What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone had any luck using lady bugs for spider mites?

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get Spinosad. I found a ladybug in my growroom earlier this month. Not seen it since.

They are just not reliable enough.

R.Fortune

Greenheart

Veteran
If tenoftrades has not found the solution to those mites by now I would hate to see that room.

I have a 3 year old colony of ladybugs. Once a year before winter they get a 1500 count booster to the population but for the most part they feed, fornicate, and find little cracks and crannies to hide in. I have not had issues with a barebulb verticle setup and ladybugs. CFLS, Floro tubes, and the batwing did seem to collect bodies. Upon initial release of 3000 ladybugs they were all over the place. Now they seem to be content to stay in the bloom area since a population has established itself. An occasional stray when I take plants out but they like to stay where the action is at. Just to mention it I have a buddy that has had mite problems ongoing for years. I visit him still and take preventive measures when returning to my area but I don't have problems with them. He on the otherhand doesn't like to kill things, tends to procrastinate, and has decided the best stratagy was to try and breed a resisitant strain.

Granger2

Veteran
Longipes are the ones I have used whenever I have an outbreak. They work well. Easy to apply, but follow Hydromite's advice on the carrier. I haven't had mites in over a year. Now I spray with Azasol in the 1st week of 12/12. Seems to be all that is needed.

Spinosad works well, but you MUST USE A WETTING AGENT, like CocoWet.

Azasol is oil free, causes no phytotoxicity, is more systemic, no smell after drying [to humans], no mess, similar price, dissolves instantly. More effective.

Best way is to mix in a bucket, cover top of root ball with a rag or cardboard and immerse everything above ground. That way you get 100% coverage, and dunking them washes off many mites and eggs. Also, spray walls, doors, floor, entire container including the bottom. Non messy since it's oil free.

The big key that has given me a once and for all kill [till I carry more in], is to do a second dunk 36 hours later, followed by another in 48. This kills any hatchlings before they have a chance to lay more eggs. Plus you're done in 4 days. I usually follow this procedure using Spinosad w/wetting agent the first 2 treatments, with Azasol for the 3rd. Good luck. -granger

medicalmj

Veteran
I wanted to use spider mite predators, but I would have had to wait was 4 days longer. Just hoping the ladybugs are enough to eat the small colony and get me through the next 3 - 4 weeks. Thanks for everyone's input.

I found that lady bugs won't end an infestation, but they will slow their expansion. I found lady bugs to work best after you've eliminated most and only a few dazed straglers were left. Preds work pretty good, better than ladys, if you can get enough live ones.

Consider might wash or essential oils like ed's zero tolerance or sns 217. You can and should do one of the above now since you still have 3-4 wks. I probably wouldn't spray 2 weeks before harvest and would spray w plain water a couple times in last 2 weeks (mites don't like water being spray on them). Neem is non toxic but will leave a nasty smell when burnt.

PauliBhoy

1) Never release mature ladybugs for pest control. Always use larvae, which consume 5-10X more pests than their adult counterparts. Also, larvae don't have wings, so they can't fly away or into lights, etc. for quite a while.

2) Only one species of ladybug - Stethorus japonicus - has shown to be effective against two-spotted spider mites. Again, one nymph will consume many times more spider mites and eggs than an adult.

The trick is finding a commercial source for larvae!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i'm 50 days into 12/12 in my 4x3.5ft tent- i released 500 lady's 2days ago- they r moving around quite a bit- i hope they are feasting...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I posted a thread around here somewhere with a video. Ladybug dropping a present on a wall. Personally, if I have 't figured out mites in veg then nothing goes in flower. Got mites in flower? I finish the run if it's short and chop if too long left till harvest.

Safer's soap actually works in veg, when you are dilligent and break their breeding cycle. They're slaves to it. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts