What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight

Veteran
Looks like some badass thrips damage

Nope, not thrips, it is the dreaded fucking borg. These cats don't know what they are up against. Much respect but you will not kill this bug. A complete room tear down and nuking is all that will work.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Nope, not thrips, it is the dreaded fucking borg. These cats don't know what they are up against. Much respect but you will not kill this bug. A complete room tear down and nuking is all that will work.
hey midnight,
..I hear ya but maybe it comes down to what you call success. Before I applied predator mites in my flowering room I found Broad Mites on every single plant I looked at. Over the last couple days I have spent a good chunk of time going through my plants with the scope. I did not find a single living Broad Mite. Are there any left hiding that I didnt see..? I'd bet yes but there's also a population of predator mites that are searching for their next meal. As long as I keep vigilant with my pest scouting, I'll know if the broad mite population returns to a level that requires further action. In commercial ag it's refered to as economic threshold.

As far as the nursery goes & chem treatments... Storms point about not creating Super Broad Mites was spot on. I'm going to continue throwing different things at them all the way through veg. Will I completely eradicate them?...who knows. I do know that the population I had ran unchecked for months and with some initial treatments I've knocked them back to the point that my plants are starting to look healthy. I've been taught a lesson about the need to look at my plants with a scope on a very regular basis.

Supposedly this pest is more common in your neck of the woods. They don't like heat which we got here in SoCal. From the look of the plant you put out doors, you're populations are WAY higher than what I'm seeing. I can tell you that I would put a flame thrower to the plant you pictured. You've got a thriving pest hatchery going if the damage is that bad.

edit...
all this said, I won't be sharing any cuts with friends without them knowing I'm dealing with the "new herpes" called Broad Mites

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive been dealing with these mites the last 3 months now. seen my plants go from very very healthy to damn near dead in less than a few weeks. midnight, what youre showing on those leaves is not consistent with broadmite damage that ive been witnessing. they dont scar the leave tissue white like that. their saliva is toxic and causes the leaves to blister, crack, dry n eventually die. i suspect you have the dread two spotted spider aka the super borg aka spider mites on the juice. broad and cyclamen mites are in a different catergory than the two spotted but still will wreck your whole garden in no time. good luck.

got all my plants sprayed down last night with spinosad @60ml and few drops of dynagro protekt. wasnt shy and blasted the new growth with lots of water. got right up on as much of the new growth i could and gave it a heavy spray. after checking lots of leaves i only noticed a couple survivors. seemed to have killed a lot on contact. i know theres more hiding. gonna invest in some predator mites(thanks gt!) so i have something else in my arsenal to fight these little terrors.

Grow Tech

Veteran
gonna invest in some predator mites(thanks gt!) so i have something else in my arsenal to fight these little terrors.

Just remember that any sprays you use ( including residues ) will probably be toxic to the predators too. When you order the mites they suggest immediate release upon arrival. Just keep your timing in mind...
Also, the predators I suggested like humidity. They'll survive as low as 40% but I've been using a humidifier to raise mine. I've got good ventilation in my room but still a little nervous about growing mildew. The humidifier will be gone well before bud rot is a concern.

Treatment Update
I dunked my plants ( head first, not the root ball) into Dyna-Gro neem yesterday. I have done a through inspection of 2 plants and found no crawlers. I'll be going thorugh more plants later. I like dunking for coverage & IMO less danger to the applicant but Neem is probably better used out of a sprayer.

