What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chaouen - The Moroccan Rif in May 2009

BlackMagic

I spent a week in Morroco last year. The smoke was terrible, atleast i think.
Couldn´t find any high quality at all, not even i Marrakech. But hey that´s maybe my own fault?

This was the best i could get:

About 3 grams, 5 USD.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Here's a road trip you will never forget.

Fly to Spain.

Fly to Mellila (the Spanish Enclave)

Cross into Morocco at Nador and spend the night...

Take a grand taxi to Al Hoceima...watch out for the heroin addicts wanting to be your special guide...

Another grand taxi to Azila, south of Ketama high up the side of a mountain...

Then on to Chef Chaouen and the Asila Hotel to live a bit luxuriously for a week perhaps... great black gold hash here for $25 for five grams. Nice. Get a silver sipsi.

Then bus to Fez and explore the ancient city.

You then take the Marrakesh Express train thru Casablanca to the truly ancient city of Marrakech. Get lost in the souk.

Bus to Essaouira and stay at the hotel Jimi Hendrix once owned and stare at the castle in the sand melting into nothingness...smoke more hash.

On to Agadir and the Euro Trash Resort Capitol of Morocco.

Bus out to Ouarzazate and Zagora to see the Sahara, and go back the same way you just came.

Took two and a half months and it was a great trip...hope you get to enjoy it as much as I did...

B

bonecarver_OG

black magic - best hash in morocco doesnt move far from the RIF. in marakech it IS possible to get good hash but not of the standards of the rif. also marakech is WAY more expensive! :D

best bet is to go to CHAUEN first and then to marakech or the beach etc.. just hide it well!

peace

BlackMagic

black magic - best hash in morocco doesnt move far from the RIF. in marakech it IS possible to get good hash but not of the standards of the rif. also marakech is WAY more expensive! :D

best bet is to go to CHAUEN first and then to marakech or the beach etc.. just hide it well!

peace

I was far away then, Agadir and the coast up to Marrakech :wallbash:
Great "Fly-away-tea" in the 'kech souk atleast :muahaha:

limey

Here's a road trip you will never forget.

Fly to Spain.

Fly to Mellila (the Spanish Enclave)

Cross into Morocco at Nador and spend the night...

Take a grand taxi to Al Hoceima...watch out for the heroin addicts wanting to be your special guide...

Junkies! lol!

In fact if you are coming from northern Europe you can fly from Brussels/Bruxelles direct to Al Hoceima with Atlas Blue (flights only a couple of days a week).

It's not hard to find some very good hash in Al Hoc.

Another grand taxi to Azila, south of Ketama high up the side of a mountain...

God though I have seldom if ever been hassled as much anywhere as I was on arrival in Ketama. So many people wanting you to visit their farm... very persistent they are too. I gave up and went on to Chefchaoen. In fact have had this experience twice so clearly didn't learn the first time round.

Then on to Chef Chaouen and the Asila Hotel to live a bit luxuriously for a week perhaps... great black gold hash here for $25 for five grams. Nice. Get a silver sipsi.

$25 for 5 grams? Blimey! I hope it was good stuff mate. Mind you, Chaoen isn't as cheap as it once was...

Then bus to Fez and explore the ancient city.

You then take the Marrakesh Express train thru Casablanca to the truly ancient city of Marrakech. Get lost in the souk.

Stay at the Hotel Essaouira in Marrakech

Bus to Essaouira and stay at the hotel Jimi Hendrix once owned and stare at the castle in the sand melting into nothingness...smoke more hash.

On to Agadir and the Euro Trash Resort Capitol of Morocco.

Euch! Agadir! Go to Taghazoute or Mirleft or one of the other surfer beaches on this coast.

Bus out to Ouarzazate and Zagora to see the Sahara, and go back the same way you just came.

Dont forget the stunning Todra gorge!

Took two and a half months and it was a great trip...hope you get to enjoy it as much as I did...

Sounds like you had a great time.

Ma'aslaama

:joint:

whiterabbit9

Veteran
But it is always like being in paradise, like being in a weird scenario of a crazy movie...

my thoughts exactly (weird scenario of a crazy movie)

i love the blue on the houses

you say police don't care, but I read a really nice article (with photographs) over at another site, they say police have a look out for smokers, catch them and want $, and they talk about torture "flying"

I would love to go and visit, I don't want to be paranoid tough

limey

my thoughts exactly (weird scenario of a crazy movie)

i love the blue on the houses

you say police don't care, but I read a really nice article (with photographs) over at another site, they say police have a look out for smokers, catch them and want $, and they talk about torture "flying"

I would love to go and visit, I don't want to be paranoid tough

Not a chance, not in the Rif. The only way you would attract police trouble there - for dope - is to get into the smuggling game. They really dont care about tourists smoking reaosnably discreetly there. Shelve your paranoia - go and check it out!

Tommy G

:|Sweet Seeds®|:
Vendor
Veteran
Yeah, limey knows what I was talking about when I said that the cops don't really care about us. Well, I'm glad they are there, to provide security to the tourists.

