What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fundamentally understanding soil components

h.h.

Veteran
Or I could use the premix from KIS or BAS or anyone really.
Nothing to do with understanding soil.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't think I can add anything which hasn't already been said better than I could, but I will reiterate soil test. It gives you hard numbers to work off of.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IF only those "pre-mixed" formulas actually WORKED as advertised. Those formulas are built and based off bro science and the current trendy ingredients at the time. Nothing more.

It does little good to use those mixes if you have no idea what to do when they fail, whether that be the first round or the third. There are FAR too many posts in these forums discussing the minor issues that have arisen from those mixes.

The BAS mix, based on Coots and Gascan ultimately, worked so poorly the whole crew started promoting bottled foliar sprays as necessary to get the plants to perform right - I mean, "to their full potential"... ROFL. There is only how many modified and various alterations made to that formula across the several hundred pages of it's pre-launch promotion?

Better to teach a man to fish - the only people who think otherwise stand to make $$$$ off your consumer dependence.

dank.Frank

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IF only those "pre-mixed" formulas actually WORKED as advertised. Those formulas are built and based off bro science and the current trendy ingredients at the time. Nothing more.

It does little good to use those mixes if you have no idea what to do when they fail, whether that be the first round or the third. There are FAR too many posts in these forums discussing the minor issues that have arisen from those mixes.

The BAS mix, based on Coots and Gascan ultimately, worked so poorly the whole crew started promoting bottled foliar sprays as necessary to get the plants to perform right - I mean, "to their full potential"... ROFL. There is only how many modified and various alterations made to that formula across the several hundred pages of it's pre-launch promotion?

Better to teach a man to fish - the only people who think otherwise stand to make $$$$ off your consumer dependence.

dank.Frank

Yes it sure got complicated since the days of compost - topsoil - peat moss - sand/gravel; topdress with horseshit and apply ACT once the plants are growing.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Sand is heavy and doesn't add aeration or drainage does it? 100% sand or sandy soil drains well but sand doesn't help clay soil from what I understand. Any bulk source of organic matter like plant and manure compost is what you want.

xBOBxSAGETx

dank.Frank

So when I first started researching I was basically following everything Jeremy was saying from BAS but I realized that his soil is basically the coots mix like you said. Then I remembered that he runs a business and makes money selling me. I stepped away from his advice. These companies and people are so intoxicating from my rookie perspective. They sell these hopes and dreams like Pryamid Schemes lol.

So let’s say I build a soil, send it in for lab testing and it totally sucks, how do I know how to amend what’s wrong with my soil? Does the company who does the soil test for me tell me what to do? That’s where I’m lost.

Why isn’t there a company out there already that sells the perfect soil? SHEESH

xBOBxSAGETx

Bob- generally where are you located? I dont want your address or anything. But of we know what city you're in we can help fimd some good local sources for the stuff you need. You can get a bale of peat at home depot for under $20 bucks. Pumice (Or perlite) can be found at most land scraping supply stores for a very reasonable price. You might be able to get some good bagged compost at the same place. Finished compost doesnt smell like shit so you dont need to worry about it stinking up your ride. Basic amendments like crab, kelp, alfalfa meal can be bought online on relatively small quantities. Its not the best stuff on the market but Down To Earth brand is good and available alot of places. Other than those amendments bone meal is good for it's P content. Thats all you really need other than some rock dust. Gypsum is good and available pretty much every where for very cheap, home depot has that too. In my area granite dust is available from rock quarries or land scape supply stores. Those two mixed together work well.

Don't over think it. Just go for it. Worst thing you can do is nothing at all.

Denver, CO

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That would be why I suggested you read my current thread that I linked to previously. The first 20 pages or so are mostly soil talk without a single plant picture. The thread address that very issue you are having.

I'm not telling you to read the thread to get the soil recipe I posted there. I'm telling you to read the thread to understand the process I went through to arrive at that recipe. All the mathematical formulas are posted and instructions on how to use them as well. Full transparency.

Part of the reason for going into such a depth about the topic is to help organic growers stop guessing when it comes to re-amending the soil. Soil test only serves to help you understand what is there. If you don't test again after each flowering cycle, you don't know what was removed or what to add back. It's not a magic wand. It's data. It's information for you to assimilate into something meaningful. The more data you collect, the more clear the picture becomes of what is taking place.

If you only knew the thousands I have spent on soil tests over the last two decades to figure all this out. Trial and error. You learn more by doing than you do by theorizing. Get growing. Start screwing things up so you can learn how not to the next time.

And read the thread. LOL.

dank.Frank

h.h.

Veteran
I included BAS amendments out of generosity. I wanted to highlight that there were several brands beside the one in the previous post.
I don't reamend. I top/side dress. Easier for me.
You can feed your soil or you can teach your soil to feed itself.

The ability to accept and hold nutrients rather than just throwing in a bunch of food. If that makes any kind of sense.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're all good, h.h.

I need to hold my tongue more when it comes to those mixes as they ARE valid consumer options. I'm bitter about stuff that happened nearly a decade ago and it would do my soul well to just let it go. (I try to be honest, even when it's not flattering to myself.)

If I had to pick, KIS > BAS. I still have the post where the owner of BAS got all excited because he was launching his company about the same time the ROLS group was trying to get all their names published in a High Times article glorifying their ways. The only thing Jeremy had to say - ohhhh, ohhhh, pick me. Send them all my way!!!!

For him, it has always been, day one about getting people to give him their money. I don't honestly think that I can say the same about Tad. He at least wants to help people; I just hate he had to undermine me to do so. But, that type of back-biting was all too common in the private organic groups. Everyone vying for their opinion to be the authority on all things.

h.h. - you were in the groups. You know I'm not wrong or exaggerating. It was a toxic environment and it nearly ruined my love of growing.

I need to be careful, in hindsight, to not become what I despise. I should encourage people to try new things. If it doesn't work out for them trying these products, I'm not to blame. I suppose that is part of the learning curve as well.

dank.Frank

St. Phatty

Hey guys. I used the search and really came up with nothing. Maybe because I’m a rookie and probably don’t know the vocabulary well.

Allow me to preface that this is my first grow. I wish to not buy prepackaged soil/soiless medium because I simply want a better understanding of what I’m doing.

I want to build my own soil and I see several recipes on here with feeding guidelines but what I’m trying to understand is; how are you getting to that point of saying that’s the percentage of what you want in your soil and know that your pH level and nutrient levels are going to hit their marks without “seasoning” the soil with all types of products.

In the audio engineering world we have a saying “You can’t polish a turd.” Well I don’t want my soil to be a turd. I want it to be as good as it possibly can be, from the start.

Paradoxically, some of the best soil inputs available are turds.

If you can find the book, I suggest finding out what textbook is used in university Soil Science classes, then trying to get a copy of that, preferably used.

I learned hot composting from a semi-retired Berkeley soil science prof., who was running the 22 acre facility in Sonoma County.

They had access to chicken turds & ground up dead chickens from all the poultry facilities. Those dead chickens smell WAY WORSE than anything a turd can conjure up smell-wise.

But after 10 weeks of composting, it all smells like primo soil, with a primo NPK balance.

h.h.

Veteran
picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're all good, h.h.

I need to hold my tongue more when it comes to those mixes as they ARE valid consumer options. I'm bitter about stuff that happened nearly a decade ago and it would do my soul well to just let it go. (I try to be honest, even when it's not flattering to myself.)

If I had to pick, KIS > BAS. I still have the post where the owner of BAS got all excited because he was launching his company about the same time the ROLS group was trying to get all their names published in a High Times article glorifying their ways. The only thing Jeremy had to say - ohhhh, ohhhh, pick me. Send them all my way!!!!

For him, it has always been, day one about getting people to give him their money. I don't honestly think that I can say the same about Tad. He at least wants to help people; I just hate he had to undermine me to do so. But, that type of back-biting was all too common in the private organic groups. Everyone vying for their opinion to be the authority on all things.

h.h. - you were in the groups. You know I'm not wrong or exaggerating. It was a toxic environment and it nearly ruined my love of growing.

