What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco too acidic for canna bio nutes?

I can't get canna bio Terra or Terra professional plus here so my options are limited.. On the website of a reseller in the UK they state that canna bio Terra is buffered at pH 5.8 which sounds awfully low.. As low as coco almost so I thought what's the difference?

Carraxe

Veteran
The difference (why you shouldn't use bio nutrients in coco) is that coco is practically inert and the bio nutrients do interact with soil. If you use exclusively terra bio nutrients, it is very likely you'll get some deficiencies.

If you use usual soil or hydro nutrients in coco, you'll need a boost in Ca and Mg

Cheers

I was thinking of using some dolomite lime to counteract the nature of coco to cause cal mag deficiency.. Canna bio Terra plus uses coco, peat (which I also assume would be "inert") with some "organic components".. Do you think if I mix in some biochar it would be OK? By "inert" I'm assuming you mean there is no bioactivity? I'm not sure why being "Inert" would make that much difference as I believe the nutrients in biocanna are already broken down and are bioavailable..

Carraxe

Veteran
Try with dolomite if you want. I would use any hydro nutrient with Ca and Mg extra, but I wouldn't use bio nutrients

Rondon

Cannas bio line of nutrients are not meant to be used with straight coco coir. Canna has said this many times. Use a coco coir specific base fertilizer when using coco coir substrate. Canna bio line is meant for heavily amended peat based soil type mixes teaming with micro life.

Is peat more friendly to micro life? It's very acidic.. Isn't that a concern? Not to mention the risk of fungus gnats apparently...

How 'bout growing with bio canna range in canna Terra professional? Apparently canna Terra professional plus is pH neutral which sounds ideal but it is not available where I live.. Only Terra professional.. :(

MrBungle

Sphagnum peat moss is the media that generally has a low pH....

Coco coir is usually a neutral pH (7.0)...

The most common problem folks have with coco is salt content.... So they tend to wash their coco before using it....

Universe

I used biocanna in bloom with coco this summer I had no problem of ph .. I irrigated at pH 5 and she increased to 6 .. increased slightly every day, and irrigated again ..
next time I think to use biobizz and calmag. Someone uses them in coconut?