Of course you should be discrete. I've never smoked when I knew that a cop could be seeing me, except if he was far enough for me to extinguish my smokable and put it in my pocket before he reached me. Anyway, if they catch you, it seems that you easily get away giving them some 20 euros or so. They don't want to have tourists going to jail for smoking hash because it's that king of tourism that brings money to the country and if I knew I could be arrested I wouldn't have gone there. And with me thousands of people each year would avoid the country.

-p_

limey

Well, I'm glad they are there, to provide security to the tourists.

Of course you should be discrete. I've never smoked when I knew that a cop could be seeing me, except if he was far enough for me to extinguish my smokable and put it in my pocket before he reached me. Anyway, if they catch you, it seems that you easily get away giving them some 20 euros or so. They don't want to have tourists going to jail for smoking hash because it's that king of tourism that brings money to the country and if I knew I could be arrested I wouldn't have gone there. And with me thousands of people each year would avoid the country.

-p_

Bang on.

Moroccan cops are pretty strict: I have been shouted at for photographing a couple of them inspecting a truck ; they were not happy, but they're not keen to bust you. (be very careful with bribery though.. using the old "can I pay a fine now?" line is fairly safe but they dont like to be seen to be corrupt so discretion, discretion)

Another reason to be discrete is that - though millions of moroccan men of all ages smoke kif (weed) - hash is not traditionally smoked and the locals dont like their country being seen as a destination for "drug tourism". Respectability is very important to these people, perhaps rightly so. So keep your smoking to your hotel room/roof top, or otherwise out of sight. And if you travel any distance with it - especialy outside the rif - take as little as possible and hide it well.

Happy travels

:joint:

txuck

Not a chance, not in the Rif. The only way you would attract police trouble there - for dope - is to get into the smuggling game. They really dont care about tourists smoking reaosnably discreetly there. Shelve your paranoia - go and check it out!

MMMm take care about that, police doesnt like people using hash outdoor in the terraze, and right now is not like 10 years ago, now they prefer in chaoen regular tourist than hash tourist or mules.... goverment from la Junta de Andalucia , Spain, and the european union, gives a lot of money to chaoen for streets, clean the buildings, etc.... choen changes a lot last 10 years...
I know people fuck up with hash and small amount of coke, and spend 1 year at qued lau jail (not nice place for caucassians).... but if u do it by yourself and dont make too much "noise" still is a nice place for relaxing....

babtaza o Anasar is the place for good smoke,,, but always is a nice police control in this road in the cross too fes.....
Agur:dueling:

L

levant

Great pics!!
Makes me want to go!
But Im already going kerala this year, so maybe next year.

limey

babtaza o Anasar is the place for good smoke,,, but always is a nice police control in this road in the cross too fes.....
Agur:dueling:

Hi Agur!

I agree, it's always best to be discreet and Chaoen certainly isn't like it was 10 years ago!

Do you know anywhere nice to stay in Bab Taza or Anasar? Are there any friendly guest houses there away from the main road?

I have driven through on the bus (to/from Al Hoceima/Ketama) but I haven't stopped...

best wishes

Limey:joint:

B

bonecarver_OG

two friend of mine just came back from their first visit to morocco :D i told them forehand that only place to get hash good and cheap is in the rif.

they spent 2 weeks in essauira and they were pretty dissapointed with the scene there.

only heard briefly they got hold of some good smoke in the end - but also i know they came back with a hell of a cold that seems almost like the new flu thing hehe but i bet that is from the COLD atlantic water :D hehe

i dont think they swallowed any eggs :( hehehehe

peace :D

txuck

two friend of mine just came back from their first visit to morocco :D i told them forehand that only place to get hash good and cheap is in the rif.

they spent 2 weeks in essauira and they were pretty dissapointed with the scene there.

only heard briefly they got hold of some good smoke in the end - but also i know they came back with a hell of a cold that seems almost like the new flu thing hehe but i bet that is from the COLD atlantic water :D hehe

i dont think they swallowed any eggs :( hehehehe

peace :D

Elssauria is near marrakech,,, and as u know is a nice place for surfing...:dueling: i like this place,,, last time i went it was full of old french people having holidays like here mallorca or alicante...:abduct:
Not the best place for buying good quality i think.... but still nice place for relaxing... and not too far from marrakech---:yeahthats ( one of the most magic places ive been)

agur majetes

B

bonecarver_OG

txuck - not too far south from essauira is a lovelly little beach town called SIDI KAUIKI. in the south part of the beach closer to the rock there is a great swell and there was lots of french surfers there when i was there. also in this place it was easier to find good hash since in the camping i stayed - at that time were a young guy from the RIF, with very good hash, him self beeing a avid smoker too. it was honestly one of the best connections in questions of relaxed chats, tajins over camp fires, and carrot chillums of good pollen.

in marrakech the quality in general is low if one doesnt spend an enormous amount of time looking for it in the most un expected areas. here also the little forgotten dusty shops with some odd items are the best bets to go. have a tea, talk business. spend the time its necesary to get the price that you want. and if you are happy you can also buy some souvenir :D

marrakech has a certain magic indeed and one has to be seriously stressed not to enjoy it. i had a great time sleeping on the roof of a nice hotel in tradicional style, since they rented out blankets etc cheap for sleeping on the roof. it was all nights a hash smoking craze and lots and lots of green teas. dude they make those teas damn strong :D

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts