helped but I'm reluctant to recommend it because I may have had an allergic reaction to it and I stopped taking it.

Currently finishing my daily hot chocolate (1 oz unsweetened chocolate, water, and maybe a 1/4 teaspoon each of xylitol, vanilla extract and sunflower lecithin). The chocolate is Guittard's fair trade organic which has the lowest level of lead out of every brand I checked and I believe it was produced without child slave labor which is unfortunately still common in the chocolate industry.
View attachment 18978213
my shoulder got worse from training too. it was years ago but last year my elbow etc started hurting too so I actually went to the doctor and for once I´m glad I did.

I´ve never made bagels . They require some special type of dough, right? They do taste nice but it´s difficult to make a decent sandwich thanks to the hole :biggrin: and let´s face-it seems like too much hassle making them lol.
I first had bagels when I still lived in london
There opened a bagel shop in the area of town where I used to go a lot but when you get one to go they idiots cut them in half!! I hate that! I never went there again.

My hand held mixer broke down on me last month or so just when I was making cookie dough and right before I was almost done -Aargh. I was forced to buy a new one. I would never bake anything at all without this little helper, that´s for sure. Making bread dough by hand - forget it!

I´m taking a collagen powder along with HA again. HA is recommended for joints, amongst other things. The two are said work best when taken together. It dosn´t come cheap at all and so I only take about one teaspoon in my morning coffee which is not nearly enough I guess

Last edited:

Douglas Fir

This is an example of a good NYC bagel (Absolute Bagels):
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/CJrrmtLW3di5fcF6rVev6A/o.jpg

Nothing so special about the dough but ideally it should have some barley malt in it. You let it rise once, then form it into bagels by making a rope, looping a piece of the rope around your hand, overlapping the ends and sealing the joint by pressing and rolling the bagel on a table (which is critical -- see how the dough is twisted in the photo). Then let it rise another 24 hours in the fridge. Then boil it for maybe 30 seconds in water which also has a little barley malt in it (which gives it that slight glaze that you see in the photo). Then bake it.

Most good NYC bagels such as the ones shown above have virtually no hole but it doesn't matter because bagels this good don't require anything but cream cheese.

Cuddles

This is an example of a good NYC bagel (Absolute Bagels):
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/CJrrmtLW3di5fcF6rVev6A/o.jpg

Nothing so special about the dough but ideally it should have some barley malt in it. You let it rise once, then form it into bagels by making a rope, looping a piece of the rope around your hand, overlapping the ends and sealing the joint by pressing and rolling the bagel on a table (which is critical -- see how the dough is twisted in the photo). Then let it rise another 24 hours in the fridge. Then boil it for maybe 30 seconds in water which also has a little barley malt in it (which gives it that slight glaze that you see in the photo). Then bake it.

Most good NYC bagels such as the ones shown above have virtually no hole but it doesn't matter because bagels this good don't require anything but cream cheese.
man this does sound like a lot of hassle, lol. I´ve never seen dark bagels before or any other bread for that matter, very interesting. What are those about?

Douglas Fir

man this does sound like a lot of hassle, lol. I´ve never seen dark bagels before or any other bread for that matter, very interesting. What are those about?
Pumpernickel. Oh, you're missing out. Find a bakery that makes a decent raisin-pumpernickel and eat it with a little unsalted butter. Pumpernickel bagels are OK, but I wouldn't recommend. Sesame and cinnamon-raisin bagels are my go-tos. Normally untoasted with cream cheese. But a good toasted plain or sesame bagel with cream cheese and some good quality preserves? Raspberry or strawberry or something like that? Blackberry? Good stuff.

mike-or-ozzy

thanks, I had read about arnica for this sort of thing but I was sceptical as I only knew about arnica for other uses. I haven´t used it for years. A personal recommendation goes a long way :)
My masseur has used some sort of heat lotion once or twice.

Just out of curiosity- how much does a massage cost where you live?

This one is $50 per hour but others have been $60-$100 / hour.
How much do you pay?

Last edited:

Cuddles

This one is $50 per hour but others have been $60-$100 / hour.
How much do you pay?
if the masseur/ therapist is any good then it worth it I suppose but that´s assuming you can actually afford it too!
My physio therapy is on prescription and my insurance pays but I do have to pay some of it myself too. Not much by comparison however. I´m lucky but the doctor says they´re not allowed to prescribe too many because the insurance b*tches about it :(

Cuddles

Pumpernickel. Oh, you're missing out. Find a bakery that makes a decent raisin-pumpernickel and eat it with a little unsalted butter. Pumpernickel bagels are OK, but I wouldn't recommend. Sesame and cinnamon-raisin bagels are my go-tos. Normally untoasted with cream cheese. But a good toasted plain or sesame bagel with cream cheese and some good quality preserves? Raspberry or strawberry or something like that? Blackberry? Good stuff.
Oh right, yes! I forgot about pumpernickel lol But I´m not fond of it . I´ve always liked german black bread (with butter and cheese) but I haven´t been able to buy any for years. Darker coloured bread yes but not the real thing.
I guess this is why I totally forgot about it :biggrin:
A real bakery is almost impossible to find these days. They´re all factory breads just baked on location and they make money selling overpriced bread rolls with toppings :(
Bakers are a dying species :(