What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor room Vs shipping container

TheReverend

I'm trying to compare costs and ease of build out on a new room versus converting a shipping container. Like most things in life, there are pros and cons, but I wondered if anyone here has thoughts or input and actual experience with one or both of these would be great.

Obviously I've done minor build-out before (my current setup), but what I'm talking about here is ground up type construction. Taking raw space (room or shipping container) and turning it into a dedicated, fully functional grow.

Andyo

Veteran
shipping container v room

shipping container v room

shipping container i had i put on a concrete base
It heated up a bit in the summer
being metal it was awkward to fix to
I had to insulate it .
If you can build an extension to your house ,if your house is brick built
Id say the better option.A

TheReverend

shipping container i had i put on a concrete base
It heated up a bit in the summer
being metal it was awkward to fix to
I had to insulate it .
If you can build an extension to your house ,if your house is brick built
Id say the better option.A

I wondered about the heat being an issue. I'm in the hottest part of SoCal, so that's definitely a concern.

Thanks Andyo

TheReverend

Does it have to be stealth?

If so there is nothing all that stealth about a shipping container with an electrical service and mini splits hooked up to it.

You'd want an insulated container, and once you finish the walls in the interior it's not a convenient shape to grow in.

I'd rather be in a building any day.

Stealth isn't a huge concern, but I see what you're saying. It sorta screams "GROWING POT IN HERE" when you have all the electrical and a/c running.

Your point about the dimensions make sense too. Once you frame up the walls, it's a fairly narrow space.

Thanks Smug Pepe

9DRAGONS

they look nice, but imagen that it a good idea to do all prefab before you move the boxes to location.
if you gonna build proper then you need a good budget

toohighmf

Veteran
I’m building an insulated shipping container grow for a client right now.
This container is 9’6” tall x 20’ Long x 7’8” wide. After insulation and laminate wall the dims shrunk 2” per wall/ceiling. Not ideal for big uncooled HID lights but LED’s to be the ticket. We made custom 32” wide tables to give us a 22” walkway down the middle. We did drain to waste with a bilge system, but could easily be recirc’ed too. We used a separate container for a mix/veg room. A 2 ton mini split cools 9x 515w quantum board led fixtures and Quest dehuey. I’ll be posting a thread here very shortly as clones just grew legs.

TheReverend

I’m building an insulated shipping container grow for a client right now.
This container is 9’6” tall x 20’ Long x 7’8” wide. After insulation and laminate wall the dims shrunk 2” per wall/ceiling. Not ideal for big uncooled HID lights but LED’s to be the ticket. We made custom 32” wide tables to give us a 22” walkway down the middle. We did drain to waste with a bilge system, but could easily be recirc’ed too. We used a separate container for a mix/veg room. A 2 ton mini split cools 9x 515w quantum board led fixtures and Quest dehuey. I’ll be posting a thread here very shortly as clones just grew legs.

Yea, let's see pics! Sounds really cool. 9 lights in that space is rad.

9DRAGONS

20ft long, @2.2 mtr wide or so minus wood and insulation

perhaps you could smash it and have 10 light or even 15 light if they where just cheap dutch barn reflector.

Nice idea but i dont think easy,
easy if you use pro all in one light and ballest gavita perhaps?, less cable to run blah blah

what is you budget?

Spaventa

Veteran
Years ago, there were this lot who has a clones operation just selling clones wholesale. They had a doubledecker bus I was told.
I imagined it must have been great with the electric generated by the engine and having an upstairs and downstairs, room to chill and the ability to clear off whenever :)
Its off topic, sorry but it reminded me

Drop That Sound

I would opt for a dry van semi trailer. they come anywhere from like 28-55ft and used ones are pretty cheap around here. The reefers cost a lot more but come insulated, and with AC. (usually the ones they sell don't function anymore, but could be serviced, or maybe even retrofit with new units)

Unless you could bury the container, which would be the best use for one, why not have it on wheels instead? You'll have to shell out on insulation either way, closed cell spray foam being the best.

Dry vans are cheaper than containers and if you know some truckers you could pick one up easily, or ask for delivery for a fee.

The cool thing about containers though, is you could build around them, unlike a flimsier dry van that would need to be reinforced..

toohighmf

Veteran
Reefers are cool, but most cheap used ones are pretty old or beat and have really thick insulation shrinking the inside dimensions. There’s ways to insulate a corrugated container without losing more space than .25” now. Though I totally agree that burying them and using geothermic cooling would be the most efficient way to run it.