Midnight

Veteran
hey midnight,
.. I can tell you that I would put a flame thrower to the plant you pictured. You've got a thriving pest hatchery going if the damage is that bad.

lol, I feel like hitting myself with a flame thrower if I go near them. I have had them outside for about two weeks now and the cold has seriously slowed them down. I was just going to bury them but I thought I'd let them go and se what the cold does to the mite. Good luck man, I really hope you can get a handle on them without resorting to the measures I have done. All I know is that controlling them is not an option for me, those little fuckers have to die and my room MUST be clean and free of them. I am going to start a grow in there in about a day or so and I quess I'll find out soon enough if my efforts paid off. :tiphat:

S

Shan Diego

Update: I spent considerable time searching for survivors, and I have found none. Woo hoo! I love Avid! I did notice that in my clone domes, the plants closest to the no-pest strips were beginning to yellow, so I removed the strips just to be sure they were not overdosing and having some negative issues. No signs of life anyways, so no need for them. On my mother plants, the leaves have turned upwards again and the plants have resumed vertical growth. Sweet. I will probably hit them with Avid again in a few days just to be sure, but it appears this problem is solved.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Thanks Oldpink for the edit on the thread title!

Treatment Update-
The neem treatment i did caused some burning. I dunked the plants and despite mixing my solution regularly, I'm guessing there was a concentrated layer of neem oil on the top of the bucket...which then transfered to the plants as part of the dunk. Nothing fatal but probably cost me a week of veg time. Next time I'll use a sprayer.

The good news is that I have yet to find anything alive now that I've done 1 app of Forbid followed by the neem app.

S

Shan Diego

Another update: today the girls look even healthier. Noticeable vertical growth with even greener upturned leaves. I had been outright depressed when looking in my closet for quite some time, but the dark days are now gone and I'm returning to glory! I can't stop smiling.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Count me in as battling Broad Mites. Those little shits have been such a headache for me. I sprayed/dipped my plants 4 days ago with Monterey Spinosad 60ml/Gallon. Im expecting Forbid to arrive in a day or so as a follow up treatment. I hope that will help knock them back.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for their plants to recover after treatments?

S

Shan Diego

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for their plants to recover after treatments?

Spinosad had no effect on my little devils at 60mL/gallon.

After using Avid @1.5 mL/gallon, it took mine a few days until they looked happier. It has been 6 days now, and they are showing definite signs of improvement and they clearly show new vertical growth and happy leaves. They were in truly bad shape before treatment, I was too ashamed to take or post pics.

Dave Coulier

Veteran

After using Avid @1.5 mL/gallon, it took mine a few days until they looked happier. It has been 6 days now, and they are showing definite signs of improvement and they clearly show new vertical growth and happy leaves. They were in truly bad shape before treatment, I was too ashamed to take or post pics.

Thanks for the feedback on Spinosad and Avid. I inspected some of my plants, and Im still seeing adults walking around, and virtually none dead. Im gonna order some Avid as my counterpart to Forbid.

I feel your shame. I used to be able to grow some gorgeous plants, then all the sudden, plant health dropped off. Its a struggle I hope no one has to deal with.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Conserve SC (Spinosad) 6.6 ml per gallon for broad mites ... take a leaf a dip it 130ml per gallon of Spinosad and see if it kills them on contact...

Grow Tech

Veteran
Hey Dave- Sorry you had to join the Broad mite party...At least you know what you're dealing with now

Flower Room Update
I looked at every plant in my flower room this morning and was unable to find any signs (adult or egg) of mite activity. That also includes predators. Predators move much faster than any pest mite I've seen and the only way you might see them is if they run through your scopes field of vision or have slowed down to feed on prey. Today I saw nothing. There was one spot that had a couple of brown pistils that I'll be keeping an eye on but it's possibly physical damage. "Cautiously optimistic" sums up the mood here.

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback on Spinosad and Avid. I inspected some of my plants, and Im still seeing adults walking around, and virtually none dead. Im gonna order some Avid as my counterpart to Forbid.