I need to be careful, in hindsight, to not become what I despise. I should encourage people to try new things. If it doesn't work out for them trying these products, I'm not to blame. I suppose that is part of the learning curve as well.

dank.Frank

I think I was named in that HT article as someone experimenting with no-till and lumped in with Blue-Jay, when I actually had been using it for years. I certainly didn't ask to be in the article. I did point out that the flower they pictured in the article had botrytis....pretty funny.

I honestly think you are a little over-shooting how Tad began working on soil mixes. He honestly does not remember you but perhaps it was subconsciously assimilated. I know he approached me about working on ingredients but I was not really into that and suggested he work with Coot. BTW, Tad was selling brewers, compost and ACT ingredients before I came on his scene.

By group, do you mean The Organic Fanatic Collective?

KIS

Frank,

To this day, I really have no idea why you have this grudge against me. My soil mixes came from open conversations on this forum, a ton of reading and research, and long conversations with Coot and Microbeman. I then took all the amendments I had accessed to and started experimenting. Honestly I feel like I got pretty luck on the first iteration and have just been refining it over the years. Whatever you feel I did to undermine you, I'd love to get out there and move past it. I'm sorry you feel that way, that's not a good feeling.

I've tried really hard to build a positive reputation for both myself and my company in this industry. I do agree this industry is full of less than honorable people and companies. If you want to have a phone conversation or try and hash it out via DM, I'm open to trying again.

KIS

I'm attaching two soil tests of our Commercial Growers Mix from Logan Labs. This test is a good way to see everything that's in the soil, it does NOT tell you what's currently available to the plant right now. You can get your own test with Logan for $25 to compare to these results. If you go with a different lab, your numbers will change too, as there is some variability across labs.

However, these tests can give you some basic target levels for nutrients relative to what the test recommends. For example, I like to run K about double what they recommend for base saturation % with cannabis. The one thing I would lower on these tests would be sodium, but cannabis can tolerate it. I would also raise the Mn, B, Cu, and Zn slightly, but this gets tricky when mixing 100 yards at a time and I don't like to add manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, etc...because many organic folks have issues with it.

It really just depends on your approach, but I hope this is helpful. Most importantly, focus on getting good compost or earthworm castings in your mix, so you have good biological activity and diversity. This is super important if you want these nutrients to be available to the plant.

Happy growing!

Attachments

• Growers Mix 1.jpg
    Growers Mix 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Growers Mix 2.jpg
    Growers Mix 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 17

h.h.

Veteran
I was in the forum not the ROLs group.
I followed them a little bit. Figured most of it was a bunch of hogwash.
Things here got somewhat single minded, so I left. A bit commercialized.

We have to broaden our scope though.
"Bro science" is a better term than "stoner science".
I believe in stoner science. Its how it was done in the old days. Kept the farmers fed while all the bro scientists were going hungry.
You prove it out in real life.
You learn who to follow.
picture.php

Bob- just Google "buy compost near me" theres tons of good supply companies in your area. BAS is somewhere in Colorado but theres tons of other ones. Theres lots of rock quarries in your area too. Lots of Basalt in Colorado. Or if you just need a small amount you can buy it from one of these organic supply stores and save your self the trip. I was going to link some but theres lots of them.

On another note I think its pretty ridiculous that anyone here would be upset with any company (be it KIS, or BAS, or whatever) for any reason. These guys supply a market with demand. Thats what all businesses do. I dont understand why it would matter if they were part of this forum, or even if they learned everything they know from other people here. Thats the whole purpose of this place. If They took free info and found a way to monetize it then good for them. Thats the American dream. I'd love to make my living working in the organic industry.. The fact is that because of social media forums are slowly dieing out. KIS and BAS are doing alot for the organic cannabis industry from spreading knowledge to supplying goods. Since when did making money become "evil." I'm pretty sure the the money making factor is whats been fueling the entire industry since way back in the 60s. Anyways... Rant over. Love, peace, and chicken grease.

Latest posts

Latest posts