What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How are you labelling pots

NEED 4 SEED

Hello, just as the question says, what is your preferred method for labelling pots / plants in soil or whatever? Should be waterproof from seed to harvest, should be able to travel from pot to pot / plant to plant while repotting. Reusability would be a thing too. I've been sing these plastic key tags with a clear shield with the name on a paper under it but still the name gets smeared sometimes when water hits it. So, better solutions welcome.

DJXX

Veteran
plant marker tags on ebay..they are solid white plastic and you can write the strain on them, i suggest 4 " X 5/8" and you will have plenty of room for the information...DJXX

argo430

Veteran
white paint marker if the pots are black wipes off with alcohol for the next round

Attachments

• mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 9

starke

Sharpie marker for beer cups. White plastic plant label stakes from Wally World for pots. Alcohol removes Sharpie for reuse.

bigbadbiddy

Plant markers (plastic) if you are rich and famous.
Otherwise you can use those wood spatula things from the doctors office. They need to be replaced after each grow but they come as cheap as it gets. Or write straight on the pots and remove with alcohol, as mentioned above.

I think the plastic plant markers are cheap enough and i fail to see why anyone would wanna use anything else.
I have never seen them smear from water, just from me touching/rubbing them with my fingers. You can just remove the writing with your finger by rubbing or you can use alcohol to rub it off even faster. Can also bathe them all in alcohol but still will need to wipe the writing off when taking them out.

An interesting question would be how people label their clones/seedlings?

I simply used tape that I can write on and tape it all around the bottom part of the humidity dome thingy. Can just rip it off after they are transplanted and put new tape on there.
Drawback: I can only put clones/seedlings along the outside of the humidity dome thingy. The middle stays empty because I can't label it :-/
Before I tried those hanging labels that I just hung around the plant's stem. But when you transplant these things get hella annoying and you basically have to cut them off at some point. Do work well for seedlings/clones though.

I imagined I would do the tape method with my aero cloner as well.

Gry

Sla[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t[/FONT]s fro[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]m a se[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]mini blinds and a s[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]harpie.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Red Bear

I have used different color zip ties around the stalk before with a key on paper. Example red =gorilla glue, red and green = girl scout cookies.
You zip them on loosely, they stay with the plant

5lrootsexcel

801035-01_3.jpg

Multi color pack helps with differentiating strains. Since we go directly from plugs into cubes, each clone gets its own stake during transplant. During cloning, just tape a stake with the number to the dome. We've been pheno hunting so each stake gets a number that corresponds to the specific mom in the pool that we've narrowed down.

Wendull C.

Veteran
A lot of goid ideas here. One thing i have learned going from working alone to having helpers is every plant must be labeled from clone to mom, or clone to flower, unless mono cropped in the flower room.

amanda88

plastic peg cut from some bucket or some such

then marked with date of germ

strain

and expected harvest date

plus other useful info

like above each plant gets her own ID peg

good luck

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I usually just put a strip of duct tape on the container and mark it with a sharpie.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Scotch tape for the win, can be marked easily
with a silver or black Sharpie.

Pull a little extra and fold under to make a tab,
transfer from seedling cup all the way up to the
production container, lasts a long time.

Waterproof and mostly simple, if I drop a tray of
cups, it happens, no guessing about all the sicks
strewn about, lol

Fabric pots, not so much.

Lrus007

Veteran
the plastic labels stick in type and a felt pen.
at any garden store or walmart.
then i number them for plants.
then make a master cheat sheet with what number is what plant.
so #1 is schrom #2 is apollo 11 ect. ect.
makes things more easy to deal with a lot of plants.
then if you change a strain give it a used number.
then add it's name to your cheat sheet.
is cheap and they last a very long time.
best of luck
Lrus007

G

Gr33nSanta

I used to write on the pots until there was dozens of strains on each pots, then I started using tags (I re-use the tags from my veggies starts, upside down) I way prefer the tags, they simply follow the plants, on average, each plant is transplanted 3 times, ( in my system ) so if I write on the pots that is 3 times more labor to write on the pots, seems silly but it adds up, I ll never go back to writing on pots.

G

Gr33nSanta

the plastic labels stick in type and a felt pen.
at any garden store or walmart.
then i number them for plants.
then make a master cheat sheet with what number is what plant.
so #1 is schrom #2 is apollo 11 ect. ect.
makes things more easy to deal with a lot of plants.
then if you change a strain give it a used number.
then add it's name to your cheat sheet.
is cheap and they last a very long time.
best of luck
Lrus007

I like the number idea, I already use numbers for my list of moms that would allow to re-use the same tags over and over again, but I am not sure I would trust myself on that system.

Latest posts

Latest posts