I feel your shame. I used to be able to grow some gorgeous plants, then all the sudden, plant health dropped off. Its a struggle I hope no one has to deal with.

these two posts. straight up. im not expert but i can grow a good lookin plant and these mites really had me thinking twice about what i was doing. trying to be brave and post up some pictures lol maybe tonite

my spinosad, then neem plus hsps seems to be working(like gt said , cautiously optimistic). every plant has new vertical growth and flowers are starting to pick up like crazy on the green crack. lots of new white pistils as well. ill be spraying down again tonite with neem then in two days another shot of spinosad. maybe its the pest strip in the room but after my first spray down with the spinosad + protekt it didnt kill em on contact but the next day there were a shit ton dead. then the neem seemed to wipe what was left out. i know theres still ones hiding though. so small. im a little too far into flower to feel confortable using the forbid so im just gonna keep at it with the regime i have. maybe grab another hsps for the smaller flowering tent so instead of alternating days each tent will have one.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Cautiously optimistic
I brought this DT7 girl out of the flower room for some pics this morning. She had Broad Mites running unchecked through week 4 of 12/12
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Shes at day 46. I'd normally be about to flush in prep for a 9 week finish but I'm going to taker her another week or two past that to try to make up for her stunted start. I plan on hitting her with MOAB in a week to try to force a little more bulk. With her rock star genetics she's no where near what she should be but....I'm cautiously optimistic I'll be able to finish with something worth smoking. The only treatment she's had is predator mites ( the flake stuff in the last pic is the corn meal the predators came on)

Last edited:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Growtech, before I realized I had Broad Mites, my plants would be stunted in flowering for about a month. Resin would still begin to develop even though all the affected plants had stunted darkbrown/black pistils. Then suddenly they would start to flower normally. Always from the bottom up. If what Ive read, broad mites work they're way from the bottom of the plant upwards, so I imagine this could be why lower growth flowers quicker as there should be less of a broad mite population there.

Ive never been able to find any mites on fully developing flowers. I take it the broad mites dont like the sticky nature of the resin heads, and move off to find easier food allowing the buds to flower properly. Have you noticed this trend too?

Grow Tech

Veteran
Growtech, before I realized I had Broad Mites, my plants would be stunted in flowering for about a month. Resin would still begin to develop even though all the affected plants had stunted darkbrown/black pistils. Then suddenly they would start to flower normally. Always from the bottom up. If what Ive read, broad mites work they're way from the bottom of the plant upwards, so I imagine this could be why lower growth flowers quicker as there should be less of a broad mite population there.

Ive never been able to find any mites on fully developing flowers. I take it the broad mites dont like the sticky nature of the resin heads, and move off to find easier food allowing the buds to flower properly. Have you noticed this trend too?

Well...yes & no.
This summer / fall I had a plant outdoors that I now believe had Broad Mites. Without treatment it did what you mention, where it was stunted at first & then started to flower more normally.

My Broad mites were almost excluseively concentrated on the newest growth tips when I finally id'ed them. Thats one of the reasons i missed them for so long. I tend to look for pests on the lower shaded leaves.

When I first spotted them on my stunted buds, they were moving amongst gland heads seemingly happy. I do beleive that most pests, including Broad mites are adverse to large amounts of resin. WIth that in mind i have continued to check my lower leaves to see if they've migrated down. So far nada.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I have to take my word back about Monterey Spinosad not working. Its been 6 days since I treated a clone of a mother with Spinosad at 60ml/gallon, and left the mother untreated. Before I did this, the clone looked a little better than the mom, but not to the extent in the photos. There is a marked difference in health between the two. The new growth in the clone is much healthier than its been in over a month. There is still some recovery left, but the plant is clearly back on the right track.

I have no problems finding mites on the untreated lady, but I can't find any on the treated one, and I couldn't spot any eggs, but Im sure there is still some left lurking. Hopefully, my forbid will be here today, or tomorrow.

Attachments

• Spinosad Treated & Untreated.jpg
    Spinosad Treated & Untreated.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Untreated Sideshot.jpg
    Untreated Sideshot.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Spinosad Treated Sideshot.jpg
    Spinosad Treated Sideshot.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Spinosad Treated Closeup.jpg
    Spinosad Treated Closeup.jpg